Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Yeah one of the first things I noticed was Smith's voice was had such an authentic shock and desperation in it. Great to see the visual reaction though.

Paulie looks like he had the Artem fight purse on Joshua, Macklin looks like he had his fight career earnings plus the MTK Marbella nest egg on Joshua :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

So is this Joshua being found out, or another Hasim Rahman who was underestimated by the champ, and will be soundly beaten in the rematch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Soundly beaten in the rematch.

It's happened so many times before when a long serving champion gets defeated the initial reaction is relief that the pressure of being a champ is no longer on their shoulders but that will change in a few weeks and the hunger will be back.
    Joshua will be champ again and the fights with Wilder & Fury will be back on the table (both Wilder and Fury will beat Joshua )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

pac_man wrote: »
    I love watching this. It really captures the instant shock and other emotions you go through when you see something dramatic happening in a fight.

This is my favourite reaction to the first AJ knockdown

*turn down speakers, there's a lot of yelling*

I know you guys love a good conspiracy theory. I've just been watching this video

As I said before the one thing that had me curious was why AJ's father was giving out to Eddie Hearn after the fight. Hearn himself said that he was just disappointed with the loss saying "Anthony's dad was upset with the result". And AJ himself said "My dad's upset, losing isn't a good night".

I would be thinking similar to the guy in the video. I think AJ was unwell before the fight, but they could not pull him out as they would have to pull the whole card. Subsequently, AJ's father was furious with Eddie pushing ahead with the fight knowing that AJ was not right. And AJ himself was happy enough after the fight cos he knew that he had an injury going in to the fight so could absolve himself of any responsibility for losing the fight.

It's the only way that I can make sense of everybody's reactions.

*please note this post is for entertainment purposes only*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Deiseboy01 wrote: »

The fact that he had facial damage going into the fight speaks volumes too, I suspect he had a rough camp, may have been badly hurt in sparring which made him tentative on fight night.

This might explain why Joshua's father was having a go at Hearn, Hearn might have pressured him to go through with the fight. I think he may have got knocked out more than once in sparring. He just did not seem to be his normal self. If i recall correctly he did mention he was not doing as much sparring prior to the fight...
    If he can get his confidident back, and uses his natural advantages, he can win the rematch. I don't understand why he did not stay behind his jab more, and why he lowers his head. The only thing he can't learn is to move his head, and i guess that was the major flaw waiting to be exposed, and Ruiz with his quick handspeed managed to be the guy to expose this. This talk of Ruiz being a limited fat lard is misleading, he had a good amateur background.

A good boxer, even if he is not aestheticially pleasing to look at will, beat a person who looks the part, but doesn't have the skills! Ruiz proved this!

God some of the conspiracies are funny. Nigerian Boxing Twitter claiming Joshua was drugged prior to the fight is a peach.

Apparently some lad called Joey Dawejko is the guy who battered Joshua in sparring and gave him an eye injury and it is the reason Joshua's auld lad went spare at Hearn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Finally watched the Taylor fight.
    I don't see the controversy. I saw her winning 5 of the first 6.
    The only clear Persoon rounds were 8 and 10.

Angliru wrote: »
    God some of the conspiracies are funny. Nigerian Boxing Twitter claiming Joshua was drugged prior to the fight is a peach.

Apparently some lad called Joey Dawejko is the guy who battered Joshua in sparring and gave him an eye injury and it is the reason Joshua's auld lad went spare at Hearn.

He's the fella in the right. I can see why they got him in as a sparring partner

kuzmin-dawejko%20(5)_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Only thing that makes sense is that Joshua was carrying a recent concussion from sparring , the shot in the 3rd didn’t look that hurtful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Morrison J wrote: »
    Most disappointing thing about Joshua last night was how he basically quit. Thought he was tougher than that. Can get away with a dodgy chin to an extent if you're tough (ie Wilder) but if you've a dodgy chin and have the quit in you then it's a different story. 

Obviously all the talk of Joshua getting knocked out by the likes of Price, Okolie and Dubois in sparring are all true. 

If he was knocked out 3 times in sparring how did the fight go ahead. Surely the team around him would have found a way to cancel. If the Ko's in sparring are true it's like they wanted him to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Maybe hes just not that good ,

Maybe hes just not that good ,
    I'm not saying hes good. He has limitations but if a fighter has been KO'd 3 times in Training there should be a duty of care to the fighter and the fight cancelled. It doesn't say much for the Team around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Whyte knew AJ growing up and has constantly said his persona is fake ,
    Even goes as far as callimg hin Big Femmie his street name ,

Its not just AJ either Hearn and sky cleaned up Whytes imagine and persona and also Bellews , these guys are different people than you see in from of camera ,

Bellew is a sky darling now but he is roughs they come, youtube his missus and her homophobic slurs when she though she was off camera ,

Yeah whyte has constantly said he is fake, saw them dms to eddie chambers where he said you are a disgrace to the superior black race, media didnt bother pick it up because it came from a black guy. If fury had same something about superior white race the media would have hounded him.

I don't see the controversy. I saw her winning 5 of the first 6. The only clear Persoon rounds were 8 and 10.

It's funny. I was watching American commentary, and at around round 7 they were saying "I can't think of any round that I can give to Persoon. One maybe". So I watched the whole end of the fight thinking that as long as she didn't get knocked out she would win. And then I hear all the ringside guys saying that they pretty much ALL had Persoon winning or drawing the fight.

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Yeah whyte has constantly said he is fake,

yeah when people were saying about AJ being fake earlier on the thread, Whyte's comments were the first thing that I thought about. He has been calling him fake for years.

whyte uploaded his own opinions on the fight on his channel earlier today.

Dillian Whyte hasa different theory (2:55)

https://youtu.be/AsSSi-spfBM?t=158

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

A HUGE claim from Whyte! He's so hard to understand with his mumbling accent but did he actually say AJ wasn't right because he couldn't "juice" over in the States with stricter rules??

A HUGE claim from Whyte! He's so hard to understand with his mumbling accent but did he actually say AJ wasn't right because he couldn't "juice" over in the States with stricter rules??

That's what he said.

He's the fella in the right. I can see why they got him in as a sparring partner

kuzmin-dawejko%20(5)_1.jpg

Apparently he's doing an Insta Live Q&A later about the sparring and that. Obviously either didn't KO him or else Eddie chucked him another bag of cash just to come out and say "good hard sparring, caused a little bit of bruising but no knockouts". Scenes if he comes out and says "yeah sparked him"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't see the controversy. I saw her winning 5 of the first 6.
    The only clear Persoon rounds were 8 and 10.

That's what I said yesterday I only seen her win two rounds the 10th and it must have been 8 like you said and then she done well for the last 30 seconds of the second round but a round is not won in the last 30 seconds unless the opponent didn't hit you in the other part but Katie did.

Another reason people think Persoon won is because she was really strong in the last round but the fight is not won in the last round it is over all the rounds unless she got the knock out which she didn't.

Katie even said it herself she was strong in the early half and Persoon was at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Yeah I watched that earlier today thought I heard him saying that but wasn't sure. He'd want to be careful with statements like that. Whyte is like a bull in a china shop with some of his comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Just watched back the Taylor fight too. Here is my scorecard:
    [B][U]KT      DP[/U][/B]
    10      9
    9       10
    10      10 *
    10      9
    10      10 *
    10      9
    9       10
    9       10
    10      9
    [U]9       10[/U]
    96      96

* Could be viewed marginally for DP

Both were holding, but I noticed DP right forearm smashed into KT quite a few times.
    Also, DP had a greater tendency to grab KT by back of head and punch her. KT had better skills on show too, so from a purists point of view that maybe was a better show with the judges.

Initial viewing of rounds 3 and 5 I felt were close and gave them as a draw or marginally to DP. However, rewatching rd 3 I felt Persoon flailed about quite a bit swinging at fresh air due to KT footwork. For rd 5 KT started better and again DP was swinging at fresh air, although finished the round more impressively IMO.
    So I'm looking at 96-95 to KT or a Draw.

A rematch is badly needed here. I felt KT was a bit naive and fought the fight DP wanted at too many times. I don't think a professional like KT should gas against an older part-time boxer like DP.

I would not argue against a one round victory either way, but I had it a draw. To say a KT victory was robbery is incorrect. It was two different styles - the footwork, slipping and combinations from KT versus the bruiser in DP. Robbery is Tyson Fury vs Wilder.

I hope that a rematch is next for KT to put this to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just watched back the Taylor fight too. Here is my scorecard:
    [B][U]KT      DP[/U][/B]
    10      9
    9       10
    10      10 *
    10      9
    10      10 *
    10      9
    9       10
    9       10
    10      9
    [U]9       10[/U]
    96      96

* Could be viewed marginally for DP

Both were holding, but I noticed DP right forearm smashed into KT quite a few times.
    Also, DP had a greater tendency to grab KT by back of head and punch her. KT had better skills on show too, so from a purists point of view that maybe was a better show with the judges.

Initial viewing of rounds 3 and 5 I felt were close and gave them as a draw or marginally to DP. However, rewatching rd 3 I felt Persoon flailed about quite a bit swinging at fresh air due to KT footwork. For rd 5 KT started better and again DP was swinging at fresh air, although finished the round more impressively IMO.
    So I'm looking at 96-95 to KT or a Draw.

A rematch is badly needed here. I felt KT was a bit naive and fought the fight DP wanted at too many times. I don't think a professional like KT should gas against an older part-time boxer like DP.

I would not argue against a one round victory either way, but I had it a draw. To say a KT victory was robbery is incorrect. It was two different styles - the footwork, slipping and combinations from KT versus the bruiser in DP. Robbery is Tyson Fury vs Wilder.

I hope that a rematch is next for KT to put this to bed.

Katie likes to brawl for the crowd but she is a really good boxer so if there was a rematch she should just box and doge and would win easily and not got caught up in a brawl which is where DF would have an advantage.

DF is tall and longer arms meant she could just throw punches that hit katie which is evident in the last round.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Katie likes to brawl for the crowd but she is a really good boxer so if there was a rematch she should just box and doge and would win easily and not got caught up in a brawl which is where DF would have an advantage.

I hear ya, but she didn't do that on Saturday night. About 1min into rd5 she was on the ropes and waved on DP twice.:confused: DP finished that round stronger.

She was fighting to unify and either didn't stick to the gameplan and started f***ing about or alternatively just could not deal with the DP pressure.

She can't always get two bites at the cherry. I don't know what went wrong there but DP had previously only fought outside of her own country once and does not have near the same level of skill as KT, yet many said DP won.

Also, DP has lodged a complaint: https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/boxing/delfine-persoon-to-lodge-complaint-with-boxing-chiefs-and-says-she-should-have-knocked-out-katie-taylor-38174371.html

I don't particularly care much for DP style or her words - hopefully something lost in translation:
    Persoon added: "By the way, I wouldn't want to be like her. Winning that way ... Okay, officially she is the winner, but if I would watch the match again in her case ... I wouldn't want to go on living like that either. Rather lose it unjustly than win unjustly."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

If he was knocked out 3 times in sparring how did the fight go ahead. Surely the team around him would have found a way to cancel. If the Ko's in sparring are true it's like they wanted him to lose

These are rumours that go years back. He wasn't sparring those three in this camp. Just been big rumours that in the past all three have knocked Joshua out in sparring. The more we see his chin exposed the more the rumours add up tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

AJ was never anything special, he looks better than he is if you get me. Powerful lad but seriously lacks movement, he's Bruno 2.0 decent but never an elite fighter. seems to cope really badly under pressure and can't fight going backwards. Joshua is a nice lad but i hate to say i told ye so, he isn't and never has been in Fury's league anyone with eyes can see the gulf in skill between the two. The warning signs have been there Klitschko should have had him out of there, Whyte rocked him as did Povetkin. Can he come back from this? Maybe but he needs to make a lot of improvements if he's going to avoid this in the future. Delighted Hearn's golden goose was cooked, things not looking for great for Sky boxing atm.

Morrison J wrote: »
    These are rumours that go years back. He wasn't sparring those three in this camp. Just been big rumours that in the past all three have knocked Joshua out in sparring. The more we see his chin exposed the more the rumours add up tbf.

I haven't followed the build up at all, gone off Heavyweight boxing. It's nothing like it was in the past.

Sorry, the way the other poster said it I thought it was during this camp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 335 ✭✭.Charlo

• Advertisement

anyone saying that Ruiz is was a fat mess, take a fecking look at his arms.
    They are absolute cannons (his shoulders are the same from other pics). Add in the extra momentum from the excess weight (and the obvious muscle under it) and that is a lot of hitting potential.

_107212458_gettyimages-1147415149.jpg

Advertisement