Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

He can definitely stand to lose twenty pounds or so but he's a mobile lad. There was a video that went fairly viral of him doing those agility circuits where you have to hop in between and over things. A lot of the time those things are fairly useless when applicable to sport but it does show that there is a legitimate athlete in there. And of course his hand speed is impressive for his size.

A big takeaway I got from this fight is that I'm x2 more confident Usyk ****s **** up at HW. If Joshua couldn't handle the speed and activity of Ruiz he's going to have nightmares keeping Usyk away from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Angliru wrote: »
    He can definitely stand to lose twenty pounds or so but he's a mobile lad. There was a video that went fairly viral of him doing those agility circuits where you have to hop in between and over things. A lot of the time those things are fairly useless when applicable to sport but it does show that there is a legitimate athlete in there. And of course his hand speed is impressive for his size.

A big takeaway I got from this fight is that I'm x2 more confident Usyk ****s **** up at HW. If Joshua couldn't handle the speed and activity of Ruiz he's going to have nightmares keeping Usyk away from him.

Might sound a bit odd but if I was him I wouldn't be losing any weight,
    His cardio is fine so why change ?

He isn't going to be replacing the fat with enough muscle to weigh the same so he would become to light , remember he was already significantly lighter than AJ carrying all that fat ,

Yes cutting with would be good for his over all health
    If he loses that weight he simply would not be a heavy enough to compete in the division

Angliru wrote: »

That highlight bit is very important though.
    That weight behind quick hands? My junior cert physics teacher is droning on in my head "F=MA"

But yeah, under that excess weight there is a strong and trained body

He isn't going to be replacing the fat with enough muscle to weigh the same so he would become to light , remember he was already significantly lighter than AJ carrying all that fat ,

If he loses that weight he simply would not be a heavy enough to compete in the division

Yeah maybe the extra weight is somehow working for him and he's not going to change a thing after what happened Saturday I just think it is less than optimal to be that heavy at that size.

And he might lose a lot of hitting power, even at a lower division.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Hang on. Aj was 17 ‘9 and Ruiz was 19 ‘2. He could easily come down to 17 ‘5 and be a force. Unless aj was concussed or unwell and Ruiz is turning into a hype job. Let’s see him win again against a tough opponent before proclaiming his greatness

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Hang on. Aj was 17 ‘9 and Ruiz was 19 ‘2. He could easily come down to 17 ‘5 and be a force. Unless aj was concussed or unwell and Ruiz is turning into a hype job. Let’s see him win again against a tough opponent before proclaiming his greatness

Oh your right sorry some how I thought the weight was the other way around ,
    I was basing it off Ruiz being 17'9 and AJ being 19'2 no idea how I thought that,

But still if I was him id be staying close to the weight that brought me to the party ,

Oh your right sorry some how I thought the weight was the other way around ,
    I was basing it off Ruiz being 17'9 and AJ being 19'2 no idea how I thought that,

But still if I was him id be staying close to the weight that brought me to the party ,

He is the unified WBA/WBO/IBF/IBO champion with a record of 33:1 (22 KO)
    I really don't think that he needs to change too much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Ye if it ain't broke don't fix it i guess, end of the day all you need in terms of fitness in boxing is to be able to do 12 good rounds. Joshua has a body cut to shreds and yet his stamina is poor. Funny enough it seems lads with more weight like Ruiz and Fury actually have better stamina than the more body beautiful lads.

You know with all the coverage being on Joshua i have to say fair play to Ruiz. He really is a solid fighter and has a hell of a chin and heart. Seems like a genuine nice guy as well, delighted for him that whatever happens he's set himself and his family up for life and written his name into boxing history. If he looses every fight from here on out he can still say at one point of his life he was the unified HW champion of the world. Fair play to him.

• Advertisement

You know with all the coverage being on Joshua i have to say fair play to Ruiz. He really is a solid fighter and has a hell of a chin and heart. Seems like a genuine nice guy as well, delighted for him that whatever happens he's set himself and his family up for life and written his name into boxing history. If he looses every fight from here on out he can still say at one point of his life he was the unified HW champion of the world. Fair play to him.

That's it, people looked at him and dismissed him. He has a solid record and is well able to get stuck in.
    And yeah, no one can take his victory from him no matter his next result.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Those hooks are lightning.

The big thing no one in the media seems to be talking about is that Ruiz is not know for being a hard hitter, So how in the world is AJ going to take shots from Wilder,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

The big thing no one in the media seems to be talking about is that Ruiz is not know for being a hard hitter, So how in the world is AJ going to take shots from Wilder,

Ruiz Jr is much better boxer than Wilder, Wilder doesn’t have the ability to set traps and box like Ruiz did. In saying that one of Wilders bombs would more than likely land eventually.

Wilder definitely hasn't the technical prowess or understanding of Ruiz but he does have length, x infinity power and he has improved drastically with his punch placement and IQ. He would have flatlined Joshua the other night and likely does whenever they meet. Joshua just has far too many flaws to not get caught at some stage. It'll be interesting to see what comes out about Joshua's camp. He didn't look atrocious but he did look a little off. Remember he did struggle with Povektin and Takam too at times, two other small Heavies. Maybe it is just his kryptonite and way too much is being looked into the events before the fight?

Can't wait for Dave Allen/David Price to call out Joshua in the ultimate sh*thouse move after the ultimate sh*thouse fight in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is the story about AJ having concussion prior to the fight gaining any traction or is everyone still of the belief that he was 100% prior to the fight and there was nothing else to it other than a good punch from Ruiz?

Joshua-David Price
    David Haye-Dereck Chisora
    Tony Bellew-Dave Allen
    Danny Williams-Audley Harrison

Jim Watt & Nick Halling on commentary. Sweet Caroline as entrance music for every fighter and the only music allowed between every round. Kalle Sauerland providing the refreshments. One ultimate ****house event. PPV only on Sky Sports.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Is the story about AJ having concussion prior to the fight gaining any traction or is everyone still of the belief that he was 100% prior to the fight and there was nothing else to it other than a good punch from Ruiz?

He wasn't 100 percent seen a clip on Facebook of his father discussing with someone him being unwell 72 hours before fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

How would the let a boxer box with concussion

Bowlardo wrote: »
    How would the let a boxer box with concussion

61fbd426421299a037fce2f447b6-256x300.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Any HW can be beaten by another one. In no other division do you get the same amazing upsets. IT's because they all have enough power to ko a horse.
    Joshua was boxing pretty well but was off colour from the word go. He may have been complacent or unwell or injured. It seems clever and speedy to have him blame himself and yet everyone else around him are allowing the rumor mill to go crazy. Is this a smart way to show off a broken toe?
    People are talking about how different this was to Lewis vs Rachmann but I can see similarities. It wasn't one punch but one punch did the real harm. That first hook around the ear softened Joshua and the other one scrambled his brains. Then he took another heavy right hand to knock him down. Recovering from that was a tall order, especially on a night when he didn't look his best. He didn't seem that well warmed up, he had cuts very late in his camp, the ring walk was delayed, he may not have traveled well lots of things were stacked against him. It reminded me a little bit of Joe Louis vs Max Schmeling. An early hit did all the harm but it took another 8 rounds to ko him. There was nothing left in him. Joshua was the same.
    I think he will come back. He will box the face off Ruiz in the rematch and will jab, move and tie up. I think he will be more cautious and that could be his downfall for the future. Having the fight in Britain is pivotal. Calling him Bruno 2.0 is a bit premature.
    There is no evidence that Wilder would smash AJ yet, based on this anyway. It depends how he recovers, or doesn't. Talking about Wilder having infinite power is ridiculous as well. He's ko'ed some poor fighters and has a brilliant record but he's flesh and blood too and has plenty of vulnerabilities. I still think Joshua would beat him. I'd like to be wrong but it's my opinion.
    Whyte talking about Juice was quite a claim. Not a word of that on the media!

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Any HW can be beaten by another one. In no other division do you get the same amazing upsets. IT's because they all have enough power to ko a horse.
    Joshua was boxing pretty well but was off colour from the word go. He may have been complacent or unwell or injured. It seems clever and speedy to have him blame himself and yet everyone else around him are allowing the rumor mill to go crazy. Is this a smart way to show off a broken toe?
    People are talking about how different this was to Lewis vs Rachmann but I can see similarities. It wasn't one punch but one punch did the real harm. That first hook around the ear softened Joshua and the other one scrambled his brains. Then he took another heavy right hand to knock him down. Recovering from that was a tall order, especially on a night when he didn't look his best. He didn't seem that well warmed up, he had cuts very late in his camp, the ring walk was delayed, he may not have traveled well lots of things were stacked against him. It reminded me a little bit of Joe Louis vs Max Schmeling. An early hit did all the harm but it took another 8 rounds to ko him. There was nothing left in him. Joshua was the same.
    I think he will come back. He will box the face off Ruiz in the rematch and will jab, move and tie up. I think he will be more cautious and that could be his downfall for the future. Having the fight in Britain is pivotal. Calling him Bruno 2.0 is a bit premature.
    There is no evidence that Wilder would smash AJ yet, based on this anyway. It depends how he recovers, or doesn't. Talking about Wilder having infinite power is ridiculous as well. He's ko'ed some poor fighters and has a brilliant record but he's flesh and blood too and has plenty of vulnerabilities. I still think Joshua would beat him. I'd like to be wrong but it's my opinion.
    Whyte talking about Juice was quite a claim. Not a word of that on the media!

I agree with most you said but iv been saying on here for a long time AJ gets hit to easy, Saturday night was proof again ,

Someone brought up his sheer size and the way he cover ups using his arms means he never really learned how to defend himself properly which could be true,

His only hope against Wilder is to ko Wilder in the first or Hurt Wilder very early in the first, other wise he WILL be hit and he WILL be stopped ,

I think he has a way better chance of beating Fury ,

If it's true that Joshua was KO'd in sparring and suffered concussion close to the fight then his team are a disgrace for letting him fight. I read somewhere he has a team of like 30 people around him. Too many yes men trying to get their slice of the Joshua pie. Hopefully this fight will help him evaluate what he really needs around him and who has his best interests at heart. Probably after Miller pulling out Sky and DAZN didn't want anything else messing up the gravy train and pushed him to fight. Either way what an absolute disaster for him on his American debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

If it's true that Joshua was KO'd in sparring and suffered concussion close to the fight then his team are a disgrace for letting him fight.

Hold on a sec is there a reliable source on this? Where did you hear that? I'm genuinely interested.

Hold on a sec is there a reliable source on this? Where did you hear that? I'm genuinely interested.

Those are the rumours rumbling for a few days.
    Was his dad not recorded saying that there was something up, in the days before the fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Those are the rumours rumbling for a few days.
    Was his dad not recorded saying that there was something up, in the days before the fight?

All I've seen is some footage of AJ's father not looking too happy while talking to Hearn after the fight. That's all i'm aware of.

Dunno what to make of those KO allegations. At first they said it was Kabayel who was in Germany the whole time. Then they changed it to that Dawejko lad who just so happened to post a video of him in the gym for sparring....maybe just trying to save face on the article they posted. He was supposed to do a live Q&A last night but never did, and gave a stupid excuse that he's so busy with prepping for a fight. Whether he knows something or not Eddie probably told him to zip it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Id be amazed if the fight went ahead with AJ concussed. But he looked it. He looked like a bang average journeyman from the first bell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Could it not be possible that he was just outboxed by a better boxer? No KO's , no sickness ect? I don't see this as big an upset as is been made out. Ruiz is fast, technical, has as many KOs as Joshua. His one loss was a robbery.

The rematch will have identical outcome.

• Advertisement

Could it not be possible that he was just outboxed by a better boxer? No KO's , no sickness ect?

That is potentially the other side, camp trying to deflect by blaming "issues"

Advertisement