Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

How many other boxers that Joshua has fought stood there and chose to throw shots at the same time as him?

I think Ruiz saw a weakness and exploited it. He was always looking to land his own shots as AJ was throwing his.

It was no fluke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I agree with most you said but iv been saying on here for a long time AJ gets hit to easy, Saturday night was proof again ,

Someone brought up his sheer size and the way he cover ups using his arms means he never really learned how to defend himself properly which could be true,

His only hope against Wilder is to ko Wilder in the first or Hurt Wilder very early in the first, other wise he WILL be hit and he WILL be stopped ,

I think he has a way better chance of beating Fury ,

Well he had Ruiz down I'm sure that shot wasn't an easy one. Ruiz did brilliantly to recover so quickly and fire back in a controlled way. Joshua misunderstood things and got caught very badly with two punches he didn't see. He may not have been right for fighting. All of this doesn't mean that Wilder will beat him. He might.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Well he had Ruiz down I'm sure that shot wasn't an easy one. Ruiz did brilliantly to recover so quickly and fire back in a controlled way. Joshua misunderstood things and got caught very badly with two punches he didn't see. He may not have been right for fighting. All of this doesn't mean that Wilder will beat him. He might.

I just think he get hit to often to beat Wilder, but as we found out the weekend anything can happened in the heavy weight boxing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Does the rematch have to happen next or can they have tune up fights before the rematch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Does the rematch have to happen next or can they have tune up fights before the rematch?

Mandatory are enforced before rematch clauses.

• Advertisement

Mandatory are enforced before rematch clauses.

I think only Mandatory in between the time frame is the IBF and they mite be happy to just leave the two lads at it,

Pulev is there number 1 but currently in some legal trouble ,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

AJ hit him with a peach of a right hand in the 3rd I think and Ruiz barely flinched.

The Nal wrote: »
    AJ hit him with a peach of a right hand in the 3rd I think and Ruiz barely flinched.

He went down and was gazing up looking shocked. AJ came flying in and the world thought handy ko. Ruiz didn’t plan this. He was lucky and caught AJ but he did fight well throughout. The shot was aimed well but AJ should have known better than charging in like that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

squinn2912 wrote: »
    He went down and was gazing up looking shocked. AJ came flying in and the world thought handy ko. Ruiz didn’t plan this. He was lucky and caught AJ but he did fight well throughout. The shot was aimed well but AJ should have known better than charging in like that

Absolutely nothing lucky about numberous thundering hooks that nearly took AJs head off. AJ is too easy hit this has been said for years. Wilder Kos him, Fury picks him apart. Either way same result for AJ. Dillian whyte left him in trouble like granted quite some time ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Absolutely nothing lucky about numberous thundering hooks that nearly took AJs head off.

That's not what squinn meant. He clearly said Ruiz was lucky AJ came charging in looking for the quick KO.

This allowed Ruiz the opportunity to wing back those counter hooks in the 3rd which not only got him out of trouble they pretty much got him the win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Anyway, Hearn has confirmed the rematch for November/December

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Bizarre claims from Whyte on top of the conspiracy theories, it really has been a weird weekend for AJ.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

It really is all or nothing for AJ in the rematch. He'll be going into a fight no longer undefeated, having been knocked down 4 times in his last fight and the pressure of all or nothing hanging over him. It really will show if he has the strength of character of a champion or not. The hype bubble is well and truly burst its all just him for the next one. Who knows it might make him. But the realist in me thinks he won't handle that pressure. Its the end of AJ if he loses again.

Absolutely nothing lucky about numberous thundering hooks that nearly took AJs head off. AJ is too easy hit this has been said for years. Wilder Kos him, Fury picks him apart. Either way same result for AJ. Dillian whyte left him in trouble like granted quite some time ago

He fought well and aimed well, he also had a great game plan that Joshua fell for. But he was lucky that Joshua left himself so open to getting hit like that those two hooks changed the fight. I think Joshua is much better than what we saw on Saturday night and I don’t think Ruiz is as good. He did great of course but it was a perfect storm for him

That's not what squinn meant. He clearly said Ruiz was lucky AJ came charging in looking for the quick KO.

This allowed Ruiz the opportunity to wing back those counter hooks in the 3rd which not only got him out of trouble they pretty much got him the win.

Exactly. Check the thread I can’t stand aj but this is how I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Nonsense, if he loses there'll be a host of guys lining up to fight him. Even if he gets beaten more convincingly this time round he's still by far the #2 biggest draw in the sport. A Whyte rematch is booked straight away and winner fights Wilder if the Fury rematch isn't made by then. A Parker rematch would also be made in an instant. Although if Ruiz wins I think he fights Wilder right away as they're both Al Haymon fighters.

The rematch is huge for Joshua in terms of all time legacy and a convincing win will do him almost more than a win the other night would have. Everyone loves a champ who got back up and won it back off the other guy. Everyone loves someone who has shown vulnerability but fought back (I mean Tyson Fury went from enemy to hero in the eyes of the public). However another loss is not the end of the road at all.

Edit: Opening odds for the rematch: 1.29/3.5/26

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

I think the simple facts is he got caught with a counter hook in the third and never recovered. I do think he took Ruiz to lightly tough. All the talk in the build up was him saying things about Wilder. One thing we've learned over the years is that in boxing and mostly heavy weight anything can happen. I think he'll win the rematch if it happens. I do think he probably needs to go to a new trainer to work better on his defensive skills. Wladimir Klitschko got ko'd twice early in his career and went to Manny Stewart and changed his style. AJ needs to do this as his chin is defo suspect. He probably could do with coming in less ripped. More muscle means less stamina.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Wonder is it in the rematch clause the fight has to be in the uk. If not be suprised if Ruiz would agree to going to the uk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Ruiz will do whatever he's told once the money is there. This will set him up for life. He likely got life changing money on Saturday, the money he'll get in a rematch will set up his family for generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Wonder is it in the rematch clause the fight has to be in the uk. If not be suprised if Ruiz would agree to going to the uk.

Absolutely, Joshua is a different animal when he has home comforts and 80000 fans behind him. He's been lucky that he never had to leave the UK to achieve what he did.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Bad look heading to NY giving it the big one saying you're going to takeover, become a star etc, then lose all your belts and head straight back to the UK to win them back.

DAZN will want it in the US. Joshua will more than likely want it in the UK. Probably comes down to who Hearn deems more important to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

When Mayweather Jr was in London with AJ. Didn't he say to him 'we need to work on your defence.'

Morrison J wrote: »
    Bad look heading to NY giving it the big one saying you're going to takeover, become a star etc, then lose all your belts and head straight back to the UK to win them back.

DAZN will want it in the US. Joshua will more than likely want it in the UK. Probably comes down to who Hearn deems more important to him.

I agree, by having it back at home he or his team might as well come out and say we’re not as good in USA. One thing Fury showed some balls fighting in USA early.

On one hand I feel that this is becoming as sensationalised as Brexit but on the other it’s undeniable that there’s huge pressure on the rematch. If Joshua loses as badly then yes he will make fights but they will all come fully heartened and the fear factor gone. However I expect him to win the rematch convincingly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

AJ has always seemed to be susceptible to getting knocked down once he isn't able to blast his opponent out of it.

It was the same with Dillian Whyte years ago. Joshua could not knock him out and Whyte kept coming back and he had him shook. Whyte losst eventually as he kept getting pummeled.

I'm only a casual boxing fan but the heavyweights have really piqued my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Bizarre claims from Whyte on top of the conspiracy theories, it really has been a weird weekend for AJ.

But there's nothing new about Dillian saying that. He's been saying that AJ has been juicing and that he is fake for the last five years. He's always been a bit resentful that AJ has been carried along and pampered by Hearn/Sky the whole way through his career, while Whyte himself had to work his way up on his own, with the promoters working against him if anything.

I think AJ will take the fight in the US
    If he runs back to the UK the world wide media will slate him saying he couldn't make it outside the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Morrison J wrote: »

Good point. Hearn already said he wants it in the UK, but DAZN didnt offer a huge contract for AJ only to let him fight at 11pm GMT. Id expect it to be in Vegas or LA, prime Mexican audience. The Brits will watch and travel regardless.

Eddie has tied himself up in knots a little, between his two exclusive deals that are somewhat in conflict with each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Angliru wrote: »
    Ruiz will do whatever he's told once the money is there. This will set him up for life. He likely got life changing money on Saturday, the money he'll get in a rematch will set up his family for generations.

He'll get the same money he got Saturday night. Isn't that why Whyte turned it down ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

He'll get the same money he got Saturday night. Isn't that why Whyte turned it down ?

No he won’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

What an absolutely incredible night and now I regret not going! Would have been well worth the $240.

Firstly I watched none of it live as thought both were foregone conclusions and was socially engaged anyway! But out of curiosity I did watch the last 2 rounds of Katie's fight and thought she looked gassed but was delighted of course when she got the decision.

However after watching the full fight on Dailymotion back I gave Katie the first, the fourth, the fifth, the sixth, and the seventh. The latter two there Katie boxed cleverly and stayed away from the wildness of the onrushing Belgian. Crucially the ninth was Katie's.

The second and third arguably went to Persoon but were very tight. Round eight and ten I gave to Persoon as she gave everything as Katie naturally tired against an opponent who was never overawed.

In the fourth blood Katie got caught with what looked like a headbutt and in the fifth with blood pouring down her face she egged and waved on the Belgian so we knew that she wanted a war!

While Katie got dragged into a brawl which she says she likes Persoon's footwork and balance were woeful just charging forward swinging wildly. Katie is the better fighter, the technician, the all rounder but this was an excellent test of character for her.

Overall I feel it was the right decision. Andy Lee concurs too. But a very tight fight and one can feel sympathy for the awkward Belgian.

Thought Sergio Mora was excellent on commentary as was the referee. A rematch is a must IMO. No robbery or conspiracy. Persoon should have played the game after and stayed in the ring to be interviewed though.

Honestly still reeling from the result of the main event! Not since I watched Douglas beat Tyson live all those years ago has there been a shock of this magnitude. Absolutely no doubting the victor here.

Don't really understand the hatred towards Joshua while Wilder talks about murder in the ring. Here he looked all over the place and clean shots were finding their target. I think it could be a legitimate argument that he may have been concussed either coming into the fight or from an early blow to his "dome".

What really helped Ruiz was the fact that he was a very late replacement and had only five weeks notice. So no real pressure. Reminded me of Denmark getting in the door at the last minute for Euro 92 and winning it. As Malignaggi pointed out after he had won his last bout in April and then got word so basically kept going in camp. His shape, record and maybe his heritage all playing the part of being a "no-hoper".

For Joshua this is a devastating defeat but in a way could be a relief as he has been seen as the savior of this division and sport. Now Ruiz is the kingmaker and Joshua simply has to beat him in the rematch.

This is what sport is about. The complete unpredictability.

Advertisement