Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension question: Do Employer Contributions count to max AVC Tax relief?

• 23-07-2017 3:52pm

Hi,

Was hoping someone here could clarify something for me. I'm 27 years old and am paying into an employer pension scheme. I am currently contributing 5% of my gross salary. My employers match and double my contributions, so for every €1 I contribute my employer will contribute a further €2.
    My contributions are taxed at source by payroll.

I've been thinking about making AVC's into my pension, as 5% is the maximum that my company will match and double. According to the Citizens Information, the maximum I can contribute while still receiving tax relief based on my age is 15% of my gross salary.

My question is this: since I am contributing only 5% out of my own gross pay, can I still get tax relief on AVC's up to a further 10%? Or am I already considered to be contributing 15% of my salary (since my employer is putting in 10% extra on top of my 5%), and thus any AVC I contribute will not get any tax relief?

Hope the above makes sense, appreciate any response.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭wench

Is it an occupational pension or a prsa?

For an occ pension, only your contribution counts to the limits, so you can add another 10%.
    For a prsa, the employer's contributions count towards the total limit, so you'd already be maxed out.

Thanks for the reply, it's an occupation scheme, not a PRSA.
    So under current system I could contribute up to 10% more and still get tax relief then? Good to know. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Thanks for the reply, it's an occupation scheme, not a PRSA.
    So under current system I could contribute up to 10% more and still get tax relief then? Good to know. :)

you could possible make more than 10% - depends on what the definition of pensionable salary is for your basic 5%. AVC allow for all earnings not just Basic.

Advertisement