Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Computer that has a good chance of lasting 4 or 5 years?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

StevenE wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, PCs are good, and sometimes they offer free updates to Windows, like the limited offer to update to Windows 10, but that was largely due to the rubbish that most will acknowledge was Windows 8.

I actually prefer Windows 8.1 to 10. But you can run Windows 10 for free it just turns off features. Anyway the OP has a new machine. It was Windows 10 the upgrade model has now changed.
    What I was trying to say was that since I paid for my MacBook in 2009, I've not spent an additional cent on it, yet it still performs as well as it did when it was brand new,...

Well of course it does it the same hardware. But we are doing more with hardware now than in 2009. Web pages are more demanding, video codecs need more CPU power etc.

My Dell Inspirion has been upgraded, more RAM, AC Wifi Card, and a SSD. The XPS was upgraded with a 50% faster CPU and Faster WiFi card.

That said my netbook can play 1080p video and decode modern codecs while being feather light and a 10hr battery life.

A Macbook is great machine. But it needs to be compared to a Windows Laptop at the same price point €1300~2000, which is a Dell XPS 13/15 or similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

The SED card will not store the Operating system, and that's what's taking up most of the memory, that and it's updates..... I think it's an SED card I got anyway, Toshiba 16GB.. can't store updates on it... Have only used Netflix,Yotube, 3 Player, Google Documents etc, not a lot...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe I am reading it wrong but it appears you just have trouble with the 32GB not being enough?
    Are you storing pictures and music on the laptop?
    How about getting a external memory to offload the laptop? 1TB can cost around 50/60 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

biko wrote: »
    Maybe I am reading it wrong but it appears you just have trouble with the 32GB not being enough?
    Are you storing pictures and music on the laptop?
    How about getting a external memory to offload the laptop? 1TB can cost around 50/60 euro.

Windows is about 26GB installed now. A 32GB NAND will be about 29GB formatted...

• Advertisement

On my netbook is a 32GB disk I have about 12.7 GB free after 12 months of use. I don't store anything on it it though. I use USB stick for data. I think my Windows folder is about 17GB. About 1GB of Apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Desktops generally speaking last longer than laptop and also are far easier to repair and upgrade.

laptops get bumped, dropped, shaken, vibrated. The mechanical parts like hinges, screens, buttons, power connector, and cable are vulnerable to damage wear and tear.

They also run a lot hotter and thermal damage is big killer of electronics. Especially if misplaced on a pillows blankets coaches where fans and heat vents get blocked.
    If i am just doing basic office work my Desktop runs at 30 C my laptop runs at 60 C

Have used 'Disk Clean Up' a few times and there still doesn't appear to be space for 'updates'. The machine is functioning a bit 'better though', so thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Don't get me wrong, PCs are good, and sometimes they offer free updates to Windows, like the limited offer to update to Windows 10, but that was largely due to the rubbish that most will acknowledge was Windows 8.
    What I was trying to say was that since I paid for my MacBook in 2009, I've not spent an additional cent on it, yet it still performs as well as it did when it was brand new, with no intentions of replacing it for another fair few years.
    The brand is genuinely acknowledged as lasting longer than average, linking that with the zero upkeep, many people are upgrading to Macs.
    Additionally, if you need Windows, Macs can run it, but to be honest, I wouldn't let Windows anywhere near my Mac, it would ruin it!
    MacOS is simple, easy to use, has no issues with hard drive fragmentation, doesn't begin to run slow if its been on or just put to sleep rather than being shut down regularly, doesn't get hot, doesn't need wiping and reinstalling every other year like some Windows machines do......I could go on, but it would get boring.
    My Mac is as it was out of the factory, except for the free OS upgrades, its really hard to fault it and I'm so happy I've stopped throwing money away on placcy boxes of chips that are out of date in two years.

But that's just my opinion.

you can't compare a €1000+ machine with a €150 machine

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No security needed with a Mac. Or at the very most BitDefender free off the AppStore.
    Also, Mac OS updates and new releases are free, as is their office suite which is MS compatible.

Unlike PCs, Macs are generally a one-time purchase, you don't pay for it time and time again with upgrades to AV and OS etc.

You should stick to an abacus if you think that's the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 nathanq

I have this laptop 5 years it is great it is a HP Elitebook 8440p at the time it cost me E1300 Now you can find them on adverts for around E350 Recomended once you get a bigger hardrive and Upgrade the ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

nathanq wrote:
    I have this laptop 5 years it is great it is a HP Elitebook 8440p at the time it cost me E1300 Now you can find them on adverts for around E350 Recomended once you get a bigger hardrive and Upgrade the ram.

They are a good laptop, but kind of dated now. 350eur?? They are currently sold on eBay for 100GBP. Definitely not worth anything over 200eur for one in good condition.

tedpan wrote: »
    They are a good laptop, but kind of dated now. 350eur?? They are currently sold on eBay for 100GBP. Definitely not worth anything over 200eur for one in good condition.

It dosent matter if the laptop is 10 years old the laptop can be Greatly upgraded to see its full potiental.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

nathanq wrote:
    It dosent matter if the laptop is 10 years old the laptop can be Greatly upgraded to see its full potiental.

Unfortunately not true. As a laptop gets used more and more things start to fail. The battery is around 3 years, then you have disk failures, graphics card and motherboard issues. That laptop will not last 10 years without some significant part replacements which would be more costly than replacing.

There's an 8440p on adverts with 8GB of ram and a 256GB SSD for 200eur. That's realistic as it could fail within a year because of its age, it may last slightly longer. You could reuse the ram and SSD when it does.

The OP is looking for a future proofed laptop, which this is not

Hi still haven't purchased but kinda urgently now need something with a functioning 'Office' Programme. Think I do need 8GB and 128 at least 'in the other'. Don't want to go budget and need another in a year. Any bargains floating out there now ?ideally that could be delivered ? Thanks, S

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Hi still haven't purchased but kinda urgently now need something with a functioning 'Office' Programme. Think I do need 8GB and 128 at least 'in the other'. Don't want to go budget and need another in a year. Any bargains floating out there now ?ideally that could be delivered ? Thanks, S

Hello,
    Try this https://www.libreoffice.org/
    i used it when my school didnt make us purchase office 365.

Advertisement