Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal Way - starting point & tips

Options
  • 23-07-2017 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Looking for tips on where I can start the Royal Canal Way. I'm bringing my daughter who has a 24" 6-speed bike. I'll be driving there so parking essential.

Goal is to cycle around 20-30k in total, and bonus poiints for a nice place to stop for food/drink/picnic.

I'm coming up via the N11/M50, so looking to start around the Dublin end. Can either cycle out & back, or if it works to cycle longer & get the train back, that could work.

I'm not sure of any other greenways close to Dublin/Wicklow so alternatives to the RCW gladly received!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

Few other threads on this already e.g.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057747877

Phibsboro to Castleknock is a tarmac path. Mostly built-up along either side and nothing particularly memorable. Lunch at the 12th lock pub is fine. Relatively short ~ 8 km one way.

From Castleknock to Clonsilla there is a pretty dicey part called 'deep sinking' - best to be avoider to be honest.

If you want quiet countryside I'd start at Clonsilla Train Station (M50 Blanch exit & free parking weekends) and go to Maynooth - grass path through rural country side. About 12 km one way.

Maynooth probably has plenty od food options.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

With a younger member of the family, Grand canal is worth a punt too. Conditions vary a fair bit based on recent weather, but starting at Hazelhatch here you'll get a pleasant 10k run on crushed gravel for a ~20k round trip with possibility of pub grub at the start/finish. If it has been dry, starting further back here extends it with a lovely unpaved grassy / single track section, but it gets muddy if its been raining. Still good fun if you don't mind a bit of mud, but knobbly tyres recommended in that case.

Advertisement