Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

27" iMac 2011 Boot White Screen

Options
  • 23-07-2017 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

about a week ago my misses went to open iTunes but it couldnt be opened because it was being updated at the time.
    She was on the internet waiting for the update to finish but the iMac suddenly went to the Apple logo boot screen where it continued to go to grey screen and restart several times until we shut it off manually.

We have tried all the keyboard options to boot in safemode, reset of RAM, reset of SMC, recovery through internet, reinstall of mac os from a USB stick, but each time it ends back at the apple logo when it (sometimes) gets about 70% of the way and then the screen goes dull to a grey colour where it stays until we hold down the power button.

Is there some way of running a diagnostic tool to see where the issue might be? As I am guessing now it is certainly a hardware issue.

Edit: We have just also run a hardware test which returned no issues, we are now running an extended hardware test.

Many thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Faulty Hard Disk ? Have you got an external drive that you can clear ? Install OSX to this and boot from it, you may be able to access the old drive to get your files off.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

ZENER wrote: »
    Faulty Hard Disk ? Have you got an external drive that you can clear ? Install OSX to this and boot from it, you may be able to access the old drive to get your files off.

Ken

I made an installer on a 16GB USB like the many guides online. It identifed the USB stick on startup, i selected it, it went to the apple logo and loading bar, which got about 70% again and then crapped out.

We ran an extended test last night and it came up with this error:
    4MOT/4/40000003 : HDD - 1223
    This is apparently the fan or the HDD itself. The iMac never started getting warm until this whole debacle happened though

Advertisement