Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job seekers benefit and air b n b

Options
  • 23-07-2017 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

I bought a house with my partner in May (yay!). All great, had so many plans for it (doing up rooms etc) until I lost my job mid June. I am on JSB and not having much luck getting a full time or even part time job. We have two spare rooms and are in a great location which has lots of tourists so everyone keeps telling me to 'air b n b' it.
    I've looked online and at previous boards posts but can't see anything about being on job seekers benefit and taxation etc regarding Air b n b. If anyone knows or has advice or even better, has been in my situation. I'd love to hear from them. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,649 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Jobseeker's Benefit is not means tested, you could have 1.65 million in the bank and you would still get it, you just pay taxation the normal way as if you were employed. If you were on Jobseekers Allowance it's means tested and such income could go against your payment.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If you are living in the house look up the rent a room scheme where you can rent a room and earn up to I think it is 15k PA and the icome is tax exempt.
    A quick Google should bring up the info for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Moonbeam wrote: »
    If you are living in the house look up the rent a room scheme where you can rent a room and earn up to I think it is 15k PA and the icome is tax exempt.
    A quick Google should bring up the info for you.

Not on airbnb income

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭VonBeanie

rustyzip wrote: »
    I bought a house with my partner in May (yay!). All great, had so many plans for it (doing up rooms etc) until I lost my job mid June. I am on JSB and not having much luck getting a full time or even part time job. We have two spare rooms and are in a great location which has lots of tourists so everyone keeps telling me to 'air b n b' it.
    I've looked online and at previous boards posts but can't see anything about being on job seekers benefit and taxation etc regarding Air b n b. If anyone knows or has advice or even better, has been in my situation. I'd love to hear from them. Thanks!

JSB is not means tested but only lasts 6 months. After that, you have to go onto Job Seekers Allowance, and that is means tested. Just look up "Means Test" on citizensinformation.ie for the details on how much AirBnB income will impact your social welfare payments after you move from JCB to JCA.

All AirBnB income is fully taxable, whether you are working or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Get a regular housemate and you can take up to 14K tax free. It needs to be declared though both on your tax return and to the social. I make no comment on suspected % of people that do though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement