Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

could cutting roots of english ivy kill the tree

Options
  • 23-07-2017 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

hi all,

I have a couple of Lelandii trees at the bottom of the garden that are almost completely engulfed in English IVY

I've gone and cut the biggest roots in the hope that the rest of the Ivy in the tree will die.

But I've noticed some of the Lelandii leaves going yellow and I hope me cutting the ivy isn't going to cause the trees an issue, is it ?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

... or possibly Irish ivy.

http://www.walterreeves.com/gardening-q-and-a/english-ivy-vs-irish-ivy-identification/

Anyway, you only have to cut the ivy stems at the base, not the roots.
    The ivy up on the tree won't appear to die for quite a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Depends how you cut the ivy stems. I've seen a neighbors trees killed because they got a relative to kill the ivy and they cut through both the ivy stems and much of the tree bark with a chainsaw :rolleyes:

For anyone else cutting ivy stems you need to make a gap between the sections you cut otherwise the ivy can heal the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

thanks folks,

Yes, I made sure to take out a large section of the stems so as to give the Ivy no chance to heal itself.
    I was very careful not to damage the bark of the tress themselves.

However, for the first time ever I am seeing the leaves of the Lelandii going yellow and looking like they are dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

my3cents wrote: »
    For anyone else cutting ivy stems you need to make a gap between the sections you cut otherwise the ivy can heal the damage.
    I did this on mine, several feet of gap just to be sure. The Lleylandii are just as crappy as before, but now encased in dead ivy. And no yellowing of leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

might be a stupid question but why would cutting the roots kills the tree? Only asking as i've been meaning to do the same to some apple trees in my mothers garden when i get time but i wouldn't like to damage the tress. They were taken from shoots/cuttings going back a few generations in my family, each new generation planting a shoot from the tree belonging to the previous generation. Not great tasting apples but it's become a tradition non the less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

pawrick wrote: »
    might be a stupid question but why would cutting the roots kills the tree?
    Only that somebody trying to cut down into the ivy roots would more than likely cut some of the tree's roots while they were at it. Hence some yellowing of the tree could occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

thanks, hadn't even considered someone meant actually digging at the underground roots, assumed they meant as close to the base of the tree as possible when cutting.

Advertisement