Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo Gay Pride

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That version of pluralism where nobody gets a parade sounds like the complete opposite of pluralism to me. And very boring. Who would want to live in a society that bans parades in case left handed or english people have one.

I think your version of pluralism with parades, celebrations, fun, diversity celebrated and cultures respected and honoured openly is a lot more fun than 6541's version of pluralism.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Great to see loads of people having fun and a bit of crack. Makes me feel joyous too, kinda like the local St Patrick parade that the kids love and I love a bit if flag waving myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Oldtree wrote: »
    Great to see loads of people having fun and a bit of crack. Makes me feel joyous too, kinda like the local St Patrick parade that the kids love and I love a bit if flag waving myself :)

No its not like a St Patrick's day parade, St Patrick is the patron saint of all Irish, Gay Irish, Left Handed Irish, Muslim Irish, Black Irish etc, this was a parade for a section of Irish people. By this parade celebrating Gay, Lesbian it is exclusive not inclusive. Far from St Patrick's day parade which is inclusive.

Did you participate in the Paddy's day parade?

Did you want to participate in the Pride parade?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

6541 wrote: »
    No its not like a St Patrick's day parade, St Patrick is the patron saint of all Irish, Gay Irish, Left Handed Irish, Muslim Irish, Black Irish etc, this was a parade for a section of Irish people. By this parade celebrating Gay, Lesbian it is exclusive not inclusive. Far from St Patrick's day parade which is inclusive.

I'm not gay and I felt pretty included in the celebrations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »

Thanks for the explanation, but my point stands, in law it is illegal to discriminate against anyone based on grounds of race, religion gender etc. So what is the point of the parade, Your rights are already enshrined in law. So the parade is pointless.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks for the explanation, but my point stands, in law it is illegal to discriminate against anyone based on grounds of race, religion gender etc. So what is the point of the parade, Your rights are already enshrined in law. So the parade is pointless.

Mod Note Fair enough, you've made your point, let the posters who want to talk about the actual parade talk about the parade.

yop wrote: »
    Mod Note Fair enough, you've made your point, let the posters who want to talk about the actual parade talk about the parade.

i was a wondering when this would happen lol !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

i was a wondering when this would happen lol !

No need to wonder anymore :) Dont continue it thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Just going back for one point,
    I agree with 6541 to a certain degree, I seen they had a march through town, now as enjoyable as this is for the people who attended, Theres people who have work to go to, banks to get to, post offices to be at before they close, kids to pick up, rush back from lunch, these marches really slow things down to a halt, I'm not sure what time it was at but theres no good time to close main street of a town, that to me a a bit self centered, If your on the mall or on market square traveling between using footpaths, I think its great, fill the town with your flags, music and pride, but you dont have to halt people who have their every day work to do.

That is what will turn people against you.

Not going to go into a tit for tat argument, But Ulster Bank opens on Saturdays in Castlebar (Many people need to travel from different towns to get there on a Saturday because they cant get to their own during weekdays), many retail shops are open, post office is open, Credit Union is open, tesco, dunnes, aldi, pennies, the list goes on and on. I dont know whats closed really. Fair enough I wont get into a lawyer or a civil servant on Saturday, but for the most, its business as usual on Saturdays.
    As said I'm not going to continue in a dismissive argument so wont be commenting further on that. I think its great there is a day to celebrate the pride, I just don't see the need to block off a street.

As said I could argue against you but i shall rest my point at where I did.
    I'm truthfully happy that it was an enjoyable day for all, and it is nice to see everybody wearing smiles and vibrant colors.

Just a suggestion, maybe take it indoors next year.

I’m waiting for someone to log on complaining about not being able to access a manhole to wash their elbows in.

But then say how wonderful it was.

And then suggest to keep it indoors.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I’m waiting for someone to log on complaining about not being able to access a manhole to wash their elbows in.

But then say how wonderful it was.

And then suggest to keep it indoors.

Your getting confused there between people! But yes, not being able to use main street vs "not being able to access a manhole to wash their elbows in" is the same!

*Mod Note: Okay I've asked for this to stop but its been ignored, one last time, discuss the parade please *

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Parades are fun

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Not going to go into a tit for tat argument, But Ulster Bank opens on Saturdays in Castlebar (Many people need to travel from different towns to get there on a Saturday because they cant get to their own during weekdays), many retail shops are open, post office is open, Credit Union is open, tesco, dunnes, aldi, pennies, the list goes on and on. I dont know whats closed really. Fair enough I wont get into a lawyer or a civil servant on Saturday, but for the most, its business as usual on Saturdays.
    As said I'm not going to continue in a dismissive argument so wont be commenting further on that. I think its great there is a day to celebrate the pride, I just don't see the need to block off a street.

Did the parade stop the banks opening?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Mod Note *** 6541 banned for breaching a number of items. Anyone else want to follow work away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭sierra117x

Seems like the kinda thing the missus would be interested in. The one in Dublin is a bit too big for our taste. Same with paddies day and the likes.

Looks like good craic was had. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I myself wonder why do we need a pride parade in Castlebar, Gay people can marry now so what is the point of this march ? Will I as a heterosexual have a march around the town next Saturday ?

You're hardly serious?

sierra117x wrote: »
    Seems like the kinda thing the missus would be interested in. The one in Dublin is a bit too big for our taste. Same with paddies day and the likes.

Looks like good craic was had. Fair play to them.

Yep hats off to them. You’d be surprised. Try going to either one before proclaiming which one is better.

Certainly, the parade looked amazing against the Mayo background, a very unique look to a pride parade. The Dublin pride is absolutely amazing. Cracking atmosphere. NOTHING like the Paddy’s day parade.

I take your points but I really don't think that there is any shame, social stigma, isolation, invisibility, a need to hide themselves by the LGBT community any more.

Without being gay yourself, how would you come to that conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

cgcsb wrote: »
    You're hardly serious?
    cgcsb wrote: »
    Without being gay yourself, how would you come to that conclusion?
    6541 was banned by yop so cannot respond to your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

Got nothing against gay people as I see who you have sex with or a relationship with none of anybody else's business.

But why do you have to have a 'parade'. I mean do straight people need to have a parade or swingers or doggers or transexuals or non sexuals need to have a parade? Why not just get p*ssed and get on with it instead of making something a big issue which it isnt except to a few fanatics or wierdo's (anti's) who want to impose their morals on others.

• Advertisement

St Patricks day celebrates the introduction of christianity to Ireland, that's hardly inclusive for atheists is it?

Advertisement