Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo Gay Pride

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I responded to 6541 before reading the posts where he was banned. Bizzare in this day and age someone saying 'fair play' to the Burke family and in the next breath saying 'why do you need a parade?' And telling them to 'take it indpors'. Goes to show there remains a lot of angry people who don't know what they are against exactly but are just against the gays at every turn.

If anyone remains in any doubt I'll refer to previous posts explaining why gay pride exists and I'd add
    It commemorates an event
    It is an outward expression of gay culture and most importantly it a fun day out for all.

I'm delighted this happened in Mayo. There have been such events in Sligo and Dundalk before but I'd say Castlebar is the smallest town to have one. Hopefully it provides people who feel isolated a bit of respite.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

cgcsb wrote: »
    It is an outward expression of gay culture and most importantly it a fun day out for all.

Gay culture :D:D That's a new one.

I am sitting down so please explain what is 'gay culture'?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

123shooter wrote: »

Culture
    ˈkʌltʃə/Submit
    noun
    the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively.
    "20th century popular culture"
    synonyms: the arts, the humanities; More
    the ideas, customs, and social behaviour of a particular people or society.
    "Afro-Caribbean culture"
    synonyms: civilization, society, way of life, lifestyle; More

During the mid 20th century the western world went through a period of increased urbanisation of the population of western societies and a dramatic advancement in telecommunication. This allowed gay communities to form out of people who otherwise would have no genetic or geographic relationship to each other. These communities were mostly shrouded in secrecy and were insular, somewhat separated socially from the rest of the world. Within these communities social norms developed, gay venues were created, entertainment forms, and even a sort of language which allowed members to communicate with each other in secrecy.

Some parts of the world were hotspots of this culture
    E.g. Torremelinos where General Franco allowed anti gay laws to be relaxed. Attracting gay men from all over Europe. And San Francisco owing its gay heritage to the US navy's anti gay policies and subsequent discharges

I understand how different races, countries and even religions which seperate themselves from others have their own unique culture............but people who were labelled gay are the same as any other living in same country so you have no culture except the same as your fellow countrymen.

Admittedly there are some gay men who think to be gay is to act out like Jullian Clarey or John Inman in thir television roles of playing a camp gay man but that is acting and unfortunatley some think ..........they have to behave like that if they are gay:rolleyes:

If you are gay you are no different than the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

I understand how different races, countries and even religions which seperate themselves from others have their own unique culture............but people who were labelled gay are the same as any other living in same country so you have no culture except the same as your fellow countrymen.

Admittedly there are some gay men who think to be gay is to act out like Jullian Clarey or John Inman in thir television roles of playing a camp gay man but that is acting and unfortunatley some think ..........they have to behave like that if they are gay:rolleyes:

If you are gay you are no different than the rest of us.

See my post above for how this particular subculture came to be

See my post above for how this particular subculture came to be

It's in your own head and nowhere else.

It's in your own head and nowhere else.

The gay community and its culture is in my head?

....... wrote: »

I see your point but you will never get all people to agree on all points all of the time..........that I am afraid is life.

It's legal and no one against has a leg to stand on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

**Mod Note: We asked, it was ignored. ** It will be bans next.

The gay community and its culture is in my head?

No there being a 'gay culture'.

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Culture
    ˈkʌltʃə/Submit
    noun
    the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively.
    "20th century popular culture"
    synonyms: the arts, the humanities; More
    the ideas, customs, and social behaviour of a particular people or society.
    "Afro-Caribbean culture"
    synonyms: civilization, society, way of life, lifestyle; More

In other words these are people in your example who are set aside from others so they have their own culture.

Gay people are no different than anybody else and just as equal. But suddenly out of the blue claiming that that gay people have their own culture you are setting a division and seperating them from others to fit in with your example.

It really is manufactured.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

In other words these are people in your example who are set aside from others so they have their own culture.

Gay people are no different than anybody else and just as equal. By suddenly out of the blue claiming that that gay people have their own culture you are setting a division and seperating them from others.

It really is manufactured.

Gay Culture has been an area of research for decades.

Try a library, I suggest, Halperin, Butler, etc . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

It's a pity I don't know it was on. Would have went down with the family to show my support and enjoy what looked like good fun. Fair play to the organisers and all who took part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It is an actual thing and does exist. The flag and pride parades for example would be part of lgbt culture. The language used around the types of people that lgbt people are e.g. bears, otters, twinks. Drag queens and Drag kings are part of lgbt culture. Different music genres are very linked and associated with lgbt culture too.

There is extensive material on this on the internet.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It is an actual thing and does exist. The flag and pride parades for example would be part of lgbt culture. The language used around the types of people that lgbt people are e.g. bears, otters, twinks. Drag queens and Drag kings are part of lgbt culture. Different music genres are very linked and associated with lgbt culture too.

There is extensive material on this on the internet.

I think you will find that most of that stuff comes from pagan times but being as you bring it up.........At this festival/march how many of you were playing the music and dressed as a bear or otter and can you show the pics here of you doing so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Is this actually a joke? Shooter are you seriously saying there's no gay culture? Ask one of your gay friends about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I think you will find that most of that stuff comes from pagan times but being as you bring it up.........At this festival/march how many of you were playing the music and dressed as a bear or otter and can you show the pics here of you doing so?

Nobody was dressed as a bear or an otter, they are just terms used within the LGBT community to describe others with varying traits.

• Advertisement

You don't 'dress up as a bear' Honestly read a book. Refer to my previous post regarding the origins of gay culture. You don't like gay culture maybe or you are ignorant of it but it most certainly exists. The posters here aren't lying to you and it's not in our heads as you suggest. Google it, the near sum of human knowledge is available for free.

Xenji wrote: »
    Nobody was dressed as a bear or an otter, they are just terms used within the LGBT community to describe others with varying traits.

Hey I never bought up this, please refer to the correct person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Please stop gaysplaining... There's no need

Even the otters and bears are facepalming that one.
    facepalmbear-5804f2af3df78cbc28913ff7.PNG

BtwLe6qCEAAh8Yq.jpg

Jayop wrote: »
    Even the otters and bears are facepalming that one.
    facepalmbear-5804f2af3df78cbc28913ff7.PNG

BtwLe6qCEAAh8Yq.jpg

Like I said I never bought this up, refer to correct poster.

Not at all but in the terms of how it was discribed regards why there has to be a gay pride event yes.

The reason there was/is a gay pride event is to show others about the culture then surely everybody would have been dressed as a bear or otter or other with the music associated with it (as described) blaring out and even other such litriture associated with it freely available.

But it seemed to materalise in this form a few posts back i think.

What? You're not making any sense at all. LGBT culture exists. That is a fact. I have given you some examples; music, language, flags, parades. You are welcome to an opinion that it doesn't but the fact and reality is it does.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Like I said I never bought this up, refer to correct poster.

The poster told you there was a gay culture and gave you a few examples after you stated that there wasn't. When you don't know what common terms, especially bear refer to then you clearly have no clue about gay culture and therefore probably shouldn't be commenting on the existence or lack there of.

I think you probably know this though because no-one could be that ignorant and you're just a hilarious guy taking the piss.

What? You're not making any sense at all. LGBT culture exists. That is a fact. I have given you some examples; music, language, flags, parades.

Look I said why do you have to have a gay pride march when you are the same as everybody else.

The replies were from others saying its about gay culture which can include dressing up as bears and otters and certain music associated with it.

See those people do not blame me.

Please stop gaysplaining...

You mean educating ignorance?

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

You mean educating ignorance?

Can a straight person gaysplain something?

Advertisement