Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo Gay Pride

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

123shooter wrote: »
    Look I said why do you have to have a gay pride march when you are the same as everybody else.

The replies were from others saying its about gay culture which can include dressing up as bears and otters and certain music associated with it.

See those people do not blame me.

You are just spewing out absolute nonsense now. A form of written diarrhoea.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

I think you will find that most of that stuff comes from pagan times but being as you bring it up.........At this festival/march how many of you were playing the music and dressed as a bear or otter and can you show the pics here of you doing so?

You don't dress as a bear or otter, they are identities, sub-culture communities within the LGBTQ+ Community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'm just in a hissy fit because my bear and otter only got one fecking like.

Mayo people aren't as nice as you all like to think you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

I prefer the old stuff from the 80's to bears and otters anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X_YHg-ZEmo

Old Divine could certainly shake his stuff........keeping it still was a problem though.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Someone mentioned bears and otters and you thought he said people dressed up as bears and otters! :D Then claimed that part of gay culture (dressing up as bears and otters!!!HAAHA) comes from pagan times! :pac::pac:

This is hilarious!! You can't be that thick! You have to be trolling!

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Someone mentioned bears and otters and you thought he said people dressed up as bears and otters! :D Then claimed that part of gay culture (dressing up as bears and otters!!!HAAHA) comes from pagan times! :pac::pac:

Hey have you never seen the Wickerman 1973 Christopher Lee looked good in that wig.

It is an actual thing and does exist. The flag and pride parades for example would be part of lgbt culture. The language used around the types of people that lgbt people are e.g. bears, otters, twinks. Drag queens and Drag kings are part of lgbt culture. Different music genres are very linked and associated with lgbt culture too.

There is extensive material on this on the internet.

Hey Joey besides the bears and otters can you give us an example of the music genres?:)

Hey Joey besides the bears and otters can you give us an example of the music genres?:)

Your just trolling now. You've no interest in talking about the parade in Mayo unless you're bitching or sneering about gay people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Xenji wrote: »
    Nobody was dressed as a bear or an otter, they are just terms used within the LGBT community to describe others with varying traits.

I'm not going to lie, a part of me is a tad disappointed...
    I thought I'd stumbled upon the best kept secret, ever. Dressing up as otters?! Facccckin yeahhhhhhh boiiii!

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Your just trolling now. You've no interest in talking about the parade in Mayo unless you're bitching or sneering about gay people.

That is actually the last thing i would do.

And my interest was my original question as to why there meeds to be a gay pride parade.........post 60..........which nobody answered but just went on about their stuff.

• Advertisement

And my interest was my original question as to why there meeds to be a gay pride parade.........post 60..........which nobody answered but just went on about their stuff.

Your question was answered in full, by many. You refused to accept the facts. Your problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Read post #23

You're welcome.

Goodnight and thank you.

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Read post #23

Goodnight and thank you.

That gizmo is something I can fully understand and a good answer but the other stuff is ..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Maybe one of the reasons is to show their culture to people that have no clue about it and to make their culture more open to people who think being a bear means dressing up as a literal bear.

Here's some other reasons for you.

1) To celebrate their history. To remember and celebrate the people who have suffered incredibly because of their sexuality, including being killed, being locked up, being castrated, being beaten up, losing their jobs, being refused accomodation etc.

2) To acknowledge that a lot of those things still happen in the world today in 2017 and to make a statement that those who attend the pride events, gay and straight do not tolerate those things happening to their fellow people.

3) As referenced in the post above you have gay and straight people in attendance and organising these events. They are a great show of unity to anyone that would like to create a divide.

4) To celebrate the wonderful achievements in Ireland and other places where the people young and old have stood up and said they do not accept discrimination in things like marriage.

5) To have a big party.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I've lived all over the world in my time and seen many aspects of the countries I've been in.

There is no them and us in any sphere. Just us.

I loved the photo the op posted, the joy captured in the face was aparrent. Why on earth someone would want to tear down that joy is way beyond me at this stage of my life.

I didn't know that the parade was on but I'm going to the next one to share in that expression of the joy of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

If left handed people want a parade whats the big deal. I don't see a problem. So what if multiple groups want parades to celebrate their culture and identity.

Presumably this would include too the Orange Order's wish to parade through cities and towns in throughout this jurisdiction to celebrate their culture and identity also?

You support the right of peaceful public protest, given your espousal of "diversity"?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

hinault wrote: »
    Presumably this would include too the Orange Order's wish to parade through cities and towns in throughout this jurisdiction to celebrate their culture and identity also?

You support the right of peaceful public protest, given your espousal of "diversity"?

I don't have a problem at all with with orange order parades once they dont cross into hateful sectarianism.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

hinault banned from thread.
    Henceforth, only posts that discuss the gay pride itself in a civil manner. I am not interested in whataboutary, you can use other threads or forums on boards for that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod Note: Really not listening folks, more bans and infractions handed out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod Note: After reviewing some of the posts and reported posts 123Shooter banned for trolling and ignoring mod instruction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

You mean educating ignorance?

Exactly what I meant :).... The ignorance seemed a little to much to educate

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Does anyone have any snaps from the parade itself?

Not general ones! Just family and friend shots I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

biko wrote: »
    Does anyone have any snaps from the parade itself?

The Mayo Pride page on Facebook has a good few photos and some videos of it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Jayop wrote: »
    Maybe one of the reasons is to show their culture to people that have no clue about it and to make their culture more open to people who think being a bear means dressing up as a literal bear.

Here's some other reasons for you.

1) To celebrate their history. To remember and celebrate the people who have suffered incredibly because of their sexuality, including being killed, being locked up, being castrated, being beaten up, losing their jobs, being refused accomodation etc.

2) To acknowledge that a lot of those things still happen in the world today in 2017 and to make a statement that those who attend the pride events, gay and straight do not tolerate those things happening to their fellow people.

3) As referenced in the post above you have gay and straight people in attendance and organising these events. They are a great show of unity to anyone that would like to create a divide.

4) To celebrate the wonderful achievements in Ireland and other places where the people young and old have stood up and said they do not accept discrimination in things like marriage.

5) To have a big party.
    +1

Advertisement