Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wix mobile speed test?

• 23-07-2017 10:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭

Have a DIY ( paid) website from wix, its nothing complicated at all. We;ve been looking at the speed test results on google mobile test & webpagetest.org and am consistently getting 9-13 seconds. Have used what I thought was a simple wix template / theme

I have hidden a number of the pages, stripped out content & still cant make it any faster. Any suggestions on what to do or is Wix just too good to be true?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

webpagetest should show you which parts of the page are slowing it down. dns, js, images etc.
    Isolate the problem area first, you might have a 2Mb header image.

In general the more options a platform offers the bigger the overhead and bloat. So even if you do not use the options they are often still there so the speed will never be fantastic.
    I am not a fan of Wix but a page should still load quicker than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

yes - have been tinkering with it, it call up huge number of files ( more than 200) which I can't see a purpose for & tries to start a chat function ( which doesn't run)

is there any way of simplifying or am I best to move to WP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

For more control on the code that your site outputs you'd be better off moving away from Wix.

I would even suggest giving WP the swerve and looking at something much leaner like Grav.

https://getgrav.org/

These flatfile no db type systems are becoming very popular as there is no overhead associated with db connections so sites can be very fast. This type of solution will be suited to simpler sites.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

Thanks for that, looks like grav would be the job.

How difficult is the programming bit ( been 20 since I did any such thing) and does it adapt easily to mobile or is it like building a new site ( half my traffic is mobile these days)

Advice on where to get started appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

BigGeorge wrote: »
    Thanks for that, looks like grav would be the job.

How difficult is the programming bit ( been 20 since I did any such thing) and does it adapt easily to mobile or is it like building a new site ( half my traffic is mobile these days)

Advice on where to get started appreciated

One of the great things about Grav is that's it's very well documented.

https://learn.getgrav.org/

It's also got a lot of free themes available to start out that will take care of your responsive / mobile issues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement