Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

After Hours 1992

• 24-07-2017 1:31am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So imagine being in a time warp back 25 years (is it really that long??!!) to 1992. What would have been the threads on AH if Boards had been around back then?

Here's a few that I think might have been around...

Will there ever be peace up North?

Italia '90 - A one-off or have we joined the big lads?

Should gay sex be legal?

Bishop Eamonn Casey - The Biggest scandal to hit the church?

What type of home computer do you have?

Will Ireland ever be a rich country?

Why are our major roads so crap?

Are you thinking of emigrating?

Is Bono the greatest Irish rock star ever? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Oasis or Blur?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I can't believe I can make new friends through a computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Denmark will win the euros, call me crazy but I'll be right

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Noveight wrote: »
    Oasis or Blur?

Bit early for that, no? Oasis only brought out their debut album in 1994!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭vegetables

phone book late.

telecom eireannn want to charge 2 pound for a listing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

What do you reckon the Sinn Fein voice actors look like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Bit early for that, no? Oasis only brought out their debut album in 1994!

Looks like it's gotta be Blur then... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Using your mobile phone for finding things on the world wide web!!
    Is the technology that far advanced, will it catch on or is it just a limited gimic for the wealthy yuppies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Something about the dole.
    Something about travellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I have a feeling Michael Carruth will do well in the Olympics

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

It's 41 long years since Mayo won the All-Ireland, does anyone else fancy them to break the hoodoo this year?

The band Guns N Roses have a long prosperous future ahead of them, can't see them disintegrate anytime soon, can't wait to see them at Slane.

How do you store your floppys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Show us your Telecom Eireann Callcard Collection
    The 25+ person queue to use the college phone boxes on Thursday evenings-will there ever be a solution?
    Are perms really over?
    Best typewriter to buy for when you can't access any of the computer suites in college(yes this one really happened).
    Student digs and the landlady (and her kids)from hell-how to stop her trying to be your second mammy?
    Best places to rent your student telly from (when you eventually escape from the hell of student digs).

Why can't the government do something about the lack of Taxis in Dublin. Fed up after standing on a queue for over an hour in the rain on College Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Is the technology that far advanced, will it catch on or is it just a limited gimic for the wealthy yuppies?

You're way ahead of yourself there, nobody was doing that in 1992. Many of us were still queueing to use a public phone box in 1992, we still communicated by writing letters, you had to buy a camera and a roll of film to take snaps and then take the roll of film to the chemist and wait to see how they turned out a week-or-two later.

You're way ahead of yourself there, nobody was doing that in 1992. Many of us were still queueing to use a public phone box in 1992, we still communicated by writing letters, you had to buy a camera and a roll of film to take snaps and then take the roll of film to the chemist and wait to see how they turned out a week-or-two later.

I meant that to sound in "coming soon" mode :) The first prototype, the IBM Simon, had its debut in Nov 1992, but the first commercially available mobile browser went live in 1994 and it was horrendously expensive to use.
    I had my first mobile phone in 1988 and it cost to receive calls as well as make them.

I used to send postcards to the folks to tell them if I was coming home from college at the weekend to save them having to ring my landlady from the neighbours' phone or have the neighbours constantly having to deliver my messages to them. I was not allowed to use the landlady's phone.

I wrote letters to friends working abroad that summer and was their only source of Irish news.

I think one hour photo opened a year or two later and it was so amazing to not have to wait that fortnight to get your photos back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

So imagine being in a time warp back 25 years (is it really that long??!!) to 1992. What would have been the threads on AH if Boards had been around back then?

Should gay sex be legal?

I was 11/12 in 1992. I had a commodore 64 computer,how could I ever forget flimbos quest what a f*kin game. Bono was dabbing his toe into dance music with zooropa. We really thought we were sitting at the top table at the wedding concerning the football. Euro Disney opened in Paris. It was a really bad year in the north,really bad. I discovered girls and cannabis. Suede British Knights were the coolest thing to have on your feet, Nike air Jordans all the rage too. There were lots of rave tunes in the charts based on themes from kids shows such as sesame street and the magic roundabout. 1992 was a pretty cool time to come of age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

How did we not qualify for the Euros? I mean Jaysis! We were planning a mega trip to Sweden :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I meant that to sound in "coming soon" mode.

'Coming soon' from the perspective of a quarter of a century later. People had pen pals in 1992 not Whatsapp. In 1992 parents spent several weeks wages on 'Encyclopedia Britannica' to help thier kids get access to information. Microsoft Encarta (digital encyclopedia) was released in 1993 before the vast majority of people even had a home PC never mind an internet connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Should gay sex be legal?

I was 11/12 in 1992. I had a commodore 64 computer,how could I ever forget flimbos quest what a f*kin game. Bono was dabbing his toe into dance music with zooropa. We really thought we were sitting at the top table at the wedding concerning the football. Euro Disney opened in Paris. It was a really bad year in the north,really bad. I discovered girls and cannabis. Suede British Knights were the coolest thing to have on your feet, Nike air Jordans all the rage too. There were lots of rave tunes in the charts based on themes from kids shows such as sesame street and the magic roundabout. 1992 was a pretty cool time to come of age.
    I was the same age, played flimbos quest probably as much as you. But the girls and cannabis? Yeah no this 11 year old wasn't too well acquainted with them.

On topic:
    Won't it be great when we don't have to send letters to thousands of people for each thread or reply anymore?

Cannabis and girls at age 11/12? Wow - you started early.

It's pretty sobering to think that as late as 1992 many people did not even have home phones, never mind PCs.

Ireland was shockingly behind the rest of the developed world just 25 years ago. the Economist labelled us "the poorest of the rich."

The catch up we've done since then is impressive when you think of it.

I remember that year the college sent us a special offer leaflet on a home computer (and possibly a prehistoric laptop) with our registration pack. Would have been nice to get if it hadn't cost more than my student grant for the entire year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Flimbo's Quest, holy crap I've been trying to remember the name of that for years!

Brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

WAP.

/shudders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

sunbeam wrote: »
    I remember that year the college sent us a special offer leaflet on a home computer (and possibly a prehistoric laptop) with our registration pack. Would have been nice to get if it hadn't cost more than my student grant for the entire year.
    I replayed it on an emulator recently and other than the very vivid memories of playing as a child (though for some reason the game creeps me out to think of it) the game itself wasn't up to much at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Liverpool for the league lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I meant that to sound in "coming soon" mode :) The first prototype, the IBM Simon, had its debut in Nov 1992, but the first commercially available mobile browser went live in 1994 and it was horrendously expensive to use.
    I had my first mobile phone in 1988 and it cost to receive calls as well as make them.

A mobile phone in 1988? Was it one of those huge things that came in a suitcase?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Pearl Jam or Nirvana... G'wan Eddie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I was 8. When I think of that year the first thing I think of is Home and Away and Vanilla Ice :/:)

There would probably be threads on Sinead O'Connor ripping up the picture of the pope and Lynda Martin's Eurovision win. The Crying Game was released that year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

You could buy a house for £45k with a £3k first time buyer grant, for a £100 deposit in south Dublin.

1992 is a great year to choose for a thread like this. It probably has the maximum capacity out of all years to surprise people by reminders of what life was really like then!

It was much more of the 80s than the 90s. People still mostly went to mass. Most people were hard up for money, not having ever known anything else, with the 90s boom yet to happen. Politics was all about post Berlin-Wall Europe, the Maastricht treaty, George Bush sr. was president and Clinton hadn't been elected yet, post Soviet Union. The Simpsons was hugely popular. America and American cultural still had the power to entrance us. Life was slower in Ireland, fewer cars on the road, roads in poor conditions, few motorways, people ate out much less, etc. Very different world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

I'm 11, wheres the tits?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

jamesbere wrote: »
    Denmark will win the euros, call me crazy but I'll be right

They haven't even qualified. It'll take civil war to break out in Yugoslavia for Denmark to even be let in. Their players are probably on a beach in Spain anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

When did most shops start opening on Sundays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

dan1895 wrote: »
    They haven't even qualified. It'll take civil war to break out in Yugoslavia for Denmark to even be let in. Their players are probably on a beach in Spain anyway.

Could ye just imagine bein picked and refusin to go cos ye think ye havent a snowballs chance in hell of winnin!!! Id only be mortified

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Could ye just imagine bein picked and refusin to go cos ye think ye havent a snowballs chance in hell of winnin!!! Id only be mortified

Kinda like Michael Laudrup..left during the qualifiers and wouldn't come back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Is Charlie haughey tapping my phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How often do you take a bath? (not everyone had showers then!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Lorelli! wrote: »
    When did most shops start opening on Sundays?

Good question! It must have been later than 1992 as I remember my folks having to schlepp all the way over to the supermarket on Friday Griffin Rd on Galway to do the shopping on Sundays because Dunnes & Quinnsworth stores closer to us were closed.
    Learner drivers would practise their driving in shopping centre car parks. The wide open spaces.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    A mobile phone in 1988? Was it one of those huge things that came in a suitcase?!

Motorola "Brick". Huge thing compared to today.

motorola_dynatac_8000x____by_redfield_1982-d7nviup.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

you had to buy a camera and a roll of film to take snaps and then take the roll of film to the chemist and wait to see how they turned out a week-or-two later.

Was only thinking to myself that it's a long time since I got a photo printed, you sorata miss the excitement of getting the photos from the chemist after a holiday or weekend away, none of this ah delete that photo, I look a state in it.

Back to 1992 thoughts, is IT or electronics worth studying, I see there seems to be an increase in jobs in this area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Sharon Curley is up the pole. Did you hear? They're making a film about it.

Ah heour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I made my confirmation in 1992

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

OMG hope I've got on alright in the Leaving! But off to Feile in the next few days and I can't wait. Looking forward to the Trip to Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭gnarbarian

Not exactly 1992 but I found the After Hours front page from 2004 using the Wayback Machine!
    November 1st 2004 https://web.archive.org/web/20041101075426/http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Its just a pity that you cant actually click on the forum posts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

gnarbarian wrote: »
    Not exactly 1992 but I found the After Hours front page from 2004 using the Wayback Machine!
    November 1st 2004 https://web.archive.org/web/20041101075426/http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Its just a pity that you cant actually click on the forum posts...

jeez only 7 pages of threads in AH. those were the days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I'm off picking bulbs in Holland for the summer and bagged a dirt cheap fare of IR£358 (return!!) down at USIT. Few other lads from the RTC going too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Can't post as I don't know what the internet is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement