Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vaccine schedule

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’m so annoyed at this measles outbreak. My babies are ten months and have no protection and are at risk all because of anti vaxxers. I had measles as a baby and I was seriously ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

fits wrote:
    I’m so annoyed at this measles outbreak. My babies are ten months and have no protection and are at risk all because of anti vaxxers. I had measles as a baby and I was seriously ill.

I feel exactly the same, mine is 9 months and I'm depending on other people to vaccinate their 1 year olds to keep her safe until she can get it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I"ll stick with vaccinating thanks.
    Frankly, the risks of not doing are far far greater than the risks of doing it.
    I'm currently nursing an unwell toddler, and I can't imagine why you would knowingly leave your kids open to worse diseases that they could be protected from.They have enough to be dealing with as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

As mum of a 6 month old unprotected with a measles outbreak nearby I am seriously p**sed off with people like this querying FACT and putting my child in danger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

fits wrote: »

Contact your gp, some are pressuring the hse to see if they can administer the mmr earlier because there is an outbreak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

pablojml wrote: »
    You don't need to be a doctor or scientist to conduct research imo.

Of course. With the caveat that the verb 'to google' does not equal the verb 'to research'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

maxsmum wrote: »
    As mum of a 6 month old unprotected with a measles outbreak nearby I am seriously p**sed off with people like this querying FACT and putting my child in danger.

This is something I’ve been thinking a lot about as well. Due in 6 weeks and the thought of how vulnerable my tiny baby will be until they get the vaccines is scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

bee06 wrote: »
    This is something I’ve been thinking a lot about as well. Due in 6 weeks and the thought of how vulnerable my tiny baby will be until they get the vaccines is scary.

I'm not a medical professional by any means, but I think there is some carry over of maternal immunity in the first few weeks/months?

Good luck and best wishes, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Jawgap wrote: »
    I'm not a medical professional by any means, but I think there is some carry over of maternal immunity in the first few weeks/months?

Good luck and best wishes, btw.

I know that’s the case for the whooping cough but a good question for my gp next week in relation to measles etc. Thanks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

There is, especially if breastfeeding, but I wouldn't rely on it for 100% protection.I mean I know people wouldn't be doing it but I would be protective enough of who visits, especially if there were kids in schools or with exposure to it coming to visit.Just to be safe.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

People who don't get their kids vaccinated (without proper medical advice) should get them taken off them and never be allowed to have any more. It's terrible parenting, putting their kids at risk because of 'research' by quacks and nutjobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Neil Z. Miller..

Miller gets his information from extra terrestrials. He's a bloody loon and is not a reliable source. Post links to authenticated studies to back up your antivax claims or stop posting.

Measles in the US and UK was in decline, the year that the vaccine was introduced 1955, Measles had declined by 97% on its own.

More rubbish.

Measles_US_1944-2007_inset.png

maxsmum wrote: »

This. Antivaxxers are killing people. That's not dramatic - that's a fact. They are responsible for every single child who dies from a preventable disease. That includes Neil Miller, Andrew Wakefield, Jonathan Irwin and the entire Regret organisation like Anna Cannon, Roma Rossborough, Catherine Weitbrecht, etc.

I'll even say it again. They are killing people with their unscientific, dangerous, scaremongering.

I am not an expert on all this, but I was reading that Japan for example between 1975-2002 delayed the vaccine schedule until kids were 2years old, and the overall infant mortality improved to become the best in the world. This sounds to me to be an amazing argument.

https://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/japan-and-hpv-vaccine-debunking-myths/

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

I would ring your GP and ask about getting it early as apparently during an outbreak, they will vaccinate with the MMR as young as 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

I would ring your GP and ask about getting it early as apparently during an outbreak, they will vaccinate with the MMR as young as 6 months.

I’ll ask him this week thanks. I’m well away from outbreak location so hopefully not at great risk. Boys almost eleven months though so it could be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

You don't need to be a doctor or scientist to conduct research imo.

What do you do if your car breaks down? You bring it to a mechanic.
    Why wouldn't you speak to a medical professional about a medical related question?

The problem with these research papers is that they are highly scientific and without holding a relevant degree or qualification you'll struggle to fully embrace the content of it.
    And exactly this happens with for example mercury. People who are not in any regard qualified in the field read somethingsomething mercury. Will kill you, is bad for you. And this is not what's actually true.

Do you know what salt contains? Chloride. Pure Chloride is incredibly contraproductive for the body but if it's bound to Natrium it's absolutely harmless in the right dose and we eat it every day.

Please talk to a professional about vaccines. Without qualification you're not capable of fully understanding research, ingredients, the way the body works with vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I am not an expert on all this, but I was reading that Japan for example between 1975-2002 delayed the vaccine schedule until kids were 2years old, and the overall infant mortality improved to become the best in the world. This sounds to me to be an amazing argument.

In 2000 there were an estimated 200,000 cases of measles in Japan and 88 deaths. It's not just children and infants, Japanese universities have had large outbreaks forcing them to close. Japan is the only developed country in the world to currently have large scale measles out breaks and is considered a "measles exporter" by the CDC. They have introduced a double vaccination program but it will be a decade before they will have full herd immunity of the population and all of this is due to public pressure over a paper proven to be full of lies and misinformation. The added kicker? Autism rates in Japan are roughly the same as the rest of the developed world.

Autism rates in Japan are roughly the same as the rest of the developed world.

Yep - that's because vaccines don't cause autism - they cause adults.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Orion wrote: »
    Yep - that's because vaccines don't cause autism - they cause adults.

That was the point I was making .... didn't think it was subtle.....

That was the point I was making .... didn't think it was subtle.....

I was agreeing with you :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I’ll ask him this week thanks. I’m well away from outbreak location so hopefully not at great risk. Boys almost eleven months though so it could be an option.

Is there somewhere this kind of information is posted?
    Thanks for your response, here's some information I've researched:

Chickenpox: this is considered by many experts a relatively harmless childhood disease, children who catch it develop immediate immunity in their lifetime without serious complications. In my country there used to be chickenpox parties where children were exposed to it at early ages 4-10 maybe and nothing harmful happened, maybe a week of itchiness and gone. However if this disease is caught in teenagers and adults can be harmful. Serious reactions reported to the FDA and CDC are (taken from 100.000 samples) 4%, where 14% of these serious reactions come from kids 0-12months, these "serious" reactions categorized by FDA are: death, life-threatening events, hospitalizations, persistent or significant disabilities, and others.

Some of my research about these two and own words.

Would like to hear from you guys.
    Those are my own notes and lots of time spent reading in internet, I don't have all the links at hand, one book I recently read summarizes in detail all the diseases and related vaccines with its implications, it's very well documented: Vaccines: are they really safe and effective? - Neil Z. Miller.

Also wanted to mention in the case of Hepatitis B vaccine: In 1993 there was a study where doctors and pediatricians were surveyed and 87% of them said the vaccine is not necessary in newborns.

You can also research about the Merck scandal regarding their vaccines.

I'd suspect your notes are on the weak side, or you've decided at some point to discard information on Chicken Pox. Once you've had it, you remain infected by it in a dormant state. I found this out by my son "getting it," a second time.

I'd suspect your notes are on the weak side,

That's putting it mildly. Here's the Neil Z Miller referenced just to show the validity of his claims.

CJqfqP6WcAA2KpI.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Orion wrote: »
    That's putting it mildly. Here's the Neil Z Miller referenced just to show the validity of his claims.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJqfqP6WcAA2KpI.jpg

Yeah I caught that through the thread. But I doubt his "notes" are based solely on that 1 "source." He just seems to be chasing his own suspicions. That's why i picked on Chicken Pox itself. He seemed to miss something that's quite trivial about it, which he should have noticed if he researched it as extensively as he alluded to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

You don't need to vaccinate all your kids, just the ones you like and want to keep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Cordell wrote: »
    You don't need to vaccinate all your kids, just the ones you like and want to keep.

Now you tell me......

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pablojml

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pablojml

Two babies dead, the first one 3 minutes after the MMR vaccine and the second one 1hr after the MMR vaccine, the second one their parents refused to vaccinate but the nurse went ahead anyways and killed the child.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/world/two-babies-die-in-samoa-hospital-minutes-after-receiving-mmr-vaccinations-investigation-underway

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12086295

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

It can be a bad or contaminated batch (which can happen to any drug) or just the normal associated risk that's there for every drug as well. The risk/benefit and all that comes into play.

A huge number of children die every year by chocking on their food. Does that mean that we should stop feeding our children? Risk/benefit, again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement