Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Role & Salary Negotiation

Options
  • 24-07-2017 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

I'm in the process of being offered a new role by my employer.

It is a promotion and as such comes with additional responsibilities and increased salary and I'm trying to establish what salary to ask for.

The job title would be akin to a Senior Sales Operations Analyst covering 2 countries for a Multinational based in Dublin.

I will have 2 direct reports and will have overall responsibility for producing Monthly, Quarterly and Yearly Sales, Commission and KPI Reports by rep and region.

I am also heavily involved in budgeting, forecasting and target setting from an Organisational Level down to rep level.

My team will also produce customer usage/spend reports on a monthly/quarterly basis. So it involves interaction with both internal and external stakeholders.

I am also the CRM Subject Matter Expert.

The role will entail some travel but it mostly office based.

Total sales in 2016 were in the region of $30m.

What sort of salary should I be asking for/expecting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No idea, but that's a fairly specific job spec, that I guess could easily be recognised by others in your industry / organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

I'm in the process of being offered a new role by my employer.

It is a promotion and as such comes with additional responsibilities and increased salary and I'm trying to establish what salary to ask for.

The job title would be akin to a Senior Sales Operations Analyst covering 2 countries for a Multinational based in Dublin.

I will have 2 direct reports and will have overall responsibility for producing Monthly, Quarterly and Yearly Sales, Commission and KPI Reports by rep and region.

I am also heavily involved in budgeting, forecasting and target setting from an Organisational Level down to rep level.

My team will also produce customer usage/spend reports on a monthly/quarterly basis. So it involves interaction with both internal and external stakeholders.

I am also the CRM Subject Matter Expert.

The role will entail some travel but it mostly office based.

Total sales in 2016 were in the region of $30m.

What sort of salary should I be asking for/expecting?

New Role or replacing another person? If replacing another person is there anyway you could find out that salary?

Have a ball park figure in your head but remember also work out what percentage that is. You may have to justify the requested increase so be prepared for that.

Could you build in future increases or bonuses on top of revised salary? Are there other things other than salary that you could be offerd? Increased Pension Contribution, More Holidays, work from Home, Company Car etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

TheBlock wrote: »
    New Role or replacing another person? If replacing another person is there anyway you could find out that salary?

Have a ball park figure in your head but remember also work out what percentage that is. You may have to justify the requested increase so be prepared for that.

Could you build in future increases or bonuses on top of revised salary? Are there other things other than salary that you could be offerd? Increased Pension Contribution, More Holidays, work from Home, Company Car etc...

It's a direct replacement and I've tried to find the previous salary but couldn't.

I have a figure in my head, and am conscious of the % increase and how that might be a sticking point but I'm also moving departments so not sure how relevant previous salary is.

Not overly interested in a work from home option to be honest, and company car isnt an option at my level but I take your point about additional benefits. Salary is after all only part of the overall reimbursement.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Is this not a "Salary Commensurate with the Role and Increased Responsibilities" answers if/when asked.

See what they offer and work from there....Never accept the first offer.

It is, just don't want to under value myself. I may not get another opportunity to negotiate salary for a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

What have you mind yourself as what would be reasonable in terms of % increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Get an opinion of a recruiter.

Assuuming you are Dublin based I would think ballpark you are in the 40k region there, maybe a slight notch above.

skallywag wrote: »
    What have you mind yourself as what would be reasonable in terms of % increase?

To be honest, because I'm moving departments I don't see the relevance of the % increase. I'm taking on additional responsibilities to my existing role, so I'm expecting the going rate for this role regardless of what the % increase is.

myshirt wrote: »
    Get an opinion of a recruiter.

Assuuming you are Dublin based I would think ballpark you are in the 40k region there, maybe a slight notch above.

Yeah, Dublin based. It's been so long since I've job hunted through a recruiter that I don't know any that I trust.

To be honest, because I'm moving departments I don't see the relevance of the % increase. I'm taking on additional responsibilities to my existing role, so I'm expecting the going rate for this role regardless of what the % increase is.

I agree with you that it should not be relevant, as would my current employer, in that they offer salaries which are matching to the role and experience level, also for internal moves.

My previous employer had a different outlook though, for internal moves they would always ask themselves what is the minimum increase that they would have to offer in order to convince you to move to the new role. Usually about 15% appeared to be the mark where the employee would nearly always agree to the move, whereas the salary that one would have had to offer for an external hire could be considerably higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

In my experience any internal promotion carries very small pay increases (if any) for very large increases in resposibilities.

That said, Shoot for the stars, hope for the moon. Its all a negotiation, start off high, Know what is the least you'll take and always be prepared to say no and walk away.

• Advertisement

In my experience any internal promotion carries very small pay increases (if any) for very large increases in resposibilities.

That said, Shoot for the stars, hope for the moon. Its all a negotiation, start off high, Know what is the least you'll take and always be prepared to say no and walk away.

My previous company would often try to play a card such as 'you need to prove yourself in the role for 6-12 months' before any increase can be considered. Complete nonsense looking back, but it's funny how it was just accepted as the norm by most people.

Agreed that you should have a minimum in mind before entering the discussion, and keep in mind of course too that they will also very likely have a maximum above which they will not be able or willing to go without creating major approval headaches for themselves. I actually cannot think of a single example

If you cannot reach agreement then that's when things can have the potential to get awkward. You can still return to your old role of course, that you may find yourself stuck in it without prospects, depending on the attitude of your superiors. Though that said I cannot now think of a single example when someone was offered a new superior role and did not take it, regardless of the salary.

I agree with you that it should not be relevant, as would my current employer, in that they offer salaries which are matching to the role and experience level, also for internal moves.

My previous employer had a different outlook though, for internal moves they would always ask themselves what is the minimum increase that they would have to offer in order to convince you to move to the new role. Usually about 15% appeared to be the mark where the employee would nearly always agree to the move, whereas the salary that one would have had to offer for an external hire could be considerably higher.

Unfortunately I think my employer may lean towards the former employer rather than the latter. There are a couple of moves at play here though that are dependent on me taking this role, so I'm hoping that strengthens my hand.

Yeah, this is my experience too and in previous roles when I was promoted internally I was probably too quick to accept offers so I'm keen to avoid this happening again.

My previous company would often try to play a card such as 'you need to prove yourself in the role for 6-12 months' before any increase can be considered. Complete nonsense looking back, but it's funny how it was just accepted as the norm by most people.

Agreed that you should have a minimum in mind before entering the discussion, and keep in mind of course too that they will also very likely have a maximum above which they will not be able or willing to go without creating major approval headaches for themselves. I actually cannot think of a single example

If you cannot reach agreement then that's when things can have the potential to get awkward. You can still return to your old role of course, that you may find yourself stuck in it without prospects, depending on the attitude of your superiors. Though that said I cannot now think of a single example when someone was offered a new superior role and did not take it, regardless of the salary.

In my younger days I was caught out with the "lets review salary in 6 months" when asked to take on more responsibilities, needless to say the 6 month review was less than I felt I deserved. Left a sour taste in my mouth at the time.

I could stay in the role I'm in, but I've grown out of it and need a new challenge so if we can't come to an agreement then I'm afraid it'll be time to move on.

Advertisement