Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandycove outdoor gym

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The "equipment" is a waste of time.

I've never seen anyone bar little kids and teenagers messing on them for a reason, they're pointless as an exercise.

You can actually put in some equipment that is very useful but I've no idea what they were thinking putting in that stuff.

Below's a link to some stuff they have in a park in Waterford which at times you would have to share with other users as people want to use them.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.2553477,-7.1068999,3a,24y,74.78h,88.4t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJVVF20B4J4YR-Ueje2dzuQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Two chin up bars, a sit up thing, something you can do step ups and, and another thing you can do dips on. It's a million times better than the crap they had by the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

CatFromHue wrote: »

I've never seen anyone bar little kids and teenagers messing on them for a reason, they're pointless as an exercise.

You can actually put in some equipment that is very useful but I've no idea what they were thinking putting in that stuff.

Below's a link to some stuff they have in a park in Waterford which at times you would have to share with other users as people want to use them.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.2553477,-7.1068999,3a,24y,74.78h,88.4t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJVVF20B4J4YR-Ueje2dzuQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Two chin up bars, a sit up thing, something you can do step ups and, and another thing you can do dips on. It's a million times better than the crap they had by the sea.

wasn't there gear like that up Killiney Hill years ago? Near the Burmah road carpark. Or is my mind playing tricks on me?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

CatFromHue wrote: »

+1, I was saying the same thing in the fitness forum a few years back. Whoever put it in obviously has no idea of what you need, and someone was flogging it not giving a damn. A chinup bar and dip bar cost very little and give great exercise. What is the point of "air walking" when you could be walking along the seafront anyway?!

http://www.herald.ie/news/city-suburb-gets-outdoor-gym-despite-protests-by-angry-locals-27998286.html

locals were dead against it, €29,000 pissed away. YES €29,000

see them here
    https://goo.gl/maps/gvCdqXfdqoD2
    Geraldine Gittens – 16 January 2012 04:00 PM

A HOST of new exercise machines has been installed on one of the most sought-after costal areas of the capital -- despite the majority of locals voting against the it.

At a meeting of the Sandycove and Glasthule Residents Association in November, 107 residents out of 110 voted against the idea of the outdoor gym on the coast at Newtownsmith.

However, since then six exercise machines have been installed by Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council at a cost of €29,000.

Bob Waddell, a member of the association's committee said: "We had a meeting at the end of last year and 107 people voted against it, and three went for it.

"We don't stand against anything to do with improvement of health. But the whole area should be kept solely as a green area.

"There were a number of residents particularly anti this plan, because they felt it would bring anti-social behaviour."

Also a simple chinup bar and dip bars would not attract many scumbags out drinking, as you cannot really do much on them, those things currently in place have so little effort that I can picture lads pricking about on them after a few drinks. I only ever saw very young children use them.

Advertisement