Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for a +1 bike (n+1)

Options
  • 24-07-2017 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭

Another "recommend me a bike" thread, but with a bit of a difference - I'm not actually even sure what type of bike I want.

I'm looking to replace my current commuter which has served me well for the guts of a decade. It's a Giant mountain bike with front suspension, wide tires and rim brakes. Not really all that well suited for commuting but it was fine for a flattish daily round trip of 15km. So I'd like to replace it with something that's a bit more suited to commuting but that can also serve some other purpose. The n in n+1 is currently equal to 3 (I already have two drop-bar road bikes) so feel like I should try bring a bit of diversity to the bike fleet. I am thinking something for greenway-type cycles or maybe some touring. I don't necessarily need panniers (don't use any currently for commuting), and would probably prefer to stick with rim brakes as I'm used to maintaining them. I am hoping to get it through the Bike to Work scheme (can use either www.biketowork.ie or www.bikes4work.ie) but would also just buy online myself if there was a better one to be had here.

So any suggestions of what type of bike, brand, or specific bike to get would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Well, I've heard it said that cross is coming so maybe a cyclocross bike might be just the ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Cannondale Slate? Suspension fork with drop bars...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ximo

I would also go for a cyclocross, but defo with disks. They are perfect for daily use in the rain. The problem with cyclocross bikes is that they might look too similar in the eyes of the girl ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Thanks a mill for the suggestions, lots of cross fans! I hadn't given them much though as wasn't sure about getting another drop bar bike or one with disk brakes. How have people found running one as a commuter on (relatively) mud pit-free tarmac roads? Or any experiences using a cyclocross bike for touring - would most/any generally have attachments for paniers?

Will have to pop into some Dublin bricks and mortar shops and check out their selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭talos

Something that you might consider:

Genesis Croix de Fer 20/30
    Saracen Hack 2/in Black

Both can have panniers and mudguards. They are not specific to one discipline, but a mix of cyclocross / gravel / adventure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Have a Cannondale CAADX as my commuter/general purpose bike. It takes mudguards and a pannier rack. Replaced the rear disc brake calliper with a TRP Spyre one to facilitate the carrier. Generally happy with it. The rear wheel started breaking spokes. I replaced it with the intention of sorting the original wheel on my own time. Haven't got around to that yet though.

Advertisement