Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify please: Bee or wasp

Options
  • 24-07-2017 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

They have established a nest on the ground in a crevice between grass plants.
    Non-agressive.

24h08.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭forumuser

Looks like a wasp to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

But they are totally non-aggreesive and have build a nest on the ground. That has me wondering as from my googlng it seems that wasps build nests high up or on walls. No reported stings not even our every curious cat poking her nose almost in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Wasps. They are more aggressive than bees generally, especially as the season proceeds and of course if they feel threatened. They dont make great neighbours -- especially if there are children or pets around. They can nest in the ground or in suspended paper-like nests.
    Plenty of info and advice online etc but I would get rid of them if it was my choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

http://www.gerrywalsh.com/blog/is-it-a-bee-or-a-wasp

General rule is that bees are furry and fat and wasps are smooth and thin. What you have looks like a wasp, but the picture is very small.

You also find bees wandering in and out of flowers whereas wasps just hang around being annoying assholes.

"Aggressive" doesn't necessarily they'll attack you. I've done pruning/gardening on trees that are swarmed with bees and they'll completely leave you alone so long as you're not shaking the tree. Whereas wasps are more likely to come and investigate if you go near them, and land on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭carbonceiling

I had the unfortunate experience of discovering a nest of ground wasps in my garden. Unfortunately, I ran over the entrance to the nest when I was clearing out some long grass under some bushes with a strimmer. i was wearing safety goggles, safety boots and leather gloves, but still got stung 17 times.

be very careful around that nest, if they get disturbed, they can turn nasty very very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I found this very clear and informative article.
    https://www.keele.ac.uk/arboretum/articles/wasps/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

Wasps

Nuke the bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 15 wicklapaul

It's a wasp, get rid of them as soon as possible, get yourself some wasp killer in most garden centres.
    At the moment wasps are still busy collecting insects to feed their larvae.
    When the queen dies, that is when the **** hits the fan, the hide breaks down. The kill and eat all the larvae, and it's every wasp for itself, that's when the get a taste for sugary things and start to attack, as one person said nuke them now, a week or two they will probably be swarming everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

I've got them eating my damsons already... Wasn't a heavy crop this year so letting them at it... I've no reason to kill them as they are nature and IL let it take it's course... tree is well away from the house...

Few years back I had a big nest beside the hedge which is located beside my kitchen window... I killed them then because they were being a nuisance...

If they are causing us no harm we leave them be... I hate and can't stand anybody who kills the bee's... One of my major pet hates...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I see lots of wasps nest in the ground.

Treat the nest now, because the problem is you could walk past it 50 times but do it at the wrong time and you'll have 100 wasps chasing you at top speed.

I did one recently with a tin of "wasp nest destroyer" I got in woodies.

My advice is do it before you regret not doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

wicklapaul wrote: »
    It's a wasp, get rid of them as soon as possible, get yourself some wasp killer in most garden centres.
    At the moment wasps are still busy collecting insects to feed their larvae.
    When the queen dies, that is when the **** hits the fan, the hide breaks down. The kill and eat all the larvae, and it's every wasp for itself, that's when the get a taste for sugary things and start to attack, as one person said nuke them now, a week or two they will probably be swarming everywhere

Yes, and kill every other beneficial insect in the garden while you're at it. :rolleyes:

Wasps only seek out sugary alternatives, as you say, when the hive breaks down in Autumn and flowering plants are less plentiful. Up to that point they feed the young on aphids etc. while the adults feed on nectar. They are invaluable pollinators and rid our gardens of many pests.
    Generally, they do us very little harm.

Of course action may be required if a nest is in a house or over the front door, but most nests can be left undisturbed quite easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Wasp!

If it's somewhere people are likely to be then get rid of the nest. I've come across them building nests in old burrows, so don't think it's not a wasps' nest just because it's down low.

Advertisement