Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male Issue: Looking for Hope

Options
  • 24-07-2017 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

We have been trying to conceive for seven months. I'm 38, my partner is 39. We recently went for tests and have ended up in the following situation.

My partner's tests led to positive results. While her cycles were quite irregular for a number of months, her scan and blood tests revealed that she was ovulating. An AMH test remains to be completed.

As for me, my Semen Analysis turned out to be not what I wanted or expected.

My motility was measured at 82 - this was deemed an excellent result given that 40 was the reference point here. Alas, my count was 31 (39 being the reference point), with morphology at 2.5 (reference point 4).

I am deeply disappointed about my results. I live a very healthy lifestyle - I don't drink or smoke, I take numerous fertility supplements, eat well and exercise very regularly but there are factors that I know I can work on lifestyle-wise, specifically stress management and sleep. The stress of the test itself coupled with months of anxiety about the chances of conceiving cannot have helped. I have recently switched from Wellman Conception to Fertilaid plus Fertilaid Count Boost and Motility Boost.

My doctor was quite encouraging regarding the prospects for me to improve my semen quality prior to a repeat analysis.

I would be delighted to hear from those who might have faced similar problems and managed to overcome them. I truly yearn to be a father; the prospect of being at fault for a failure to conceive is too terrible for words.

Thanks to all who will take the time to read and reply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Genetics also plays a very significant role here, which you unfortunately cannot influence. At what scale of severity does your doctor place your numbers?

We were not able to conceive naturally ourselves regardless of the fact that both of our tests came back within the normal ranges.

Is IVF/ICSI something that you would consider?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Both doctors and the nurse at the surgery looked at the numbers and essentially said there was nothing major to worry about. However, I am determined to do whatever I can to improve my situation.

At present advanced medical intervention is not possible for financial reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Both doctors and the nurse at the surgery looked at the numbers and essentially said there was nothing major to worry about.

Well if that is the case I don't think you should be feeling so deeply disappointed, and in any case 7 months is not all that long really to be trying.

You seem to have a good handle on how to maximize your chances. You probably know this already, but over doing the physical side of things can also have a negative effect on fertility, though this would normally become relevant more at very extreme training levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

1. Do you cycle a lot? This can cause issues.
    2. Heat can also be a factor. Consider loose fitting boxers and avoid sauna's

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

My partner's semen analysis didn't seem great initially. The figures were kind of the opposite of yours. He had terrible motility and morphology but his count was pretty high. As a result the doctor we were seeing said the overall result wasn't that bad. I'd follow the lead of your doctor and if they don't seem unduly worried then you have no reason to be. Two months after his analysis results and our tears and worry about them, I was pregnant. Try not to worry. Keep taking supplements, be as healthy as you can and I'm sure you can improve your figures even more. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I know some folk who've found the book "taking charge of your fertility" very useful in boosting semen quality. It's got a list of supplements that help a lot. It might set you back a few quid in the health food shop but it's far cheaper than fertility treatment.

Also get a general health check up - I know someone who's sperm quality was poor due to an underlying health condition elsewhere in the body and when that was sorted there was a marked difference in quality from the previous sample analysed.

If you do an advanced search on this forum, there has been a few posters some years ago who tried out different supplements for male factor and had success.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Robinson1978

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I am genuinely pleased to note the willingness of others offer feedback.

Reply1 wrote: »
    1. Do you cycle a lot? This can cause issues.
    2. Heat can also be a factor. Consider loose fitting boxers and avoid sauna's

I'm avoiding cycling but I jog most days. I think the stress and sleep issues are the ones that I can improve on. In general I am very relaxed but wanting to experience fatherhood has previously involved an urgency bordering on obsession. However, I am good at shielding my partner from any sign of that - a fretful man is the last thing she needs now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

OP, you are only 7 months into trying and it only takes one good sperm to hit the jackpot. Stress is a major component of infertility in men and women, especially where they put pressure on themselves to conceive.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

My husbands results were ok but not great. This was after 3 unsuccessful OI cycles. What he done was;

* Change to loose boxers rather than briefs
    * Switched to decaf coffee + tea
    * Took daily supplement of coenzyme q10 100mg

His results were much better, tested three months apart. We then conceived on the next cycle using IUI. (note the main issues were mine but were advised to try and improve his results)

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

judeboy101 wrote: »
    OP, you are only 7 months into trying and it only takes one good sperm to hit the jackpot. Stress is a major component of infertility in men and women, especially where they put pressure on themselves to conceive.

Yes, I have felt the pressure - entirely self-imposed - over recent months, but I realise that I am hampering my chances by not addressing that. Thanks for the reply - honestly, I appreciate the support.

lashes34 wrote: »
    My husbands results were ok but not great. This was after 3 unsuccessful OI cycles. What he done was;

* Change to loose boxers rather than briefs
    * Switched to decaf coffee + tea
    * Took daily supplement of coenzyme q10 100mg

His results were much better, tested three months apart. We then conceived on the next cycle using IUI. (note the main issues were mine but were advised to try and improve his results)

Best of luck.

I am delighted to hear of your success! Such stories are precisely what I need to hear now . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Had a medical condition in my early 20's that made me infertile due to the steroids I had to take

I cant remember the exact results but less than 2 million per milliliter was the count number. The mobility isn't great either. By all counts I'm infertile.

However I've impregnated my wife 3 times in 5 years, unfortunately two were miscarriages (miscarriages are not related to sperm, only a healthy will fertilize an egg)

It only takes one swimmer to do the job :-)

I didn't do a lot supplement wise but lead a relatively healthy life style. The only thing we did was a lot of shagging. To the point where, like most TTC couples I imagine, I'm looking forward to having one just for fun some year soon (still trying for a second child)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Also please note that if you have 100 couples with normal fertility, 90% of them will conceive within 12 months. That means that it can take more than a year of trying for 10% of people who have no fertility issues whatsoever. You are only 7 months in... by those odds, you're right slap-bang in the middle of normal timing. A lot of conceiving a baby is just luck... right sperm, right egg, right time. Try to relax a little because it doesn't look like you have anything to be worrying about at this early stage.

Best of luck.

mitresize5 wrote: »
    Had a medical condition in my early 20's that made me infertile due to the steroids I had to take

I cant remember the exact results but less than 2 million per milliliter was the count number. The mobility isn't great either. By all counts I'm infertile.

However I've impregnated my wife 3 times in 5 years, unfortunately two were miscarriages (miscarriages are not related to sperm, only a healthy will fertilize an egg)

It only takes one swimmer to do the job :-)

I didn't do a lot supplement wise but lead a relatively healthy life style. The only thing we did was a lot of shagging. To the point where, like most TTC couples I imagine, I'm looking forward to having one just for fun some year soon (still trying for a second child)

I am so pleased to hear of your success. It is deeply encouraging; I genuinely appreciate your willingness to share your story!

Also please note that if you have 100 couples with normal fertility, 90% of them will conceive within 12 months. That means that it can take more than a year of trying for 10% of people who have no fertility issues whatsoever. You are only 7 months in... by those odds, you're right slap-bang in the middle of normal timing. A lot of conceiving a baby is just luck... right sperm, right egg, right time. Try to relax a little because it doesn't look like you have anything to be worrying about at this early stage.

Best of luck.

Thanks ever so much for the reply. Yes, reading of the statistics involved can be reassuring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Lumina

What we did. The 2nd 2 apply to the women too.

Always sleep in the nude, do not wear underwear around the house if possible, wear loose boxers.

Take a vitamin D blood level (vitamindtest.org.uk) then optimise level to about 80/100 with supplements.

Cut out alcohol.

Lumina wrote: »
    What we did. The 2nd 2 apply to the women too.

Always sleep in the nude, do not wear underwear around the house if possible, wear loose boxers.

Take a vitamin D blood level (vitamindtest.org.uk) then optimise level to about 80/100 with supplements.

Cut out alcohol.

Cheers! The advice is very welcome.

Update . . .

I am very pleased to report that a repeat analysis revealed a huge improvement in my numbers. Every one of the parameters improved but the most significant jump was in my sperm concentration - it increased almost fivefold. All of my numbers are now very safely within the WHO reference ranges.

As mentioned in my first post, I switched from taking Wellman to taking Fertilaid (along with Fertilaid Count Boost and Fertiliad Motility Boost).

Having known the desolation of an abnormal result, I am pleased to be able to offer some hope to others who have been in my situation. I will answer any questions if asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Well done.

My advice is, fillet stake, mixed nuts, oily fish.

• Advertisement

Phil.x wrote: »
    Well done.

My advice is, fillet stake, mixed nuts, oily fish.

Interestingly, my diet is mostly vegetarian. I do eat fish occasionally for the apparent fertility benefits involved.

When I look back to my first test, I realise that I had been a long-term vegetarian who was not particularly interested in supplements. I was also consuming large amounts of soya milk. I can't be sure that such issues affected the first result but I think they are worth mentioning.

Advertisement