Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gunsmith for an old gun

Options
  • 24-07-2017 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

I've a AYA 400 SxS made in 1954, I'm looking to get it serviced and get it tidied/cleaned up,can anyone recommend who I could use for that in the Leinster area,
    Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Any one recommend a good gunsmith,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

At the risk of sounding repetitive - Gerry Gearon near Clonmel.

I currently have a Webley and Scott with him that is similar in age to your gun(maybe a bit older). It had a bit of a shake in it but he assures me that it will be no problem for him.
    Expect to wait a month or more for the gun to be done though as he is very busy and he does the work on guns in the order that he received them.

Thanks viz,
    Might be a bit far for me, I'm in Wicklow,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

what kind of work do you want done exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Vizzy wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding repetitive - Gerry Gearon near Clonmel.

I currently have a Webley and Scott with him that is similar in age to your gun(maybe a bit older). It had a bit of a shake in it but he assures me that it will be no problem for him.
    Expect to wait a month or more for the gun to be done though as he is very busy and he does the work on guns in the order that he received them.

I have heard good things about Gerry too. The problem is the guys like Gerry are older and not so tech savvy, so no websites or any of that. Many side by side fans on here ? I have a couple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Have a few alright, going from my "everyday beater" - a Sabel something or other that I actually bought new from Gerry many moons ago, through to a Webley and Scott and then this -

juice1304 wrote: »
    what kind of work do you want done exactly?

there's nothing the matter with the gun itself, so just a service or a check up really, it hasn't been looked at since it left the factory I'd reckon, i dont want to give it to any Joe soap either,

Vizzy wrote: »
    Have a few alright, going from my "everyday beater" - a Sabel something or other that I actually bought new from Gerry many moons ago, through to a Webley and Scott and then this -

OOOH, a Westley Richards, nice. I handled one of those about a year ago and it was very nice, not much money either as it had been sleeved (kills the collector interest).

Any gun smiths around Wicklow Wexford or Dublin,??

Shotgun gunsmiths ? Tony Curran who worked in Garnett and Keegans and Watt bros for years, was working up in the gun gallery in drogheda. But I would not be surprised if he had retired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

If you dont find someone you trust by christmas ill give it a service for you if you want, when i go home to visit my family, maybe before then but for sure at christmas ha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

gunny123 wrote: »
    Shotgun gunsmiths ? Tony Curran who worked in Garnett and Keegans and Watt bros for years, was working up in the gun gallery in drogheda. But I would not be surprised if he had retired.

Tonys still going. When Ardee Sports sold the Gun Gallery he moved to work in Ardee. Works a few days a week if you give them a bell he will sort you out.

cw67irl wrote: »
    Tonys still going. When Ardee Sports sold the Gun Gallery he moved to work in Ardee. Works a few days a week if you give them a bell he will sort you out.

Good to hear. There was another smith in watts, frank Saunders I think he was called, long time ago now though.

Tonys still going. When Ardee Sports sold the Gun Gallery he moved to work in Ardee. Works a few days a week if you give them a bell he will sort you out.[/quote]

He's working in Ardee sports now is it,??

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Zenner

All good Gunsmiths. Frank is still here and enjoying retirement. Mick his brother also retired and another great gunsmith. See them now and again and enjoy talking about the old days. Its such a pity their not still doing what they do so well. All three including Tony were the best around.

Getting off topic a bit, but i found this online and thought it a good read.

https://stephenmyallblog.wordpress.com/garnettskeegans/

Back on topic, servicing a simple boxlock isn't rocket science, if you feel you have the mechanical aptitude to do so . Basically you are dismantling the action to clean it of grit and rust, and to look out for anything worn, cracked or bent. Putting it back together, cleaned and with a light coating of lubrication.

When dismantling, get some small ziplock bags with the name of each part on them, plenty of mobile phone pics of each part and you won't go too far adrift. Obviously if you do find something damaged, then it goes to a gunsmith.

id rather get someone who knows what there at to look at it, than risk making a dogs dinner of it myself,

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

It's not broken, and just need tlc and some test shots, then contact Hilltop. They'll strip and clean it, put it back together, Shoot it. You can try it in the clay range before you leave then.

If you've time or want the info, they may disassemble it with you for the learning curve.

It's not broken, and just need tlc and some test shots, then contact Hilltop. They'll strip and clean it, put it back together, Shoot it. You can try it in the clay range before you leave then.

If you've time or want the info, they may disassemble it with you for the learning curve.

i know hilltop, I didn't know they had a gunsmith, who does there work for them,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

ronn wrote: »
    id rather get someone who knows what there at to look at it, than risk making a dogs dinner of it myself,

It's relatively simple to strip a shotgun. The most important thing is having a set of suitable gunsmithing screwdrivers so you don't damage the screw heads. Using a vice is also essential.

• Advertisement
Advertisement