Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance transfer

Options
  • 24-07-2017 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Just looking at my options please.

I put my car policy on hold about a year and a half ago. I want to renew my policy before the 2 year break is up. My wife is the current owner of the car but I would like to become the main driver and add her as a named driver. I have left things late as her own policy is up on the 28th of this month. Can I insure myself on the car or must I send off the log book and become the registered owner first?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I put my car policy on hold about a year and a half ago. I want to renew my policy before the 2 year break is up. My wife is the current owner of the car but I would like to become the main driver and add her as a named driver. I have left things late as her own policy is up on the 28th of this month.

Did you cancel your policy or suspended it?
    Can I insure myself on the car or must I send off the log book and become the registered owner first?

Very often you don't need to be the registered owner. It is sufficient if the car is in spouses/partner name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

grogi wrote: »
    Did you cancel your policy or suspended it?

Very often you don't need to be the registered owner. It is sufficient if the car is in spouses/partner name.

Thanks Grogi,

from what I remember I was told I could suspend it for 2 years. That was Dec 2015. I ride a motorcycle so dont need the car anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Thanks Grogi,

from what I remember I was told I could suspend it for 2 years. That was Dec 2015. I ride a motorcycle so dont need the car anymore.

Call your insurance provider today and transfer the suspended insurance to the current car starting from 28th.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I put my car policy on hold about a year and a half ago. I want to renew my policy before the 2 year break is up. My wife is the current owner of the car but I would like to become the main driver and add her as a named driver. I have left things late as her own policy is up on the 28th of this month. Can I insure myself on the car or must I send off the log book and become the registered owner first?

I am the registered owner of our one car and my oh and I swap the insurance every year with no issue (one as main driver, other as named) so we both keep our no claims. Once married you have what I think is called an insurable interest in a spouses car so you don't need to get the car put into your name to become the main insured driver. Our broker seemed very familiar with this being done so i doubt it's rare.

Advertisement