Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shimano bottom bracket replacement diy repair.

Options
  • 24-07-2017 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

Just looking online but not sure of the part to order..
    Sizeable price gap between suppliers...
    Italian thread or English thread??
    Ive a Look 675 and the spec just reads Shimano bottom bracket.
    Ive got the manual at home on the bike but might not specify the actual one....
    Any pointers?

Noticed the bike has got very noisy recently ridden in all weathers and two years old at this stage...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I bought my bike in 2006....still have the original BB.

You sure the noise is from the BB? (chances are it's not)

edit: this your bike? (press fit BB) https://www.lookcycle.com/en/velo/675-light/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I bought my bike in 2006....still have the original BB.

You sure the noise is from the BB? (chances are it's not)

edit: this your bike? (press fit BB) https://www.lookcycle.com/en/velo/675-light/

The creaking noise is coming from that area?
    I noticed when i got soaked last Thursday the noise disappeared..
    LBS saying change it every year depending on conditions and ive been out all winter...

LBS saying change it every year depending on conditions and ive been out all winter...

My money is on your wheels so. (step 2 below)

1. Clean your bike...degrease the chain and cassette and relube.
    2. remove the wheels, put some grease on the dropouts and refit the wheels ensuring they are tight.
    3. check all bolts (headset/seatpost/chainring) and tighten if necessary
    4. remove your pedals, put some grease on the treads and refit.
    5. remove your seatpost, add some grease and refit.

Go for a test ride...

07Lapierre wrote: »
    My money is on your wheels so. (step 2 below)

1. Clean your bike...degrease the chain and cassette and relube.
    2. remove the wheels, put some grease on the dropouts and refit the wheels ensuring they are tight.
    3. check all bolts (headset/seatpost/chainring) and tighten if necessary
    4. remove your pedals, put some grease on the treads and refit.
    5. remove your seatpost, add some grease and refit.

Go for a test ride...

Nah wheels are brand new...well 4 months old...

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

That's your bottom bracket. Had same thing myself. Give away is that the noise goes away when it gets wet. You should be able to get a part number from the bottom bracket to order new one. Once you have the right replacement part, v. easy to replace.

(Stolen from Google) - English (practically universal now) has left (reverse) threads on the non-drive side, and the shell width is 68 or 73 mm. Italian has conventional (right) threads on the non-drive side (which makes it try to unscrew itself) and 70mm shell width.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/complete-guide-to-bottom-brackets-36660/

• Advertisement

steamsey wrote: »
    That's your bottom bracket. Had same thing myself. Give away is that the noise goes away when it gets wet. You should be able to get a part number from the bottom bracket to order new one. Once you have the right replacement part, v. easy to replace.

(Stolen from Google) - English (practically universal now) has left (reverse) threads on the non-drive side, and the shell width is 68 or 73 mm. Italian has conventional (right) threads on the non-drive side (which makes it try to unscrew itself) and 70mm shell width.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/complete-guide-to-bottom-brackets-36660/

Written on the frame...86.5 integrated press fit.

It's the dirt/grit in the wheel dropouts that causes the creaking. The age of the wheels is irrelevant. Besides, cleaning the dropouts won't do any harm.

GCN has a video on this:

https://youtu.be/rC8o0KpekLc

Creak consistent with turning the pedals...

Creak consistent with turning the pedals...

Step 4 ;)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

This has happened me before. 3 bottom brackets later I found out it was the crank. My first step would be to clean and grease the screws and area between the 2 front chainrings attaching them to the crank.

Time for a new bike....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

My Zondas are 6 months old and i've fitted a new groupset,changed pedals,checked bolts.
    Last week after changing the BB for the 3rd time in 4 months and it was still creaking i took the front wheel out and put it on the opposite way(QR on the wrong side) and it stopped making noize.
    So now i've washed the dropouts and greased them and fingers crossed its ok or else i'm just turning my music up full blast.

My Zondas are 6 months old and i've fitted a new groupset,changed pedals,checked bolts.
    Last week after changing the BB for the 3rd time in 4 months and it was still creaking i took the front wheel out and put it on the opposite way(QR on the wrong side) and it stopped making noize.
    So now i've washed the dropouts and greased them and fingers crossed its ok or else i'm just turning my music up full blast.

:eek: Ive zondas too...
    Not that I doubt 07Lapierre....:p

I also had a creaking noise that i couldn't diagnose. the rear wheel had some side/lateral movement, so i replaced the wheel bearings. While I was at it i replaced the front wheel bearings. I then cleaned the dropouts, re-greased the pedal treads, did a tightness check on all bols, regreased the seat post etc.creaking was still there!

Finally solved it by removing the rear cassette and apply some 3in1 oil to the freehub body!

So now i consider myself an expert creak/squeak detective! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ximo

Totally agree with 07Lapierre. Noises in a bike always seem to come from the bottom bracket.
    In my bikes so far I found the creaking in pedals, rear wheel and seat post. But never on the bottom bracket although I was 100% convinced it was coming from there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Is it hard to change the BB on a trek road bike?

Bike is 10 years old with basic shimano parts

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ximo

I have a 13 years old carbon Trek that has the standard BSA BB, i.e. English threaded. It only requires the tool that fits the splines on the BB, and, of course, the tools to disassemble the cranks.
    It's a fairly easy operation if you have the right tools :)

All you need to know:

https://youtu.be/BPX8Hv3Pjk0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

steamsey wrote: »
    That's your bottom bracket. Had same thing myself. Give away is that the noise goes away when it gets wet.......

'never knew that. Why does the wet stop the creaking noise?

'never knew that. Why does the wet stop the creaking noise?

Water acts as a lubricant. Most creaks/squeaks are much more noticeable when it's dry.

Cycled up Ticknock with a lad I just met enroute this evening....he was in agreement on the bottom bracket diagnosis....
    Noise got worse as I stood out of the pedals going up hill after giving everything a tighten pre spin..
    Its that bad it did my head in from start to finish so its time to get the hands dirty...will report back.

I presume there will be a drag in the bearings to tell me they are shagged or nlt as the case may be...

Dropped into the experts...(very impressed with the workmanship my faith is restored)
    Bottom bracket completely F*%ked...rusted and the frame was holding water so made the problem worse...(will throw up photos later)
    Back wheel bearing gone as well so back to shop for warranty on that...
    Front head bearings in need of replacement but have to be ordered in...
    Back to Ticknock for test spin last night so all went very quiet one or two creaks but nothing like the flock of parrotts I had with me Tuesday night.:D:D

Bike just over two years old plus I have a winter bike (used for December through to end of Feb/March)

Dropped into the experts...(very impressed with the workmanship my faith is restored)
    Bottom bracket completely F*%ked...rusted and the frame was holding water so made the problem worse...(will throw up photos later)
    Back wheel bearing gone as well so back to shop for warranty on that...
    Front head bearings in need of replacement but have to be ordered in...
    Back to Ticknock for test spin last night so all went very quiet one or two creaks but nothing like the flock of parrotts I had with me Tuesday night.:D:D

Bike just over two years old plus I have a winter bike (used for December through to end of Feb/March)

Well, at least the pedals are ok! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Hold on a minute there. You are trying to say that a noise that seemed to be coming from the bottom bracket was, in fact, in particular, and in actuality coming from a fault in the bottom bracket???

This is a game-changer. I don't think we've ever seen this before. It is *always* something else that's making the noise. I'm going to have to go and rethink *everything* I know about the universe. I never thought we'd see this day.

The world has changed.

father-ted-2.jpg

check_six wrote: »
    Hold on a minute there. You are trying to say that a noise that seemed to be coming from the bottom bracket was, in fact, in particular, and in actuality coming from a fault in the bottom bracket???

This is a game-changer. I don't think we've ever seen this before. It is *always* something else that's making the noise. I'm going to have to go and rethink *everything* I know about the universe. I never thought we'd see this day.

The world has changed.

To be fair..it seems the noise was the BB, the wheels and the Headset! ;)

Advertisement