Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Wilson Galway/Dublin (call it a day Brian)

Options
  • 24-07-2017 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

I'm a big Beach Boys/Brian Wilson fan and so I was at Brian Wilson at Galway arts festival Sunday and I have to see I was disappointed at it. Brian had to be led out to the piano by the hand slowly looking very frail and once at the piano seemed to look distantly out at the audience with indifference, he seemed forlorn/bored. With a backing band of 10 men Brian was easily carried and he only sang a few words to some songs with someone else abruptly taking over (Matt Jardine usually). The band were competent and the sound good (despite the simpletons beside me incessantly talking throughout).

Most songs sounded good and vibrant however some songs were poor, my favourite song off Pet Sounds it I wasn't made for these times was lethargic and off key and Brian's singing was weak and off key for most of the night (what little singing he did).

Don't get me wrong I wasn't expecting cartwheels and somersaults from the man at 75 but he seemed lost on stage, you could have removed him at any point in the show and the sound change would have been tiny such was the little contribution he had.

I understand this seeing a legend/music icon thing but I really think its silly. I mean when you can't preform/stop preforming.

Muhammad Ali was a legend but who would have wanted to see him fight at 70?.

Why is it different for musicians?. Seems many would pay to see a guy wheeled in on a hospital bed tied up to numerous machines and tubes just to say they seen a musical icon.

Sad to say but Brian should call it a day, his heart and his body is not up to it anymore. This touring Beach Boys tribute band with Brian looking bored behind a grand piano trying to recapture the magic of early Beach Boys is noble but frankly a money grab.

I felt as disappointed as he looked and the vibrance and youth of early Beach Boys wasn't evident in the man as he looked bored/disinterested most of the night.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Your post is dripping with irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Pelvis wrote: »
    Your post is dripping with irony.

Awwww I wanted it dripping with ectoplasm. ;)

Anyway, CALL IT A DAY BRIAN. Sad to see a musical icon so clearly phoning it in not in the best of health

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

Awwww I wanted it dripping with ectoplasm. ;)

Anyway, CALL IT A DAY BRIAN. Sad to see a musical icon so clearly phoning it in not in the best of health

I watched a TV special of a European gig recently where all of his vocals were replaced (painfully obviously so) with a recording from about 15 years ago. And that in itself was pretty rough. It just misses the point of a live performance. He is in a pretty bad way when it comes to performance, playing and singing. You're right, he should call time on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

phonypony wrote: »
    I watched a TV special of a European gig recently where all of his vocals were replaced (painfully obviously so) with a recording from about 15 years ago. And that in itself was pretty rough. It just misses the point of a live performance. He is in a pretty bad way when it comes to performance, playing and singing. You're right, he should call time on it.

I saw him at electric picnic about 7-8 years ago and he was almost catatonic on stage. The band in fairness to them kept the energy levels up and did almost all the signing and 99percent of the playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭emo72

Is it a form of torture, does he want to be there, or is he being forced into doing it? Remember when Landy controlled him? If he can't perform, and we know he can't, why is he there?

• Advertisement

emo72 wrote: »
    Is it a form of torture, does he want to be there, or is he being forced into doing it? Remember when Landy controlled him? If he can't perform, and we know he can't, why is he there?

Presumably enters into fairly onerous contracts to perform? He has a fairly young wife and young children also I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

His wife is 70, though there are a gaggle of adopted kids, so maybe getting Brian out of the house is the rationale for the seemingly incessant touring.

I saw him play Dublin with the first Pet Sounds tour in 2001 & his vocals were very decent - actually met him after the show and had a quick chat - though I think I was on his deaf side!

Saw him at the Paradiso in Amsterdam a couple of years back & it was apparent then, that the band were covering parts he'd delivered himself just a few years previously. Even back in the early 2000's, there were nights where he was clearly ill at ease & tbh, I've been surprised at the level of touring he's undertaken these past few years.

On a tangential note, the new release 'Sunshine Tomorrow / 1967', featuring lots of alternate takes & remasters from Wild Honey & Smiley Smile is astoundingly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

10 years ago Wilson was like this... Not sure if you were expecting him to have improved since. If people will pay to see him... Chances are promoters will continue to put concerts on.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

That's too bad. I'm for Dublin tonight so it doesn't bode well though last time I saw him in Cork at the Marquee it was a bit like how you describe it. Still, I found it hard to resist the pull again of hearing Pet Sounds live.

That original "comeback" Pet Sounds gig at The Point back in the day was amazing but, in fairness, it was clear even then that Brian was a damaged guy. That said, most people kinda expected that, given his back story, and just seeing him back making music with a fantastic band was a major thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ah the old "pack it in you're not the same man" Like Dylan, both should've packed it in in the late 60s then. Macca too.

Sounds good to me! Roll on tonight. Band are fantastic.

Remember, Brian didn't sing a lot of the tunes originally so him not singing them now shouldn't be a surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Madam Oblong

If you're wondering why he's still going - money. I don't mean that in a disparaging way. Because we all now have an expectation of instant, free music there's no such thing as music sales anymore. Touring and music licensing is about the only way for musicians to make a living, even established ones. Don't bitch about musicians being too past it to play, if the only music you pay for is via your Spotify premium (addressing that generally, not just the OP).

If you're wondering why he's still going - money. I don't mean that in a disparaging way. Because we all now have an expectation of instant, free music there's no such thing as music sales anymore. Touring and music licensing is about the only way for musicians to make a living, even established ones. Don't bitch about musicians being too past it to play, if the only music you pay for is via your Spotify premium (addressing that generally, not just the OP).

You'd think he'd have have his money made by now?. I mean Beach Boys is one of the most well recognised and biggest selling American acts ever. I mean even cleaners can retire and live on a pension surely one of the biggest names in Music ever has made enough dough to live comfortably despite all the hustlers that came his way.

Anyway

He seemed uncomfortable and unable up there to me that's why sadly I think the show is looooong past it's see by date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The google machine tells me Brian Wilson is worth $75 million. Even if he never sold another record in his life, his royalties from his songs being used in ads, TV and films must be pretty hefty. He doesn't need the money.

The google machine tells me Brian Wilson is worth $75 million. Even if he never sold another record in his life, his royalties from his songs being used in ads, TV and films must be pretty hefty. He doesn't need the money.

Thats why I doubt its for the money as another poster suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭jimosterberg

I've seen Brian a few times and always loved the gigs. Sure he'd probably be lost without the band but seeing one of the greatest of all time perform with a great band has always been a thrill for me. Hopefully tonight will be as enjoyable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Fran1979

I saw him a few weeks back at the Bilbao BBK and thought it was a little sad actually. He did seem lost on stage but I guess his age has to be a factor. He said a few words between songs but more often than not just sat there looking up at the sky. The band though were great and the other members singing was fine. I watched about half the set and then wandered over to another stage. I was never a fan of the Beach Boys but I appreciate the songs he wrote. This has to be his final tour as I can`t see how he can keep going. It reminded me of when James Brown played Oxegen in one of the tents all those years back and how he would come on for a few minutes and then be gone for a lot of the set.

Thats why I doubt its for the money as another poster suggested.

Didn't his father go behind his back and sell the band's royalties for a paltry sum in the late 60s

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭patob

Just back from Bord Gais. Atmosphere was great and lived up to expectations for me. Brian sang more than I was led to believe from comments here. Matt Jardine came in for Brian seamlessly for the falsetto stuff. The band were as tight and note perfect as I expected. Pet Sounds was pretty spot on, bicycle bells and all. Not a fan of the Blondie Chaplin guitar solos. The last section with some of the early hits went down a storm, Al Jardine in great form. One off the bucket list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Kind of glad i read the reviews in here. It prepared me for the worst and it was a lot better.

With the exception of Wouldn't it Be Nice, Pet Sounds was strong. There were great songs throughout the night. The musicianship throughout was excellent. The Jardines were fantastic.

I hope Brian enjoys his retirement whenever it comes. I dont regret the money i spent last night. The little tear in my eye for the opening notes of God Only Knows was a first at a gig and made it all worthwhile

Yeah, really enjoyed it. The way the OP was going on, I half expected a bewildered Brian to emerge in his pyjamas with a care assistant trying to get him back into bed.

There were definitely some songs that he struggled with but others suited his voice much better and he nailed them. He seemed happy to be there and he played two hours so more power to him.

Al Jardine hasn't aged at all, his voice still sounds great. Matt Jardine was great on the higher harmonies but not sure he has the range, thought he struggled with the ups and downs of Don't Worry Baby.

Overall the rest of the band were brilliant, fantastic musicians and vocalists but not taking themselves too seriously. Blondie Chapman was musically great but thought he hogged the limelight a bit, long guitar solos were never really a feature of the BBs.

I'm sure there's a lot of nostalgia at play here, but I thought it was a brilliant show. The BGE was just about the right size too and the crowd seemed to love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭paulie13

As others have said, was apprehensive about this in light of the negative initial posts, but it was fantastic. All the musicians were fantastic (all of them multi-instrumentalists by the looks of it).

Agree that Blondie Chapman hogged the limelight a bit when he was on (did he really need to play the tambourine like that :)), but at least he wasn't on stage full-time.

Brian Wilson seemed compos mentis throughout, even talking between some of the songs. I've been to a lot of gigs over the years, and this was the first one where I felt like I was witnessing a piece of history.

The programme that was on sale is a fantastic keepsake as well, a cut above the usual tat - so, so glad I went to this gig.

4th time I've seen Brian and maybe the most together hes been which was great. Certainly more than The Point when he said "this is about my brother Carl so nobody laugh". Err ok....

In My Room and You Still Believe in Me were standouts. Got shivers a couple of times.

Absolutely no need for Blondie Chaplin though. None. But a great gig overall. Al Jardine a huge bonus. Still has the pipes, perfect.

36 tunes played.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brian-wilson/2017/bord-gais-energy-theatre-dublin-ireland-3be58434.html

The Nal wrote: »
    4th time I've seen Brian and maybe the most together hes been which was great. Certainly more than The Point when he said "this is about my brother Carl so nobody laugh". Err ok....

In My Room and You Still Believe in Me were standouts. Got shivers a couple of times.

Absolutely no need for Blondie Chaplin though. None. But a great gig overall. Al Jardine a huge bonus. Still has the pipes, perfect.

36 tunes played.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brian-wilson/2017/bord-gais-energy-theatre-dublin-ireland-3be58434.html
    Spot on. I was prepared for the worst but that's probably the most engaged (and engaging) I've seen him in the fives times I've had the pleasure.

OK, some tunes (and parts of others) are a bit beyond him now but the point is they're his tunes and the band carry them superbly. There can hardly be many bands like that around. All pure genius.

Al Jardin was great, as ever. Yeah, Blondie probably could have been dispensed with but it was good to get Sail On Sailor.

The early double hit of In My Room and Surfer Girl was beautiful and the whole first set was great before we even got to Pet Sounds. Yeah, some of those songs in particular are beyond him but he gave it his all and the standing ovation for God Only Knows spoke for itself. Think I may have had something in my eye at that point...

Great closing set as well and the crowd lapped it up. Just great to be in the man's presence and wonderful entertainment.

The programme sounds good. Pity I didn't pick one up but I got a nifty t-shirt.

mrk75 wrote: »
    the standing ovation for God Only Knows spoke for itself.

"Thank you, sit down"

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I loved every minute last night. It would have been hard not to have a good time at that show. Everyone up dancing at the end was amazing.

The original point I was making was without Brian on stage most of the songs would have been almost musically identical to him on it. Just seems like he looked bored/forlorn and contributed very little.

I know it goes against the grain to say it but to me he doesn't look happy on stage these days. Can't keep touring performers til they are at deaths door only to have huge bands fill in for the tired/elderly performer. Gets to the point where it's like looking at the whales in seaworld!.

Yes the music was good in Galway but then I wasn't there to see a Beach Boys tribute band, there to see Brian Wilson.

Actually I think Mike Love's Beach Boys is far better live.

The original point I was making was without Brian on stage most of the songs would have been almost musically identical to him on it. Just seems like he looked bored/forlorn and contributed very little.

I know it goes against the grain to say it but to me he doesn't look happy on stage these days. Can't keep touring performers til they are at deaths door only to have huge bands fill in for the tired/elderly performer. Gets to the point where it's like looking at the whales in seaworld!.

Yes the music was good in Galway but then I wasn't there to see a Beach Boys tribute band, there to see Brian Wilson.

Actually I think Mike Love's Beach Boys is far better live.

Yeah, see the difference is that the whales in Seaworld don't have a choice.

You were expecting too much, it's no secret that Brian Wilson hasn't aged well and that his voice has suffered. It's like the guy who wrote that letter to the Irish Times complaining that Bob Dylan didn't talk to the crowd or play guitar. Unrealistic expectations generally lead to disappointment.

I dunno, maybe the sound in the big top in Galway didn't work, and the BGE was a better venue for it?

Mike Love's Beach Boys might be better live, but they're more of a tribute act than what Brian Wilson is doing.

I think the difference is that Brian wrote the stuff and people generally do love him and kinda are paying tribute to his genius and to how he has pulled himself from the brink and got back to performing.

His mental health issues are well documented (the voices in his head, etc.) and probably account for much of the apparent lack of interest he displays. I don't think he's that debilitated that he would out there against his will. From his most recent memoir, he seems genuinely enthused by music - making it and performing it.

Plus, Mike Love's a douchebag.....:P

Are you thinking of the same Brian Wilson? The Beach Boys one? He didn't sing a lot of the songs in the first place so the current band is accurate enough. He probably sings more now than on the albums. Carl sang God Only Knows for example.

Regarding him playing live and people thinking its just for money or that he is being manipulated, he has bipolar schizoaffective disorder and still has auditory hallucinations. Nasty ones, saying hes going to die etc. But "when I get on stage all my troubles go away". He sang as well last night aged 75 as he did in 2002. Better even.

All of this adds to the poignantcy of the music for me. Its bittersweet. Those melodies couldn't have come from a man with a healthy mind. Symphonic insanity at times. Completely unique.

Although he does owe Chuck Berry a nod. But then again who doesn't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Mike Love is a gowl. Bri Wilson a beaut of a fella. No comparison.

Any gig you get to hear "Don't Worry Baby" performed tastefully is a classic in my book.

Advertisement