Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choices for girls secondary schools in Limerick

• 24-07-2017 4:50pm

Hi all, My dd (12) is going in to her final year in primary in Sept. We live in Corbally so the obvious choice for secondary school for her would be Ard Scoil Mhuire. Now I have heard some great changes have been made in the last few years since a young Principal (a past pupil herself) took over...My DD is quite, and I really don't want her lost in the crowd as I felt when I started secondary school many many years ago! I went to Salesians and hated it....She is fairly easy going about where she wants to go (once its not Irish speaking she says....) :( which rules out the Gael Cholaiste....a lot of her friends, she says, will be going to Ard Scoil Mhuire and so this would probably be her first choice, she is very easy going (too easy going!) in this regard though...The only other all girls school is Laurel hill but if I put that down as first choice she may not get it and then is left floating, with no secondary school...I hate this new system!:mad: I would prefer her to go to a mixed school but there are literally none in out catchment area (other than the Gael Scoil) and again if you go outside the catchment area the chances of them giving your child a place are virtually nil....so I'm back to Ard Scoil Mhuire...really I'm looking from feedback from other parents who have been in this situation, am I worrying too much? Should I just go with our local secondary school where, apparently, most of her friends will be going, a school that's reputation has greatly improved? Or do I take a chance and put a 'mixed school' like Castletroy College down or another all girls school such as Laurel Hill down and maybe end up with the only choice being to send her way out Co Limerick to go to Secondary school? I'm not looking for insults or to be slagged off here, just some good old fashioned advice...TIA :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

We've been in your position twice, we live in Corbally too, both our kids went to Scoil Ide, assume your daughter is also, we sent our eldest lad to Ard Scoil Ris, he had right of entry, most of his friends were heading to St Munchins but we wanted him to attend the school that he would get the most out of & they would get the most out of him not where his mates were going, it all worked out for the best, the advice we were given at the time was, don't let an 11/12 year old make this decision, input sure, but not the final decision

I'll send you a pm as regards Laurel Hill, we were in your position last year, our daughter starts in Laurel Hill this August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

We're in exactly the same dilemma but on the north side of the city. There is great choice for boys in the city but not for girls. Thomond College (St Nessan's) is physically closest to us but my preference is Laurel Hill also - we have no right of entry.

I'd appreciate any advice also naughtysmurf if you don't mind!!

Thanks NS I have PM'd you back

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stuckintipp

Both Corbally schools have improved beyond recognication over the past few years, mix of excellent managements and in the case of St Munchins the €10 million redevelopment. Are Scoil Mhuire is getting a new refurb very soon too.

A friend of mine who works in St Munchins said they had 160 applications for 100 places this year, almost 100% from scoil ide, parted and clonlara applied. I do not know the numbers with ASM.

Beware about right of entry, as you live in Corbally you will get into ASM, if you apply elsewhere, especially to a over subscribed school you risk not getting in, be very familiar with the entry criteria of all schools you consider. I know of plenty kids who take a gamble with a school outside their right of entry and do not get in and are stuck travelling to Croom or someplace similar that is undersubscribed

Thanks Stuckintipp, this is what I am afraid of! I have been eagerly watching both local secondary schools and I have seen a huge change in ASM especially, I went to the open night the last two years....90% of the girls from Scoil Ide last year choose ASM in comparison to even five years ago that is a huge increase, so yes things are looking good for them....I would just like to get more opinions and advice from people who are either in my position or have been and how they have gotten on! Especially parents who have sent their girls to ASM in the last couple of years....as I say, its is SIX years of my daughter's life....I want to be sure I make the right decision for her , thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

I would say to you the following - don't discount the Gaelscoil ( unless your preferred option is def St mary's) -
    Following reasons - proximity - your daughter will more than likely be able to walk or cycle to either, ( if not yet , certainly when older) a huge plus , esp when in leaving cert when they do after school study etc
    not sure if ye are both working, but if ye are , this is a bonus, as is the after school clubs etc at the Gaelcholaiste. remember if the gaelcholaiste move, its only to clare street, ( not sure will this be done by 5 yrs), although its in pre planning stage.

My neighbours children in Corbally attend both. One has mild autism and the assistance she got from Ardscoil was unbeatable.
    The other in Gaelcholaiste improved greatly academically during her time there ( she was somone who had little confidence in herself after a rough time at primary). Both run after school programmes, exctra curricular etc etc. My wife went to st Mary's (15 years ag) - and its transformed totally( for the better) in that period. I think in one sense you're lucky to have a handy enough( location ) choice of both - much better choices ( for girls) than in other parts of town.
    The plus of the gaelcholaiste is co-ed too - prob better ( in my opinion ) to give kids a more rounded view. Although they used to say girls do better ( academically) at single sex schools. Not sure if that's true.

Thanks Topcat, I would LOVE her to have an interest in the Gaelcholaiste, and we will attend the open night but tbh so far any mention of it and she physically shrinks away! DH and I both work so after school would be of great benefit....and having such a high level of Irish would be such an advantage leaving school....but I don't want pushing her into the deep end and have her feeling over whelmed either....I know children who have chosen to go there, because they liked Irish or because they were impressed with the school on the open night....however, my DD is not great at Irish and so it frightens her, the very thought of having to sit through every subject through Irish...as you can imagine...however, as I say, I won't rule it out just yet! Thanks again for your helpful comments!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I'd be concerned about the environment in Laurel Hill. It seems like there are significant social pressures there, more so than elsewhere. Every past pupil I know has spoken of how difficult it was and quite a few have had to deal with serious confidence issues, which they put down to the environment there. That said, secondary school is a traumatic experience for lots of people, and the situation in Laurel Hill may well have improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭emmaro

zulutango wrote: »
    I'd be concerned about the environment in Laurel Hill. It seems like there are significant social pressures there, more so than elsewhere. Every past pupil I know has spoken of how difficult it was and quite a few have had to deal with serious confidence issues, which they put down to the environment there. That said, secondary school is a traumatic experience for lots of people, and the situation in Laurel Hill may well have improved.

I went there for a few years and ended up changing to a different school after junior cert and had a much better experience. It may have changed since then though.

Thanks ladies,Emma was it the pressure to achieve high grades? That would be what I would be concerned about for my DD, she struggles with a couple of subjects as is and with her confidence....Is this what you were referring to also Zulutango?

Thanks again!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭emmaro

I found it too focused on grades and irrelevant rules that made no difference to student's education. I would have wanted a more holistic education. However, my sister attended the school at the same time and got on very well and enjoyed her time there - especially TY.

I have a lot of thinking to do and not a lot of time to do it....thanks all for your opinions :) much appreciated.

I'm not sure if I can 'bump' threads here but really would like some more views/comments/advice....TIA:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Slightly off topic but what's DD? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Ardscoil Mhuire although all girls, have over the past few years done some 'exchange' classes with St. Munchins. A good thing IMO.

I know St. Munchin's lads used the St. Mary's cookery rooms for cookery classes and the TYs do a joint musical.

'dearest daughter'

Do you know any parents of girls going to either LH or St Mary's that you can talk to & ask questions of?

I know a handful of girls currently attending LH, all different personalities & of mixed ability, some quiet, some extrovert some tomboyish, some really girly & some sporty but all fall into the category of what I would consider normal imo, I'm sure it's similar in St Mary's

Schools don't expect 100 identical robots to show up on day one, they know & expect a mix of personalities & types & are usually able to deal with it

Thanks for reply NS, I know that there will obviously be a mix of personalities in any school she attends....Its just that DD isn't very academic and I know from listening to other parents who have or have had DDs in LH that it prides itself on being a very academic school....They also emphasised this on their open night last year....its just finding the right school for my daughter that I am worried about....and I guess no matter what anyone says positively or negatively about any school it will ultimately be our decision what to put down as our Number 1 choice of school....I guess even if you chose a certain school and your child is not getting on well there is always the option of moving them after 1st year.....

You have to remember also, LH will only take 90 new students in 2018, a certain amount of these they have no choice with because they are sisters or daughters of current or previous students or staff, I don't know how many that will be but could easily be 30% or more, they all won't be acedemically gifted so the school will still have to bring them ALL along as best they can

From going through the Ard Scoil system, yes it's an school that emphasizes the acedemic side side of things but they didn't try to turn C students into A students if it wasn't possible but they will do their best to turn a C student into a B student & I found that the teachers shot from the hip at the parent teacher meetings & were honest about was achievable for our son

I'd imagine or at least hope that most good schools would be similar

Yes, this is another reason I am reluctant to put LH as choice No 1....as next year is the year they take less girls in and I really don't like the idea of begging them to take my child above another child....I have heard stories from Moms whose girls didn't get in and they had to send them out to Co Limerick schools in the end or keep ringing and ringing until they accepted them...Even the thought of that has me breaking out in hives:eek: I am hoping that come Sept once I have spoken with her school Principal and once I've done all the open nights again that we will have a much clearer idea of what is best for DD....Thanks again NS.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

Hi Ammers.
    My daughter is going into 6th year in ASM and I will happily recommend it. The ethos is extremely caring. The school population is diverse but all are included. There is good support from the parents association and they endeavour to keep costs low for all families. They engage the community with bingo nights and school fairs which are well supported.
    There is good and bad in every school. I would choose the school for how they will value my child, not just academics. Good luck whatever you decide.

Knit wit wrote: »
    Hi Ammers.
    My daughter is going into 6th year in ASM and I will happily recommend it. The ethos is extremely caring. The school population is diverse but all are included. There is good support from the parents association and they endeavour to keep costs low for all families. They engage the community with bingo nights and school fairs which are well supported.
    There is good and bad in every school. I would choose the school for how they will value my child, not just academics. Good luck whatever you decide.

This is so good to hear KW, thanks so much for posting :)

Thanks everyone, its coming to the time of year when all sixth class parents are getting prepared to go to secondary school open nights! I intend to go with an open mind to as many as I can and hopefully make the right decision....thanks to everyone who took the time out to reply to my post and good luck to all parents whose children are starting secondary school this year and indeed next year!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

Posted this on another thread too, open nights have commenced, hows everyone findingthem. LH last night students for next year 120, Lots of decisions in our hosehold to be made in coming weeks

Advertisement