Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Threshold: Landlords charging 2 month's rent deposit 'where they can't increase rent'

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

The problem with unfurnished is that there needs to be a nice chunk of the market both looking and letting.
    It's a chicken and egg situation. Not enough people want unfurnished so it's not there. But if there were a lot of unfurnished places on the market then people would find it easy to move from unfurnished to unfurnished.

Also there are rules that don't allow a landlord to actually let unfurnished anyway.

I have seen places let without a mattress more and more lately. A good thing in my view as tenants always would be happy with have their own mattress and tbh mattresses should only be used by the one person/couple and never recycled to another person.

Also a landlord will only buy the cheapest lowest quality mattress they can get anyway as it has to be thrown out after almost every tenant anyway.
    For some reason tenants take of the protector and then put it back on before they leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

TheDoc wrote: »
    It makes zero sense for anyone to buy unfurnished

Forgive me if this sounds patronizing, it's not the intention.

What you said is based on a limited view. You need to experience the other side for a couple of years before you can make a claim like that.

I'm originally from South Africa where 99% of property, Rentals or Buys, are unfurnished. The only houses for sale that may be furnished are the stupidly expensive houses. The houses with price tags sporting 7/8/9 digits.

For the hoi polloi, it's unfurnished all the way.

Having been in Eire now for 2 years, it frustrates me to no end that places are furnished. The pros of unfurnished far exceed the cons.

Are you afraid of buying furniture then 6 months later getting a great job in another country? Gratz on the new job! Sell your furniture, it's literally that simple. There will always be buyers for it.

Are you only staying in a place for 3 months? Fair enough, rough it out or buy something cheap.

Buying a furnished house is ridiculous in my opinion. Why the hell would you want someone else to style your house? It's your damn house! it must be styled to your tastes. The end.
    TheDoc wrote: »
    because most people need to be smart and forward thinking, appreciating they may not be in the same place long and anything can change.

If everyone thought like this then things would never get done. Why finish or do anything if something better could be just over the horizon. You could also find yourself waiting for that perfect horizon that is never coming...

It is always a risk we have to take. Some people get lucky and win. Some people lose everything.

Alternatively TheDoc, We could become a beach bum in Mexico :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

TheDoc wrote:
    Simple fact is its not, with RPZ's and the mindset of landlords, they now want to invest or front as little $$$ as possible over the lifetime of the asset, to them reap their return from it's sale decades down the line.

Welcome to business 101 to make money in any business you try to keep costs as low as possible and maximize your revenue. Private letting is a business. When I deal with my landlord I am perfectly aware I engaging with a business person and not a charity.

Why are landlords increasing deposits? primarily because they can and its a way for them to filter out prospective tenants. In the middle of the recession when landlords were struggling to fill houses they didn't have the luxury.

There should be some intermediary that holds deposits to deal with the issue of bad landlords who don't give deposits back. But at the same time given how long it can take to get someone out of a property two months is still quite low.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭utmbuilder

business is not all about making the most , the market is unstable now and stupid laws are coming in to hinder landlords due to such a shortage, guess what when the shortage is gone these stupid laws will be left with lower rents,

its in everyones interest to have a stable market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

There's a lot of reading into deposits they don't produce enough interest to be worth increasing and the RTB process is too robust to hold on to them without cause. Yes of course the reason it can be done is because of the market right now but the reason it's done hasn't changed, tenants have far too many rights in-regard to staying in a property despite the way they keep the property, anti-social behaviour or simply not paying the rent.

If the deposit rule came in with a 30 day turn around on evictions very few LL's would complain despite the damage that could be done to the apartment. If a 60 or 90 day turn around comes in (LOL) then it's perfectly reasonable to look for 60 or 90 days deposit or rent in advance. As I've said before though the fairest way IMHO is first and last months rent + security which is decoupled from the rent and is placed in a protection scheme.

While I understand some people's ire towards landlords, it does seem that many tenants and tenants groups want their cake and eat it too.

Advertisement