Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competitive Specialities in Medicine-How Long and how Competitive?

Options
  • 24-07-2017 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Basically Im considering sitting GAMSAT and studying grad medicine in the future with an interest in perhaps becoming a GP or a psychiatrist (this is just to do with personal experiences with people in those specialities, but I realise even if I do get the opportunity to study medicine I might discover I have a passion for some competley different unrelated speciality and might want to pursue a different direction al together eg become an endocrinologist, a urologist, work in the ICU, etc).

I know that all areas of medicine are competitive and take a loooooooong time to establish yourself somehow in them/manage to get into the training programmes, especially if going the grad entry route which basically means being in education for longer in comparrisson to your undergrad peers, but realistically how long does it take generally to become a psychiatrist, is it incredibly competitive in comparrison to other ares (eg surgery)? I'd just like to have bit more of an idea of what Im getting myself in for before I consign myself to the idea fully of doing medicine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 echolima

As far as I know this website has most of the basic information, doesn't have much about competitiveness but it has all the qualification paths, which should be of some help to give you a minimum timescale. Best of luck
    http://www.medicalcareers.ie/

Advertisement