Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 yr old pc

Options
  • 24-07-2017 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

A friend of mine has a 12 yr old pc with win xp on it.eir have given him the new top of the range router and have told him its not compatible with xp and wi fi won't work.wi fi worked with the old router no problem.
    All he wants is to be able to surf the net.in other words get wi fi working.plugging the router into pc isn't practical.
    What are his options ?help would be really appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Eir aren't exactly reliable to put it mildly.

What's the model of router?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I can't find any specific reference or reason to believe what Eir are claiming. The router supports 802.11b and g, plenty of those cards are around for WinXP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Imallrightjack

Spear wrote: »
    Eir aren't exactly reliable to put it mildly.

What's the model of router?

Its an eir f2000

I can't find any specific reference or reason to believe what Eir are claiming. The router supports 802.11b and g, plenty of those cards are around for WinXP.

So he needs a wi fi card?is there any need or advantage to installing win 7?

If it's 12 years old, the hardware is most likely too weak for Win7.

But he can probably use his pre-existing wifi card just fine.

• Advertisement

If it's 12 years old, the hardware is most likely too weak for Win7.

But he can probably use his pre-existing wifi card just fine.

Yes it worked before.i just thought the new router might be to high tech for the win xp os.

Yes it worked before.i just thought the new router might be to high tech for the win xp os.

It's still the same network standards and protocols, they haven't changed.

It's still the same network standards and protocols, they haven't changed.

Ok great ill go and have a look at it in person and see what i can do.Thankyou for your help.i wonder why eir said it wasn't compatible with xp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Ok great ill go and have a look at it in person and see what i can do.Thankyou for your help.i wonder why eir said it wasn't compatible with xp.

Because they haven't a clue! :rolleyes:

However, his machine is likely to be very exposed to nasties on the internet. If he has anything of value (photos, documents, etc.) on it, he should ensure he has a good backup, ideally on an external hard drive, that is only plugged into the PC when a backup is being taken with a second version stored off-site or up in the cloud somewhere (in case of fire/flood at his home).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Probably covering themselves for some holes in his OS alright.

Maybe his 12 year old pc has no wifi card?
    Maybe its a 802.11ac 5Ghz router but should be backwards compatible with 2.4Ghz and 802.11bg.
    Maybe his network card only supports WEP security instead of a more secure WPA2 PSK.

Lots of maybes.

• Advertisement

They claimed it was the router, rather than the wifi card. Maybe there's some small catch that's their grounds for this. But I'd expect that to have cropped up before, that router has been around for years, but there's nothing. Or it's just Eir being lazy and cheap and using this claim as an excuse to reduce their support coverage, or just their usual dishonesty and incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Can your friend use an Ethernet connection?
    Or buy a cheap wireless extender and plug that into the router?

chrismon wrote: »
    Can your friend use an Ethernet connection?
    Or buy a cheap wireless extender and plug that into the router?

Well its not practical to use an Ethernet connection.router and pc are far apart.as for the wireless extender ill suggest it .ill try and get wi fi working as is for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

A friend of mine has a 12 yr old pc with win xp on it.eir have given him the new top of the range router and have told him its not compatible with xp and wi fi won't work.wi fi worked with the old router no problem.
    All he wants is to be able to surf the net.in other words get wi fi working.plugging the router into pc isn't practical.
    What are his options ?help would be really appreciated thanks.

Try the new modem/router and if you fail to connect then replace the old one until you sort out a solution.

The new one does not HAVE to be used.

They sent me out a F1000 recently, but I won't be using it as it does not have functions that my old modem/router has, so it is of no practical use to me.
    I will continue to use my old device.

Try the new modem/router and if you fail to connect then replace the old one until you sort out a solution.

The new one does not HAVE to be used.

They sent me out a F1000 recently, but I won't be using it as it does not have functions that my old modem/router has, so it is of no practical use to me.
    I will continue to use my old device.

He told me when the guy delivered the new one he demanded to take the other one away for recycling.so using the old one isn't an option as he doesn't have it unfortunately.

He told me when the guy delivered the new one he demanded to take the other one away for recycling.so using the old one isn't an option as he doesn't have it unfortunately.

Ridiculous situation.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭-l-Z3k3-l-

To be honest...your buddy should not be using XP. Simple as that.
    And a 12yr old machine hasn't a hope of running 7 comfortably

Considering how insanely cheap it is to pick up an old Dell 780 or something similar with Win7 on it, I'd go this route
    He'll have a secured patched OS and a slightly faster machine for very little investment.

On XP hes opening himself to a myriad of problems

-l-Z3k3-l- wrote: »
    To be honest...your buddy should not be using XP. Simple as that.
    And a 12yr old machine hasn't a hope of running 7 comfortably

Considering how insanely cheap it is to pick up an old Dell 780 or something similar with Win7 on it, I'd go this route
    He'll have a secured patched OS and a slightly faster machine for very little investment.

On XP hes opening himself to a myriad of problems

No more than he had with the old router.

There are a lot of old eir routers knocking about for free ..... if the new one does not work (unlikely) then just get a replacement old one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

You could use a powerline adapter to get the ethernet connection closer to the router. Will work in any wall socket.
    https://powercity.ie/index.php?par=20-27-PA4010&action=moreinfo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

eddhorse wrote: »
    You could use a powerline adapter to get the ethernet connection closer to the router. Will work in any wall socket.
    https://powercity.ie/index.php?par=20-27-PA4010&action=moreinfo

Best suggestion so far I think.
    I find the 2.4GHz wifi on the F2000 just drops out *a lot*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As you probably know XP is no longer supported so no-one is going to bother with it.

See if you can install ubuntu alongside XP (dual boot) and get that to work.

Advertisement