Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Salthill questions

Options
  • 24-07-2017 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Two Salthill questions that someone might be able to help me with...

1. There's two sets of pedestrian lights in Lower Salthill, one at the Daybreak shop and one at the Maxol, but I've never seen them switched on. Anyone know the reason?

2. On the part of the prom behind the golf course, which now has a pedestrian and cycling path, all of the rocks on the shore side have been concreted over. Does anyone know why that's been done? It looks terrible compared to the lovely stones that used to be there, and I used to often go out there to sit and read, which is now not really possible because the concrete is comparatively really uncomfortable to sit on :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

The two sets of lights are fairly new. I presume they are part of a larger piece of work which has not been finished yet.

The concrete over the stones is to strengthen the storm barrier- that part of the wall was badly damaged in a storm last year and took a while to rebuild. (And probably risked flood damage to the golf course).

Others might have more detail.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

1. There's two sets of pedestrian lights in Lower Salthill, one at the Daybreak shop and one at the Maxol, but I've never seen them switched on. Anyone know the reason?

2. On the part of the prom behind the golf course, which now has a pedestrian and cycling path, all of the rocks on the shore side have been concreted over. Does anyone know why that's been done? It looks terrible compared to the lovely stones that used to be there, and I used to often go out there to sit and read, which is now not really possible because the concrete is comparatively really uncomfortable to sit on :D

1. No clue

2. Because the whole path got torn up by a storm on New Year's eve about 4 years back. The concreted boulders are effectively a sea-wall to protect the area (and more than likely the golf course). Agree it looks worse, but much easier to push a pram down!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I know the lights put in as traffic calming, but think they will stay off till schools are back, have a feeling I heard that somewhere.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭manualskeleton

Ahhh ok, increased storm protection makes sense, but it's a pity to have done it to the whole length of it - there used to be lovely spots to sit and look out on a lovely day :)

It'd beg the question though, if it's for storm protection, why not do it to the whole of the prom, along the road too? The rocks there are lower down than that section behind the golf course, surely it's even more exposed?

Edit: Aha. Just noticed the "more than likely the golf course" comment. Sad if true, it looks pretty ugly now compared to how it was before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

This concrete on top of the boulders is vandalism and a waste. It does nothing. For it to be effective it needs to be reinforced with steel. It was just thrown over the large boulders like confetti.

• Advertisement

This concrete on top of the boulders is vandalism and a waste. It does nothing. For it to be effective it needs to be reinforced with steel. It was just thrown over the large boulders like confetti.

Agree completely. Would you have any idea when it was done? Such a waste.

On the other question I had, those two sets of lights were on last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It's very easy to piss and moan and forget just how powerful that storm was and the damage it left behind. I had a flick through my phone and found some photos I took when I walked (what remained of) the path behind the golf club on the 1 Feb 14 last. They might give you some idea of why such a large sea wall is needed there now, it's not very pretty but definitely necessary.

Eb77FGUh.jpg

EPvQkiOh.jpg

Note the massive rocks thrown from the sea wall to beyond the fence, this was repeated all along the path;
    xP8nK3Vh.jpg

All of this area used to be pathway;
    ZkiDkBzh.jpg

eZFdvmjh.jpg

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    It's very easy to piss and moan and forget just how powerful that storm was and the damage it left behind. I had a flick through my phone and found some photos I took when I walked (what remained of) the path behind the golf club on the 1 Feb 14 last. They might give you some idea of why such a large sea wall is needed there now, it's not very pretty but definitely necessary.

Eb77FGUh.jpg

EPvQkiOh.jpg

Note the massive rocks thrown from the sea wall to beyond the fence, this was repeated all along the path;
    xP8nK3Vh.jpg

All of this area used to be pathway;
    ZkiDkBzh.jpg

eZFdvmjh.jpg

So where I used to go sitting had been effectively destroyed anyway :D I haven't been living here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Bredabe wrote: »
    I know the lights put in as traffic calming, but think they will stay off till schools are back, have a feeling I heard that somewhere.

Ligjts are working now.

Advertisement