Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Douglas Court Shopping Center

Options
  • 24-07-2017 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Very odd centre.

A vape shop has opened up near to where the bakery (that is closed) once was.

Deals has also opened up.

Very Very odd centre and a very odd atmosphere inside the store

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

What's odd about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Very odd centre.

A vape shop has opened up near to where the bakery (that is closed) once was.

Deals has also opened up.

Very Very odd centre and a very odd atmosphere inside the store

Very odd post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I would say that it is more dated than odd, it still looks almost exactly like it did in 1995. Dunnes keep the people coming in and the shops with a separate entrance; Costa, the offie, Cummins and Sam McCawley all seem to do ok too. It's the cafe in the centre, the euro shop, Easons and a few other stores around that area look like they belong to a separate era.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Would it be fair to say that Douglas Village SC is now the more superior centre now that they have international chains such as M&S, TK Maxx, Starbucks etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Maggiemay13

I have to go against the grain here and say I throughly enjoy wandering around Douglas court shopping centre. Ok so besides Dunnes, Sam McCauleys and a few others, the selection of shops may not be "out of this world", but there's a real sense of calm in the place. It's nowhere near as hustley bustley or manic as Douglas village shopping centre or nearby Mahon. I find it very relaxing. And you'll usually find most of what you need. Thumbs up from me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Is the bakery gone? Sad days.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

there's a real sense of calm in the place. It's nowhere near as hustley bustley or manic as Douglas village shopping centre or nearby Mahon.

None of that is a good thing for the shops in the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

razorblunt wrote: »
    Is the bakery gone? Sad days.

Bakery is gone about 2 or 3 months at this stage I'd reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭rob316

GavRedKing wrote: »

Crustys? They closed up shop in Blackpool too all of sudden a few months back. Both center's are under the same management company so I reckon there was a dispute over rent and they just said **** it. They were always up the walls in both centres.

Corkblowin wrote: »
    None of that is a good thing for the shops in the place.

Never said it was good for the place, I was simply responding the the OP who says there's a very very "odd atmosphere". I disagree. Now calm the body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭goochy

going by what the main street in Douglas is like these days - Douglas is not the retail or food mecca is should / could be - its a middle class area but both shopping centres are a bit tacky - assume its Mahonpoints fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

goochy wrote: »
    going by what the main street in Douglas is like these days - Douglas is not the retail or food mecca is should / could be - its a middle class area but both shopping centres are a bit tacky - assume its Mahonpoints fault.
    If anything there is too much food in Douglas; 3 Indian, 1 Thai, 2 Asian Street food, 2 Chinese, 1 McDonalds, 1 KFC, 2 Piri Piri, 5 pub foods, 4 Italian, 2 chippers, 1 Burrito bar, 4 Pizza places....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

When I first moved to Cork about 7 years ago, Douglas Village was pretty desolate - very few shops between Tesco and M&S. It seems to be doing a lot better these days, so not surprising that Douglas Court isn't doing as well. It barely makes sense for two shopping centres to exist in such close proximity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Much prefer Douglas Court myself also. Better selection and quality of shops and cafes IMHO.

4 Italians in Douglas? Marcellos and Palmento (pizza only so not what I would usually think of as an Italian restaurant..and yes I know pizza is Italian) are all I can think of. What am I forgetting?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Was down there recently for the first time in years -kip of a place

Define kip? Tis clean and well maintained so I am not sure how it can be considered a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

GavRedKing wrote: »

Ah I see, haven't been back home since Xmas.
    Shame, they always seemed busy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Ludo wrote: »
    Define kip? Tis clean and well maintained so I am not sure how it can be considered a kip.

Ya Im sure the lads do a good job cleaning the bogs and floors but its outdated and should be bulldozed

mean gene wrote: »
    Ya Im sure the lads do a good job cleaning the bogs and floors but its outdated and should be bulldozed

Outdated how though? In what sense? What is it missing? It looks the same as all the other shopping centres to me to be honest.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Just how two medium sized shopping centres were built in such close proximity to each other in Douglas and also around the same time smacks of atrocious/corrupt/non-existent planning to me.

There should only have been ONE centre built in Douglas, which could have been expanded to meet growing use. Usually in the case of one shopping centre being beside another, the more successful one will "cannibalise" the trade of the less successful one until the latter one closes down.

Douglas court is tired and dated and I'd say the only thing it has keeping it afloat is Dunnes. If they pull the plug, it's curtains for the centre.

• Advertisement

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Just how two medium sized shopping centres were built in such close proximity to each other in Douglas and also around the same time smacks of atrocious/corrupt/non-existent planning to me.

There should only have been ONE centre built in Douglas, which could have been expanded to meet growing use. Usually in the case of one shopping centre being beside another, the more successful one will "cannibalise" the trade of the less successful one until the latter one closes down.

Douglas court is tired and dated and I'd say the only thing it has keeping it afloat is Dunnes. If they pull the plug, it's curtains for the centre.

I really like Douglas Court but couldn't agree more about Dunnes. If Dunnes was to close shop it would be astalavista baby for sure. That would be very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

I much prefer Douglas Court and Dunnes to Douglas Village and Tesco. I hate the multi storey car park. Much quicker to park at Douglas Court and run in. Nice atmosphere, handy shops. The only thing better in Douglas Village is Quigleys. My favourite coffee shop in Douglas. Dunnes is a very busy shop and the staff are excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

I much prefer the feel of Douglas Court. I am sad to see the bakery go, and the fish shop be replaced with an e cigarette shop. I also don't understand why Vodafone closed. Whenever I passed, all three phone stores seemed busy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

DylanGLC wrote: »
    I much prefer the feel of Douglas Court. I am sad to see the bakery go, and the fish shop be replaced with an e cigarette shop. I also don't understand why Vodafone closed. Whenever I passed, all three phone stores seemed busy

Goods Fish Shop is still there. Another nice shop with very fresh fish and helpful staff. The new Vape shop is where the old pet shop was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

mean gene wrote: »

Ever been to Blackpool shopping centre?.... Douglas SC is far from a kip.. dated, yes.. but certainly not anywhere near a kip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

happyday wrote: »
    Goods Fish Shop is still there. Another nice shop with very fresh fish and helpful staff. The new Vape shop is where the old pet shop was.
    Sorry, that is the shop I meant :) In fish I meant pet fish (that's all I remember being in there bar toys for dogs and cats, and maybe food for them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jsms88

When we I was a kid, we used to go to Douglas Court every Sunday after mass. Parents would do the weekly 'big shop' and so on. Good times.

It was such a lively place back then. The biggest mistake they ever made there was filling in the Bewleys in the centre. That was such a centrepiece and the place was full of families and people shopping, etc.

I've been in there a few times in recent months but I usually end up leaving soon enough. I would agree that there's a strange atmosphere there. It's kind of like the eerie vibe of a deserted building.... Something that used to be much more than it is today. Even the motoring shop and bits and bobs and musiczone are gone.... and now the bakery. It's a pity really.

Motoring shop is still there. They're down by Sam McCauley's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jsms88

TheChizler wrote: »
    Motoring shop is still there. They're down by Sam McCauley's.

Ah good to hear. Always liked that spot.

• Advertisement

jsms88 wrote: »
    Ah good to hear. Always liked that spot.
    Fantastic service there.

Advertisement