Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hotspots....are they any good for gaming?

Options
  • 24-07-2017 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

thinking of getting broadband hotspot device for gaming, any experience of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

If you mean the dongles, it's basically like a phone connection, so I highly doubt it would be anywhere near stable enough for gaming; certainly not a shooter. Maybe if you could get 4G it would be better than 3G, but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Zillah wrote:
    If you mean the dongles, it's basically like a phone connection, so I highly doubt it would be anywhere near stable enough for gaming; certainly not a shooter. Maybe if you could get 4G it would be better than 3G, but who knows.

I mean the little wireless modems

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

4G would be okay. The download/upload speeds would be fast enough and in most cases the ping is good enough for playing games.

But they are usually more expensive and have lower data caps than a wired connection. If there is any fiber broadband via cable in your area get that as the wireless signal tends to be spotty in ireland. Your 4G modem might only pick up 3G or worse at your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I tried the mini 3 one.

Verdict : Shockingly sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm using a mixture of Vodafone's and Three's 4G hotspot on the phones. Ping is usually mid-20's to mid-30's. Speeds are more than enough, and i mainly play CoD online. So, coverage depending, they're grand!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I used my phone (Vodafone 4G) last friday playing overwatch. For approx 3 hours gaming I used about 1 Gig of data with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

I use a Mi-Fi hotspot with Vodafone that is just mobile broadband, no phone. Its adequate and my ping is quite low but you will never really do well in a shooter game like Call of Duty where the host has a big advantage.. Its not good enough for hosting a game though. Plus on a Saturday night all the people calling each other and sending pictures of their bits to each other make the network pretty bad for gaming. :p

Also beware of Data limits on Billpay, I almost got caught out downloading a 50 Gb game and breaking my allowance by 25 Gb, could have got me a bill for 700 euro :eek:or similar for downloading 1 game!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If it has 4G coverage, get a 3 Prepay SIM, €20 a month for unlimited data and it's good enough to even play CoD on, plus it really is unlimited. I downloaded about 200Gb one weekend, not a word said. Brother works there and said he's never even heard of someone being slowed or disconnected over usage...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

If it has 4G coverage, get a 3 Prepay SIM, €20 a month for unlimited data and it's good enough to even play CoD on, plus it really is unlimited. I downloaded about 200Gb one weekend, not a word said. Brother works there and said he's never even heard of someone being slowed or disconnected over usage...

ive just bought one and its going fine, much faster than what i had. i used to have a wired eircom connection and it would lag in online gaming and slow download speed, really outdated system. now it takes about a half hour to download a game (life is strange ep1)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

They are the same as any phone, So it depends on how good your mobile coverage is where you live,

• Advertisement
Advertisement