Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a Quiet Public Place

Options
  • 25-07-2017 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi!

I teach private English lessons and I was wondering if anyone knew of a quiet public place in the city centre area? I usually teach one to one in pubs or cafés here in Athlone but I'll be moving up to Dublin soon and was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere that was relatively quiet or peaceful where I could have a one-to-one class.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Isn't teaching a student in a café/pub a tad unprofessional, if you don't mind me saying? Plus you and your student would be expected to buy something while you're there.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I see one on one language lesson in cafes all the time - student and teacher never have a problem.

Fair play for explaining the concept of a cafe though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    I see one on one language lesson in cafes all the time - student and teacher never have a problem.

I do too, but I always assumed they were being done for free. I would be shocked if someone charged me for a lesson and held it in a cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I am sure you could use one of the many many Starbucks or similar coffee shops around Dublin.

Learning a language in a bar or a cafe makes sense for partial learning. It is the setting where you will more likely use the language you are learning, to order and to converse with people. Often in Ireland we have very anarchic ways of teaching language and imo it is a major reason why most people in Ireland do not have a second language or can even speak our own language conversationally.

Learning a language is more than sitting in a class room.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

spurious wrote: »
    I do too, but I always assumed they were being done for free. I would be shocked if someone charged me for a lesson and held it in a cafe.

Learnt Spanish back in the day in Spain via an exchange or "intercambio" - always held in a cafe or usually, the local pub. Learnt more useful Spanish in a few weeks than in 6+ years of sitting in the Spanish classroom in Secondary School. I wasn't paying for these lessons as the other person wanted to learn English - hence "intercambio"

Paying for it or not, if I had the choice between sitting in a classroom with a bunch of people, all at different levels, being taught by a teacher using a textbook / syllabus or one on one chats in a cafe / pub / park - I'd take the one on one every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,162 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Try to find a hotel with a nice reception lobby. Any of the larger city centres ones e.g. Camden Court, Davenport Hotel. You will find people using these for quick business meetings.

Or if it's during the day, a spacious pub like The Duke would be quiet enough.
    Could be a lot of background noise in most pubs in the evening which could be an issue for you.

Obviously you'll have to be buying coffees etc!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Some hotels are odd if you are sitting there and it looks like you are not a guest or customer. I was an hour early for an interview once so I ordered a coffee. I then sat in the lobby for another 45 minutes after the finished coffee was taken away and the on duty manager asked me about 3 times whether he could help me.  I said I was fine but felt like he wanted me to leave if I wasn't ordering anything. The interview was in an office building next door so I didn't want to wait there too early. I was all suited and booted so I don't think I looked dodgy.  Coincidentally, it was the Davenport hotel mentioned in the post above!! :-)

OP, I suggest the CHQ building just up from the Custom House. It's mainly a foodcourt with 100s of seats but if you use it between 9am and noon or after 2pm and sit in a quiet area facing towards the river, it can be quite relaxing and noise free.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭flowerbattle

Thanks a million for all your advice guys!! I know it's unprofessional but I don't make enough to rent a classroom anywhere so what other choice do I have? Usually though I just buy a tea or a coffee for myself and the students don't really get anything unless they want to, so they don't feel obligated. My housemates in Dublin wouldn't be too fond of me always bringing back people for an hour or two, and in fairness it's not fair on them to turn the sitting room/kitchen into a classroom throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I do a lot of business meetings in the westin, either upstairs in the atrium or in the mint. Also the gresham does same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know at least one city centre school was charging 25 euro an hour for a room with a projector two years ago. I don't think that's excessive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I know at least one city centre school was charging 25 euro an hour for a room with a projector two years ago. I don't think that's excessive.

That's probably more than half of what he's charging. Why in the world would he go that route if there's somewhere he can use for free?

Easy Rod wrote:
    That's probably more than half of what he's charging. Why in the world would he go that route if there's somewhere he can use for free?

Professional standards mainly, but anyway the OP seems happy with a cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭flowerbattle

I charge €20 an hour so I'd only be making a loss by doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

If weather is nice some of the city center parks might be an option. Iveagh Gardens would be quiet.

Advertisement