Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Authority Housing on medical grounds

Options
  • 25-07-2017 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I have posted this in another thread but this thread may also be very helpful, I'm hoping.

I am applying to Local Authority Housing on Medical Grounds, I am aware that I need to get onto the waiting list before I can apply on Medical Grounds but I have already been to the DCC with my application, without my medical forms yet and the lady I dealt with, who was very abrupt, asked me if I have a bedroom, I said yes, she said well the answer is No. You're not eligible to be on the list.

I explained that due to my disability I cannot get up the stairs to my bedroom, she seemed completely uninterested in this fact, she just brushed it off and said, the answer is still no.

I was distraught.

I've written a huge personal letter to go along with it.

I am wondering..

Have any of you applied on Medical Grounds before?
    What did you include in your application?
    Did you include a long personal letter?

I am including a letter from my OT and one from my GP.

I recently met with a pain consultant and I have an appt with a psychiatrist soon. I asked my pain consultant for a letter but he has yet to get back to me, I'm sure the psychiatrist could help, too but I'm not sure as it's totally new.

Another lady on the other thread mentioned that she had an assessor out to her house. Has this happened to any of you? I wasn't aware that this was the norm but it could be very helpful if they could see my situation for themselves.

Any info would be hugely helpful!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Could depend on your condition ,or not actually been in need of social housing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm not an expert but AFAIK, medical grounds can get a social housing applicant prioritised on a separate waiting list but they don't in and of themselves qualify you to be on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,941 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you cannot get to it, then I would have thought the answer was "no, I do not have a bedroom".

Then if pressed for details, you could say "there's a room I used to use as one, but I cannot access it any longer. At the moment I'm sleeping in the living room".

I'm not certain, but I suspect that your personal letter counts for next to nothing, and may be a hinderance. What matters is the medical report and letter from your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bellz_x

Gatling wrote:
    Could depend on your condition ,or not actually been in need of social housing

I currently live in a council house but it doesn't meet my needs, it hasnt done for a long time now, that's the reason I'm applying for this.
    Sleepy wrote:
    I'm not an expert but AFAIK, medical grounds can get a social housing applicant prioritised on a separate waiting list but they don't in and of themselves qualify you to be on that list.

Yeah, that's what I was told too, I am not trying to get onto the regular housing list as a regular house wouldn't suit me at all, I can't use a stairs, etc.
    If you cannot get to it, then I would have thought the answer was "no, I do not have a bedroom".

Then if pressed for details, you could say "there's a room I used to use as one, but I cannot access it any longer. At the moment I'm sleeping in the living room".

I'm not certain, but I suspect that your personal letter counts for next to nothing, and may be a hinderance. What matters is the medical report and letter from your doctor.

Well, that's what I said to that girl, I said there is a bedroom in the house that I used to use but cannot get to it anymore. She was uninterested in that. All she heard was "I have a bedroom". I haven't slept in that bedroom for a long time.

My personal letter goes into detail about my condition, how it affects my daily life, how moving to a place for a person with disabilities would improve my quality of life.

Im waiting on the letters from the medical professionals, I'll be taking them in as soon as I have them all. I'm just worried and it's stressing me out a lot now, especially after how the girl was with me.

Have you looked into getting the house adapted to suit your requirements , the
    As far as the council concerned you have a roof over your head and your not at Risk of becoming homeless ,

Medical Grounds
    Priority status for Housing/Transfer may be given in cases of exceptional medical circumstances only if it
    relates to the applicant’s housing conditions and the accommodation is unsuitable by reason of the disability
    or illness. This priority may cover a particular type of accommodation and/or accommodation in a particular
    area. The City Council, in making lettings of dwellings where priority is claimed on medical grounds shall
    consider a recommendation from the appropriate designated member of the Medical Referee Panel appointed
    by the Council.
    Medical evidence will only be considered by a member of the Medical Referee Panel based on written
    information received from a Medical Doctor or a Medical Consultant. Explanatory and background material
    from Public Health Nurses, Social Workers, Occupational Therapists and other Health Professionals may
    accompany this evidence.
    Photocopies of previous submissions, letters from individuals who are not Doctors, illegible letters and letters
    relating purely to overcrowding will not be reviewed.
    Cases will not be reviewed unless there is significant change in the medical circumstances.

• Advertisement

I did look into having my house adapted but there is not enough room to move a bedroom downstairs, there's no room upstairs for a bathroom.
    It's a crappy situation but I've become more and more reliant on my wheelchair now, can't use a stairs at all, I can't even get in and out of my front garden alone as there are two steps from the door and then four steps out of the garden.

I wouldn't apply for this if I didn't absolutely need it. I love this house, I grew up here, I've spent my life here but it is not working for me. It doesn't fit my needs whatsoever now.

I would never apply for anything that someone else could need more than me, like the likes of adaptions to their homes, someone else might need that and that will suit them. I would rather they get that, than the DCC spending money to adapt my home, knowing full well that it won't help me, you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

bellz_x wrote: »
    I currently live in a council house but it doesn't meet my needs, it hasnt done for a long time now, that's the reason I'm applying for this.
    Are you a party to the tennancy or is the house in someone else's name e.g. your parents / partners?

If you're a party to the tenancy, you need to apply for a transfer (a separate waiting list) and once that application is in, get a letter from your doctor explaining your medical issues applied to the transfer application to get medical priority.

If you're not a party to the tenancy, you need to have your own circumstances (i.e. income etc) checked to see if you qualify for social housing and, if you do, join the ordinary waiting list and proceed from there.

A personal letter won't help your application in any way though if it were sent to some local represenatives rather than the council team themselves it might get you a more receptive audience with the housing dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

What's your medical condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Maybe you are approaching this the wrong way around, There are not for profit/ charity/ voluntary housing organisation that provide housing for people in your situation sometimes in conjunction with the local authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Not to hijack the thread but I have a related question. I know someone who has just been put in the housing list, they are also eligible for HAP. They received a letter saying they can also apply for housing based on medical grounds.

If they do how will that affect them, will they be prioritised on the list. Will they only be offered particular type of housing for disabled?

• Advertisement

It could all depends on the actual situation and type of disability or medical reasons to be prioritised,
    Not everyone who needs a property on medical grounds have a physical Disability so won't need specific disability housing

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I did look into having my house adapted but there is not enough room to move a bedroom downstairs, there's no room upstairs for a bathroom.
    It's a crappy situation but I've become more and more reliant on my wheelchair now, can't use a stairs at all, I can't even get in and out of my front garden alone as there are two steps from the door and then four steps out of the garden.

I wouldn't apply for this if I didn't absolutely need it. I love this house, I grew up here, I've spent my life here but it is not working for me. It doesn't fit my needs whatsoever now.

I would never apply for anything that someone else could need more than me, like the likes of adaptions to their homes, someone else might need that and that will suit them. I would rather they get that, than the DCC spending money to adapt my home, knowing full well that it won't help me, you know?

OP, would I be correct in assuming you own your own house?

If my assumption is correct, you could consider selling and buying something more suitable to your needs or look at applying for a grant to make the house accessible. You'd be amazed what can be done with the existing space and a reasonable architect.

Sleepy wrote:
    Are you a party to the tennancy or is the house in someone else's name e.g. your parents / partners?

The house is my parents, I'm not part of the tenancy at all, therefore not eligible for transfer
    physioman wrote:
    What's your medical condition?

I have a few, but the main being fibromyalgia and arthritis, I'm almost completely wheelchair bound now.
    mariaalice wrote:
    Maybe you are approaching this the wrong way around, There are not for profit/ charity/ voluntary housing organisation that provide housing for people in your situation sometimes in conjunction with the local authority.

Do you know any names? Maybe you could PM me, incase you're not allowed to mention names on the site? If you wouldn't mind :)

Graham wrote:
    OP, would I be correct in assuming you own your own house?

If my assumption is correct, you could consider selling and buying something more suitable to your needs or look at applying for a grant to make the house accessible. You'd be amazed what can be done with the existing space and a reasonable architect.

I don't own the house, nor do my parents. They've been renting our current house since my grandparents lived here, when it was built. Why they never bought it is beyond me!

Sleepy wrote:
    A personal letter won't help your application in any way though if it were sent to some local represenatives rather than the council team themselves it might get you a more receptive audience with the housing dept.

How could that help? Do you mean the likes of IWA or CIS?

The house is my parents, I'm not part of the tenancy at all, therefore not eligible for transfer

I have a few, but the main being fibromyalgia and arthritis, I'm almost completely wheelchair bound now.

Do you know any names? Maybe you could PM me, incase you're not allowed to mention names on the site? If you wouldn't mind :)

I will PM you some

Also would you not get in touch with the social worker in what ever local authority you live in and the public health nurse in your area.

The organisation who provided you with your wheelchair do they have a social worker or someone who could advocate for you.

Is there an organisation for the condition you have.

mariaalice wrote:
    I will PM you some

mariaalice wrote:
    Also would you not get in touch with the social worker in what ever local authority you live in.

Thank you!! Well I know there is a social worker in the DCC who will be looking into the case when I send in all the medical files. Do you mean in my area? Hmm, I possibly could. I'm in touch with someone from the National Advocacy Service and she didn't mention a local social worker. Do you think it's worth it?

Thank you!! Well I know there is a social worker in the DCC who will be looking into the case when I send in all the medical files. Do you mean in my area? Hmm, I possibly could. I'm in touch with someone from the National Advocacy Service and she didn't mention a local social worker. Do you think it's worth it?

Well it is a more logical way of approaching the issue that writing emotional letters to the housing department, The housing department are only going to deal with facts.

mariaalice wrote:
    Well it is a more logical way of approaching the issue that writing emotional letters to the housing department, The housing department are only going to deal with facts.

True. I'll get looking into that today!

• Advertisement

So, it's taken 6 weeks but I'm finally on the LAH list. My Medical forms have yet to be reviewed as they took a little longer to get there than expected but I'm on it. Saying that, I'm position 700+, 1000+, 1600+. So, quite far down the list but I'm currently at band 3.
    That has the possibility of changing if my medical assessment is successful.

Thank you guys for all your advice! Woop!

So, it's taken 6 weeks but I'm finally on the LAH list. My Medical forms have yet to be reviewed as they took a little longer to get there than expected but I'm on it. Saying that, I'm position 700+, 1000+, 1600+. So, quite far down the list but I'm currently at band 3.

Thank you guys for all your advice! Woop!

Good to hear ,it looks like your in for a very long wait though but at least your on the list

Gatling wrote:
    Good to hear ,it looks like your in for a very long wait though but at least your on the list

Thank you! Absolutely, which I completely understand but I'm on it which is awesome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Bellz_x if you are over 18 and have an income you need to be included in the rent assessment, do you may aswell go on the tenancy.

myshirt wrote:
    Bellz_x if you are over 18 and have an income you need to be included in the rent assessment, do you may aswell go on the tenancy.

I am over 18 but I'm physically disabled. Therefore can't work at the minute although I am working on building my strength back up so I can get back to work and hopefully afford my own place. I'd give anything for that.
    I am included in the rent assessment in my parents house at the minute but dcc is fully aware of my situation.
    Would it be worth my while putting my name on the tenancy? Would they even accept me?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,941 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Would it be worth my while putting my name on the tenancy? Would they even accept me?

I don't know what the policy would be, but it's worth asking, provided your parents agree.

Would only be of benefit to you if (God forbid) anything happened to your parents. If you're not on the tenancy, and they don't need it any more (eg both deceases or and need nursing home care), then you would have to leave. Whereas if you are on it, then you have a right to rent the house for as long as you want it (and meet the other conditions).

I don't know what the policy would be, but it's worth asking, provided your parents agree. Would only be of benefit to you if (God forbid) anything happened to your parents. If you're not on the tenancy, and they don't need it any more (eg both deceases or and need nursing home care), then you would have to leave. Whereas if you are on it, then you have a right to rent the house for as long as you want it (and meet the other conditions).

Ahhhhh, makes sense. I will have a chat with them and see what they think.
    Would it make a difference to my application on LAH?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I'm thrilled for you! I am currently trying to help a friend in a similar position. Can you tell me about the bands? I havent heard about that before.
    I don't know what the policy would be, but it's worth asking, provided your parents agree.

Would only be of benefit to you if (God forbid) anything happened to your parents. If you're not on the tenancy, and they don't need it any more (eg both deceases or and need nursing home care), then you would have to leave. Whereas if you are on it, then you have a right to rent the house for as long as you want it (and meet the other conditions).
    Ahhhhh, makes sense. I will have a chat with them and see what they think.
    Would it make a difference to my application on LAH?

Definitely do this, you would get rights passed on that way.

I'm thrilled for you! I am currently trying to help a friend in a similar position. Can you tell me about the bands? I havent heard about that before.

The three bands used to decide housing priority are ,

Band 1- all priority

Band 2- those in overcrowding cases and previously awarded welfare or medical points .

Band 3- standard band for all other or standard applications

Within each of the three Bands , there may be households who have specific accommodation requirements

which will need to be identified.

 Dublin City Council tenants displaced by fire and flood
     Applicants requiring specifically adapted units e.g.wheelchair accessible accommodation
     De-tenanting (where Dublin City Council tenants are required to move out of their home to allow
    major works to be carried). Such status will not apply to Voluntary Housing Association tenants
     Temporary Transfer where the property is in serious disrepair. Such status will not apply to
    Voluntary Housing Association tenants.
     Older person surrendering larger accommodation
     Tenant Under-occupying their existing Dublin City Council tenancy
     RAS tenants who need a transfer through no fault of their own as a result of Lease expiry or non-
    renewal of contract by the landlord
     Households who in the opinion of the Local Authority have a reasonable requirement for alternative
    accommodation.
    Changing Bands in the Housing and Transfer lists
    There will be occasions where a significant change in circumstances, such as the birth of another child or

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Thanks so much for that - am "working" with Bray Co co, who are down to THREE staff (per https://www.independent.ie/regionals/braypeople/news/staff-in-district-office-greatly-depleted-since-town-council-changes-35452129.html) so feeling a bit un-optimistic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement