Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Authority Housing on medical grounds

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Thanks so much for that - am "working" with Bray Co co, who are down to THREE staff (per https://www.independent.ie/regionals/braypeople/news/staff-in-district-office-greatly-depleted-since-town-council-changes-35452129.html) so feeling a bit un-optimistic.

Part of Bray is under Wicklow County Council and part is Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council. Make sure you're dealing with the right council

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

We are, thanks. Sadly it's definitely the understaffed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We are, thanks. Sadly it's definitely the understaffed one.

Are you trying to get someone on the list or just trying to get meditation priority

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭fantastic98

If you cannot get to it, then I would have thought the answer was "no, I do not have a bedroom".

Then if pressed for details, you could say "there's a room I used to use as one, but I cannot access it any longer. At the moment I'm sleeping in the living room".

I'm not certain, but I suspect that your personal letter counts for next to nothing, and may be a hinderance. What matters is the medical report and letter from your doctor.
    hi. I'm diabetic and recently (January 2018) updated my housing app with Galway city council and included a letter from my doctor regarding medical needs. it said consultant on the council form but I thought the docs letter would suffice. but a few days later, I received a letter from council asking me to obtain a letter from a consultant as a doctor's letter no longer is sufficient. on arriving at the diabetic clinic, I was informed that I might get the letter. on further questioning, the Secretary informed me that normally a letter is written and that she would phone me back. that was Thursday , it's Sunday now and no call yet. any help appreciated.

hi. I'm diabetic and recently (January 2018) updated my housing app with Galway city council and included a letter from my doctor regarding medical needs.

Are you already on the list ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Gatling wrote: »
    Are you trying to get someone on the list or just trying to get meditation priority

She's on the list since 2015, however her illness is completely debilitating and she needs significantly more support. She's wheelchair bound, so at the very least I'd love to get her an apartment that's on the ground floor, rather than the bedroom she's in now (which is down hill on a path, to a door up a step, then up a flight of steps :eek:)

She's on the list since 2015, however her illness is completely debilitating and she needs significantly more support. She's wheelchair bound, so at the very least I'd love to get her an apartment that's on the ground floor, rather than the bedroom she's in now (which is down hill on a path, to a door up a step, then up a flight of steps :eek:)

Get as much medical documentary evidence to help but it might still be a very long wait ,
    It might also be worth getting a social worker involved and maybe a local TD ,
    But they could still be looking at a 10 year wait ,

Her social worker just changed. I dont want to go the TD route (and we shouldnt have to, right!?!?) but yeah, trying to just get the medical stuff together is a job!

Her social worker just changed. I dont want to go the TD route (and we shouldnt have to, right!?!?) but yeah, trying to just get the medical stuff together is a job!

I would be casting a net far and wide ,
    TDs can be known to get things moving I'd be calling your local TD and see what they can do to help ,
    It's actually part of their day job

So we got a **** ton of movement - council, social worker and a TD. They have a potential suitable place (they're checking) and can move her out. If this place doesnt work, she's *finally* been moved to top of list.

What should we ask for? I have a feeling this is a once in a lifetime engagement for my friend, we need to strike while the iron is hot. Whats reasonable to expect?

Like will they give her a bed? Will they have the place cleaned before she moves in? Would they help with logistics like moving? What else should we be thinking at this stage? any advice welcome.

• Advertisement

So we got a **** ton of movement - council, social worker and a TD. They have a potential suitable place (they're checking) and can move her out. If this place doesnt work, she's *finally* been moved to top of list.

What should we ask for? I have a feeling this is a once in a lifetime engagement for my friend, we need to strike while the iron is hot. Whats reasonable to expect?

Like will they give her a bed? Will they have the place cleaned before she moves in? Would they help with logistics like moving? What else should we be thinking at this stage? any advice welcome.

Almost forgot about this ,

Depending on who and whats being offered your friend will be entitled to some help from their CWO ( community welfare officer) they will be entitled to a exceptional needs payment to help with the cost of a bed ,white goods and possibly some flooring .
    As for moving they would have to sort it themselves for most part i believe local charities might be able to help ,
    Glad to see you got some movement

• Registered Users Posts: 25,941 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Most likely no, no and no.

If previous tenants have left any furniture there, the council will arrange for it to be removed.

CWO may be willing to given money for basic furniture and fittings (flooring, curtains).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Priestess101 please don't post the same post in multiple forums.

As you are already receiving useful replies to one of your other posts I'm going to close this one.

Best of luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement