Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade or wait

Options
  • 25-07-2017 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭

Quick query on upgrading.

I have an i5 4690k currently, is it work looking for an i7 replacement for the same socket or just make a break and go ryzen 1600/1700 or i7 7700k. (new boards and ram in either case and its probably going to be a circa 400-500 euro.
    Main purposes would be gaming, the i5 chugs along in Warhammer 4 and other similar games at times and maybe extra cores would help out there. Other games played, Witcher 3, settings need to be turned down a good bit, Fallout 4, chugs along at times with low fps. Also find WoW chugs along at time on that set up too, which is a pity. Latest Warhammer 3 game stuggles too unless I turn settings down alot.

I am guilty of having other stuff open in the background like Chrome for a radio station which is bound to take up some of the CPU but most of the time I limit whats in the background.

CPU is OC to 4.6 atm and I game on a 1440p 144hz Free sync monitor which is kinda wasted in some games currently.
    GPU is a sapphire fury currently.

Would i be better splashing for a better GPU (1070 or 1080 if I can get a deal or wait for Vega).

Thanks in advance

Speccy
    Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    CPU
    09Intel Core i5 4690K @ 3.50GHz
    09Haswell 22nm Technology
    RAM
    0916.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard
    09Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z97X-Gaming 5 (SOCKET 0)=0928 =
    Graphics
    09BenQ XL2730Z (2560x1440@60Hz)
    09Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)
    94096MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 Fury Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)=0952
    Storage
    09223GB Crucial_CT240M500SSD1 (SSD)=0926 =C2=B0C
    09931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (SATA)=0929 =C2=B0C
    09447GB SanDisk Ultra II 480GB (SSD)=0925 =C2=B0C
    Optical Drives
    09TSSTcorp DVD-ROM SH-118AB
    Audio
    09AMD High Definition Audio Device

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Similar thread here recently. Upgrade to the i7 is about all you need here. The Fury is a good card, I don't think the 1070 is a major upgrade on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Similar thread here recently. Upgrade to the i7 is about all you need here. The Fury is a good card, I don't think the 1070 is a major upgrade on it.

The 1070 can beat the Fury by as much as 50% at 1080p/1440p
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-pascal-performance,4585-3.html

But it got hit by the crypto-currency fad so prices are €80+ above RRP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

That honestly really surprises me how massive some of those differences are :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The Fury was always more of a GTX980 competitor, the GTX1070 is a different league altogether.

At 1440p ultra, the Fury would be accounting for most/all of the chugging you're describing, your CPU at 4.6Ghz wouldn't be any real bottleneck to stable 60fps performance.

Can can get an i7-4770/4790/k which would be an improvement in some games (fallout, warhammer total war) but on the whole the Fury is the weak point at that resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Cool, thanks folks, I will keep an eye on Vega so to see if their 1070/1080 competitor is any good as it would be handy to keep the freesync to match the monitor but if its not will look at a 1070 or 1080.

The EVGA prices on their website seem quite good but will keep an eye on Geizhals as well. I tried to put a mock order on a card but it didnt work, maybe I need to use a PM address or something. Will see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

No way a pc like that should chug for old games. Your problem doesn't sound related to cpu. Sure you are actually using graphics card, not using on-board graphics instead?

srsly78 wrote: »
    No way a pc like that should chug for old games. Your problem doesn't sound related to cpu. Sure you are actually using graphics card, not using on-board graphics instead?

:)
    I did actually check this out one night just to be sure I hadnt plugged the DP cable into the wrong connection but no, im sure its the GPU its connected to.

I did wonder if it was trying to split the load between the igpu and the gpu so disabled the igpu to check. Oddly it switches back on by itself, not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I have a cpu older than that, and can still run all the latest stuff fine (i5-3570k, gtx1080,3440x1440@100hz). Am just concerned you will upgrade your cpu without fixing your underlying issue.

Go into bios and disable the onboard graphics, this will eliminate any possibility of interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Cavey

I'd go with:

Ryzen 1600
    ASRock AM4 Motherboard
    16GB DDR4-3200

Parts 394.30 + 29.99 UPS shipping = 424.29 total

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The biggest problem with Fury is the 4GB memory. A lot of games are using well over this on the highest settings. Going over your memory budget can lead to these kind of chugging problems as the cards memory constantly has to fetch and swap information with the system ram which is painfully slow.

Only a handful of games have gpu memory usage displays though. The main memory eaters are texture/material quality, potentially shadow quality (if it uses pre-baked static lighting), game resolution and AA.

I have an overclocked 970 which is a bit weaker and has less memory than the Fury and I get 60-100fps at 2560x1440 in most games with tweaked settings. Never any chugging or big noticeable frame drops.

Another possibility is that your cpu or gpu are overheating and automatically underclocking. Download HwiNfO64 and run sensors only while stressing the system in some game and check your max temps on the cpu and gpu.

• Advertisement

I think your bang on there with the vram idea.
    Temp wise the highest i bave seen the cpu hit is 70c and the gpu 85c. Since then i tweaked the gpu fan curve and normally dont hit more than mid 70c with it now.

Whats a fury worth do you reckon?

The Fury also isn't that fast a card, and in many games at 1440P high/ultra the framerate will either dip below, or not be able to even hit, 60fps - which can be constituted as 'chugging'.

It's also most definitely not the IGP....imagine trying to run The Witcher 3 or Fallout 4 at 1440P, I'd say you'd be lucky to hit 5fps!

There's not much to suggest there is anything wrong from a hardware point of view....

Fallout 4 - chugs even on i7's in some large urban areas due to the horrible game engine. R9 Fury is OK for this game at 1440p ultra in general, but CPU is always the issue in Fallout 4 no matter what you have you will get drops (I've an i7-7700 and get bad drops in the city)

Warhammer Total War/Dawn of War 3 - R9 Fury would definitely not be able to maintain 60fps at 1440p high/ultra. In case of Total War, it's a total CPU killer.

Witcher 3 - R9 Fury would not hold 60fps at 1440p high/ultra either, 1440p medium-high maybe would be best in this case.

Will check out Vega so for its new 1080 equivalent or see if I can get a 1070 or 1080 if there are price cuts due to Vega.

Its mad how many of the 1080's are not much more expensive than the 1070's currently due to the crypto craze.

Update on this.
    Sent my card back as it was acting oddly and got a full refund.
    So now, money in hand, what to buy.
    Given that I have a freesync monitor and Vega seems a bit underwhelming so far, the reference models in any case, is it worth waiting for the AIB cards and hoping pricing and stock levels improve or take a plunge and get a 1070 or 1080 and ignore the freesync part of my screen.
    Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

RX Vega 56 outperforms GTX 1070 & can outperform GTX 1080 if temps are kept in check (e.g. through undervolting & better cooling).

I'd suggest a pre-order if you can be patient.

If you need a card NOW, there's some GTX 980 Ti models on Adverts; similar performance to GTX 1070.

Having waited a month for the refund, will likely wait another few weeks for the AIB 56's and see how it goes. The reports of the noisy fan on the reference model is putting me off the 56 atm.

I cracked and went and preordered the 56 Sapphire model from OCUK.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Redfox25 wrote: »
    I cracked and went and preordered the 56 Sapphire model from OCUK.

Nice, but you were right to return that Fury as there was something wrong with it as it was stuttering as I have a Fury X and it does not stutter at 1440P.

Yep. Think so. It wasnt stuttering before and was a recent enough turn of events alright. Glad i got a refund just a pity it took so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ananas_

Don't get an i7 for gaming, it offers barely any performance for it's price and I myself have an i7-6700k and I regret spending the extra money for it. The i5s work just as well for multi-tasking as the i7s. In my opinion the i7 is strictly for professional use.

• Advertisement

Ananas_ wrote: »
    Don't get an i7 for gaming, it offers barely any performance for it's price and I myself have an i7-6700k and I regret spending the extra money for it. The i5s work just as well for multi-tasking as the i7s. In my opinion the i7 is strictly for professional use.

That is literally nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Any ideas when the waiting will end?

I'm on the lookout for a 1070 but not paying in excess of 380+

Damn miners! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Any ideas when the waiting will end?

I'm on the lookout for a 1070 but not paying in excess of 380+

Damn miners! :pac:

What card have you currently got? If it is have way decent then the wait wouldn't be too bad but if it is a budget card then I suppose the wait is harder.

Regarding when prices will come down who knows considering the RX Vega 56 is out and costs more retailers will not drop the price when they know it will still sell for a higher price.

Advertisement