Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Work pension scheme

• 25-07-2017 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I have been in the company pension scheme for less than 2 years and plan to leave it. I understand i can get my contributions back if i leave my job. 
    My question is can i get them back if i stay in the job?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You would have to leave to get the contributions back and there will be a deduction in lieu of the tax breaks you got.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 scotsman03

I plan to leave. Just not within the 2 years pension contributions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

It does depend on the rules of the scheme. My old company's scheme would only let me withdraw the money if I was over a certain age, otherwise it had to be transferred to another pension scheme or dedicated bank account (there are certain ones that are for pensions only). There is a question as to why you'd want them back while in the job. If you leave, fair enough to transfer them to a new company's scheme but otherwise all they'll do in the current is just continue on as normal. You can stop contributions at any point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

scotsman03 wrote: »
    I have been in the company pension scheme for less than 2 years and plan to leave it. I understand i can get my contributions back if i leave my job. 
    My question is can i get them back if i stay in the job?

Simple answer is no you must leave service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

slightly different but similiar, I am leaving my current position which has a defined benefit pension that i have been paying into for c18 years now. My new employer does not have a company pension scheme but does provide access to a PRSA. WHat happens to my existing pension? does it just sit there until i retire?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

TheShow wrote: »
    slightly different but similiar, I am leaving my current position which has a defined benefit pension that i have been paying into for c18 years now. My new employer does not have a company pension scheme but does provide access to a PRSA. WHat happens to my existing pension? does it just sit there until i retire?

Probably.

D.B. benefits will have a transfer value, but it's likely be unattractive.

Advertisement