Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zonda Freehub

Options
  • 25-07-2017 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

So my Zonda's are now about 7 months old and have only been used since Feb with about 2500 Km's on them.
    The freehub is starting to loosen up on the rear wheel and their is a small bit of play in the wheel.
    I took the wheel off at the weekend and cleanded the freehub,tightened up anything that could be tightened and put the cassette back on and it still the same.
    The bearings still seem to be running fine.
    It was bought from SCR in Dublin. Do they provide a warranty?

Also does anyone have the bearing size that the wheel takes and which compatible Shimano freehub i can get just incase i'm left to fork out for repairs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I'd have thought you would be covered under some form of warranty - 7mon/2500km is not a lot.

I had one where there was play in the freehub itself. I got a replacement bearing from dicksons in finglas for about a fiver - luckily it was the outer bearing that could be easily removed. The part number is in the bearing. Unfortunately by the time I had figured that out I has ordered a freehub from Slanecycles - a replacement was around £60.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

"A small bit of play" is not necessarily a fault. It may just need adjustment. Mavic wheels come with a plastic spanner to adjust the tension on the wheel bearings. Maybe Zondas are similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

07Lapierre wrote: »
    "A small bit of play" is not necessarily a fault. It may just need adjustment. Mavic wheels come with a plastic spanner to adjust the tension on the wheel bearings. Maybe Zondas are similar?

I'm not sure of any spanner but ill check when i get home. I might pop into the LBS on the way home and ask them to have a quick look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It's normally a feature of Zondas after about 10-15,000 kms in my experience. I've gone through several sets. Siroccos are the same.

Not usually financially viable to replace the freehub then as the rims will be worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I'm not sure of any spanner but ill check when i get home. I might pop into the LBS on the way home and ask them to have a quick look at it.

I think 07Lapierre is right - there should IIRC be a collar/adjustment ring on the nondrive side of the hub with a small (like 2.5mm) allen head bolt keeping it closed. If you open that and roatate it so that its finger tight against the hub and then close the bolt. HERE's the Campag doc on doing it.

• Advertisement

CheGuedara wrote: »
    I think 07Lapierre is right - there should IIRC be a collar/adjustment ring on the nondrive side of the hub with a small (like 2.5mm) allen head bolt keeping it closed. If you open that and roatate it so that its finger tight against the hub and then close the bolt. HERE's the Campag doc on doing it.

I know what you are talking about. Ill give it a try later.
    Cheers

It's normally a feature of Zondas after about 10-15,000 kms in my experience. I've gone through several sets. Siroccos are the same.

Not usually financially viable to replace the freehub then as the rims will be worn.

If i get 15000 out of the freehub ill be happy but it only has 2500 on it.

CheGuedara wrote: »

And it looks like we have a winner. I just hope I didn't tighten it too much but the play is gone and it seems to be rolling smooth. I had to adjust my brakes a bit when I put the wheel back on for some reason but I'm sure I'll know tomorrow if all is ok. I suppose if it works ok I can use that money I thought I was gonna have to spend on wheels for my other bike.

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Was talking to lad who fixed my bike he said he found a problem in my rear Zonda reckons a bearing is gone..
    Im in the same position as yourself Irishrover as in just bought them in March but never cycled that bike until April...
    After Sunday I will drop them back to where I bought them but going to call into them today to see what the official line is.

Let us know how you get on with regards to warranty and that. Might be useful in the future for me but since i've tightened up the cones on the rear wheel, they've been fine.
    Hopefully that's it with the issues as they are a good wheel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement