Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bidding on a property: Showing proof of funds to auctioneer

Options
  • 25-07-2017 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently bidding on a property. I'm a mortgaged bidder. The auctioneer asked for proof of funds so I send along my letter of Approval in Principle (from BOI). However, I blotted out the amount I'm approved for as I don't want the auctioneer to know that I can go higher than my initial bid. They have replied saying that they need to see that number in order to take my bid. I don't want to provide them with that as I'm bidding below the asking price. 

Therefore, what should I provide them with? Or, what's the normal process here?

Thanks,
    Con

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You can show them or say no. They can accept your bid or not. I'm afraid that's the game I'm afraid.

The other option is get a letter with the amount you're bidding on it and get another one if it goes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Hi all,

I'm currently bidding on a property. I'm a mortgaged bidder. The auctioneer asked for proof of funds so I send along my letter of Approval in Principle (from BOI). However, I blotted out the amount I'm approved for as I don't want the auctioneer to know that I can go higher than my initial bid. They have replied saying that they need to see that number in order to take my bid. I don't want to provide them with that as I'm bidding below the asking price. 

Therefore, what should I provide them with? Or, what's the normal process here?

Thanks,
    Con

A Letter from solicitor confirming adequate funds for bid but do not cite the actual number

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Richards1983

Thanks a lot Samuel and Browney -- really appreciate the insight.

Seems absolutely nuts to me to provide the auctioneer with your potential max bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Thanks a lot Samuel and Browney -- really appreciate the insight.

Seems absolutely nuts to me to provide the auctioneer with your potential max bid.

It just reinforces that you should set yourself a max on the house and stick to it. One of two things happen - there is an actual higher bid or they the higher bid disappears and they revert to you at which point you may have decided to come down 5 grand.

Again all part of the game I'm afraid.

Advertisement