Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property dilemma - advice needed

Options
  • 25-07-2017 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Apologies in advance if this is a rather stupid question, I'm not terribly savvy when it comes to this kind of thing.

Bought a 3 bed, end of terrace at height of boom in Dublin for €400K+. Very quickly afterwards, prices plummeted. Only silver lining was I'm on a tracker mortgage.

Present day, just coming out of neg equity and contemplating a move closer to home.

If we sell, we will most likely make little or no "profit" shall we say. We also walk away from a tracker mortgage and over 100K paid off the original mortgage.

I'm thinking the most sensible option would be to rent the house out and let whatever rental income comes our way pay off the mortgage while we concentrate on paying off the new mortgage if/when we move. Even if we kept it for ten years, at least we'd have some equity on the house.

I know there are "drawbacks" to being a landlord, however, my driver is not to make money on the rental income (but if I do then so be it) and would happy to have the mortgage covered. If in 10-20-30 years time we decide to sell it, we'd have something to help the kids out with when the time comes for them to get on the ladder.

We will never, ever get as good a mortgage as the tracker were on now and I feel sick knowing we would be walking away with virtually nothing should we sell.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,358 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm no expert in the area, but these thoughts immediately occurred to me.....

How much are your repayments, and how much might you expect to get in rent on the house? You'll be taxed on the rental income at your marginal rate (less expenses which are tax deductible and a certain amount of mortgage interest relief) so you'd want to make sure that you can afford it (including if interest rates rise, which I think is fairly inevitable in the near/medium term).

Your bank may not allow you to keep your tracker rate if you're no longer an owner-occupier. You may or may not wish to ask them about that.

Your may not get approval for another mortgage if you already have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Steptoe1970

Thanks for the response.

Mortgage at present is €1200 pm. Houses in the area are renting at €1800 pm.
    Good point on interest rates but I think the net rental income would cover interest rates to a certain point.

Need to check with bank on keeping tracker if we rent it out.

Mortgage approval looking positive at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Thanks for the response.

Mortgage at present is €1200 pm. Houses in the area are renting at €1800 pm.
    Good point on interest rates but I think the net rental income would cover interest rates to a certain point.

Keep in mind also that you will clear ~900 pm after being taxed on the rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

They won't let you, if you tell them

mloc123 wrote: »
    Keep in mind also that you will clear ~900 pm after being taxed on the rent?

Thanks for that - pardon my ignorance but would you mind breaking that down for me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Unfortunately the likelihood if keeping the tracker of you rent it out is 0.

I would rent it out myself, even if you averaged 10K a year over 10 years. That's 100K, I would definitely rent it.

sweetie wrote: »
    They won't let you, if you tell them

Seems our bank will allow us to keep the tracker if we rent it out, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

You will need to pay tax on your rental income at your marginal rate so probably 51%. You can reduce this tax bill by taking your costs into account so any letting fees, maintenance bills etc. You will also get some relief on the interest you pay on the mortgage.

The rent will never cover the mortgage so you will always feel that you are paying a mortgage for someone else to live in the house. This is without even considering that the bank will more than likely change you to a buy to let rate. The flip side is that your equity in the house will be growing so hopefully the value will increase further and the debt will reduce.

I was in the lucky position to have cleared the mortgage before buying a new house a few years ago. I thought it would be possible to hold on to the old house and rent it out but after 6 months of renting I was glad to be rid of it even though it was at the bottom of the market.

You may be able to sell this house and keep the tracker mortgage you have on to your next house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Seems our bank will allow us to keep the tracker if we rent it out, thankfully.

Do you have that in writing? I think it is extremely unlikely that the bank would adopt that approach, it may be an inexperienced person you were speaking with who misunderstands the situation.

Trackers are uneconomical - banks are losing money on every tracker mortgage in issue. They are not in the business of facilitating people to continue with their tracker unless they have to. The standard terms and conditions for a tracker mortgage (or indeed a non-tracker mortgage on your own place) prohibit you moving out.

Interest rates for Buy to let mortgages are higher than on PDH mortgages. They are seen as higher risk since people are more likely to default on a buy to let than on their home. Interest rates are set relative to the risk involved in the lending - which is why lower LTV loans attract better rates than higher LTV loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

Bought a 3 bed, end of terrace at height of boom in Dublin for €400K+.

If we sell, we will most likely make little or no "profit" shall we say.

We will never, ever get as good a mortgage as the tracker were on now and I feel sick knowing we would be walking away with virtually nothing should we sell.

What makes you think you're not buying in at or near the height of another boom? Fast forward a couple of years and who's to say you won't have another big mortgage on not one but two properties in negative equity...

You should be thinking worst case scenarios, as with any investment. The price of it can go up and down. It's not guaranteed to go up. If taking a loss makes you feel 'sick', then you need to question why you've made / are making the investment in the first place because it means your gut is telling you it was/is a bad idea.

If you can't stomach losses, you should be reducing risk as much as possible, therefore you should simply sell the current house. Whether its financially savvy or not will be determined in time and with hindsight as nobody can time the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

Unfortunately the likelihood if keeping the tracker of you rent it out is 0.

I would rent it out myself, even if you averaged 10K a year over 10 years. That's 100K, I would definitely rent it.

I don't agree with this on the tracker. We have a property rented without loosing our tracker and have a second mortgage from the same bank (BOI) with out any issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭goldsalmon33

I was in a similar position to yourself. Bought in 2006 and i had a good tracker in the city but wanted to move home.
    So i moved home. Rent covered the city mortgage and i got a new mortgage for home place. The bank allowed us to keep tracker mortgage on the city house even though i wasnt the occupier. Make sure to get that in writing from the bank though. I had to chase them a bit for it.

It was a bit scary owing the bank so much money but i know it's all repayable. Yes I'm an landlord which is a bit of a pain but getting the right tenants means a lot. You could also get a management company to manage it for around 10%.

The rent is considered a taxable income as well so consider that you might have a tax bill each year to pay.

I'm looking at that city house now as accommodation for the kids when/if college comes around.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Thanks for that - pardon my ignorance but would you mind breaking that down for me?

If you charge €1800 per month rent you will be taxed on

€1800 - (85% of your interest payments) - other allowable costs.

E.g.

€1800 rent
    -€500 (replace this figure with 85% of your monthly interest payments)
    -€200 other expenses e.g. repairs, managing agents fees etc (replace this figure with your estimated allowable expenses)
    =€1100 profit

You pay tax on the €1100 profit.
    E.g. @51% that would be €561 tax/month
    Leaving €539

If the capital part of your mortgage is more than the €539 left (in this example), you dip your hand into your own pocket.

On the plus side, you eventually own a mortgage free house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Graham wrote:
    €1800 rent -€500 (replace this figure with 85% of your monthly interest payments) -€200 other expenses e.g. repairs, managing agents fees etc (replace this figure with your estimated allowable expenses) =€1100 profit

Graham wrote:
    You pay tax on the €1100 profit. E.g. @51% that would be €561 tax/month Leaving €539

Graham wrote:
    If the capital part of your mortgage is more than the €539 left (in this example), you dip your hand into your own pocket.

Graham wrote:

Graham wrote:

Graham wrote:
    €1800 rent -€500 (replace this figure with 85% of your monthly interest payments) -€200 other expenses e.g. repairs, managing agents fees etc (replace this figure with your estimated allowable expenses) =€1100 profit

Graham wrote:
    You pay tax on the €1100 profit. E.g. @51% that would be €561 tax/month Leaving €539

Graham wrote:

Graham wrote:

And people wonder why rents are sky high!!😂

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Graham wrote: »

E.g.

€1800 rent
    -€200 other expenses e.g. repairs, managing agents fees etc (replace this figure with your estimated allowable expenses)
    =€1100 profit

Leaving €539

Are you saying if you rent a place for 1800 a month that, at the end, you only get 539 in to your pocket ? If so, CHRIST ABOVE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

If you really don't want to live there, can break even on a sale and have approval for a mortgage somewhere you actually see yourself living long term, maybe just sell?

You're in a far better situation than many that bought at the top of the market. I know people stuck with 'starter' properties that would love to walk away and break even.

You'll might lose your tracker and a lot of the rent you make to tax and rents/house prices won't keep rising.

You might end up having to supplement more and more of the mortgage in a few years time when you may need the money more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Are you saying if you rent a place for 1800 a month that, at the end, you only get 539 in to your pocket ? If so, CHRIST ABOVE.

And a house that is magically paid for after 20 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Please clarify

Leaving €539

If the tax is 561 a month then surely the net is 1800 - 561 which is 1239?

You said the tax is charged on the 11000 but then you minuses it off the 1100 instead of 1800?

I'm not trying to be cheeky just trying to understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I am in a similar situation , here are my thoughts on it;

If I was renting my house out in dublin at about €1500 per month and paying rent nearer to home at €900 per month ( a bigger house) , it would cost much the same when I pay tax on the rental income.

If my tenants decided not to pay rent for 1 or 2 months, I could definitely not pay out €3000 a month to cover rents & mortgage, that worries me.

You can move your tracker with most banks ( mine is AIB) at a rate of 1% or do added into your tracker.

If you have a house in neg equity and a good tracker, you are better holding on to it as long as possible as you are paying a lot off the mortgage each year, not just interest.

It would be good to have house in Dublin in the future when kids are going to college/ university!

You will still need a 20% deposit to buy new house .

I don't know about you, but In my case I would have to move jobs, therefore may not get mortgage for a few years after moving .

Also in my case , moving home would mean more travel time to work, so more money on car/ petrol etc.. ( but also cheaper childcare) .

Would love to know your decision and reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Are you not applicable for 3.5 times income, minus debt owed. So 3.5 times joint income, minus 300k(guessing here) plus 20% deposit on new property?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Wesser wrote: »
    Please clarify

Leaving €539

You said the tax is charged on the 11000 but then you minuses it off the 1100 instead of 1800?

There you go, Rent charged minus 85% interest minus expenses leaves you with the profit which is taxed 51%.

E.g.

€1800 rent
    =€1100 profit

What?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

What?!

He is assuming that 85% of the monthly interest is €500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You would need a contingency fund in case of a tenant not paying rent for a long time, a boiler failing or even a leak damage etc. Ideally a years rent or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 fflynn

Please clarify

Leaving €539

1800 - 561 (tax) = 1239 - 588 (interest paid) = 651 - 200 (expenses) = leaving 451

No.
    my question is
    Do you not minus the 561 from 1800 instead of 1100.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Please clarify

Leaving €539

In Cash Terms
    From the €1800 you receive
    you pay €588 mortgage interest (with 85% of this classed as an expense)
    you pay €612 mortgage capital (not an expense so not tax deductible)
    you pay €200 expenses (with 100% of this as an expense assuming they are allowed expenses)
    you pay €539 tax (tax @ 51% on €1800 - (85% of €588) - €200)

Total in your pocket each month -€139

In other words, using my makey uppey numbers. It's entirely possible to appear to be cashflow positive on a rental property but actually be out of pocket when you realise you can't claim all of your mortgage payment as an expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Wesser wrote:

Yes, your figure is correct but the other person's calculation was also taking off mortgage interest and other allowable expenses, so 1239 is correct.

1800 - 561 (tax) = 1239 - 588 (interest paid) = 651 - 200 (expenses) = leaving 451[/quote]

Ok so that 451 pays off the principle right?
    And the 588 pays the interest right?
    You're not paying the whole mortgage out of 451?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 fflynn

1800 - 561 (tax) = 1239 - 588 (interest paid) = 651 - 200 (expenses) = leaving 451

Ok so that 451 pays off the principle right?
    And the 588 pays the interest right?
    You're not paying the whole mortgage out of 451?

correct

Advertisement