Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 is going to get a lot more congested.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

IngazZagni wrote: »
    .....The population is increasing and the needs of the residents need to be met with adequate shopping facilities...

Clonsilla as a distinct identity and community identity has largely been obliterated by unstructured planning and ad-hoc development. Forget saving Clonsilla that ship sailed decades ago.

We are building these faceless, soulless concrete jungles knowing that this caused issues for decades in the past, but we are determined to repeat those lessons all over again. We can't concrete over history fast enough in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

beauf wrote: »
    Maybe they should bulldoze everything older than 10yrs old and replace it with high density high rise concrete apartment blocks and industrial and retail parks. Recreate 1950s industrial UK and USSR everywhere. You'd get a good 200 apartments on the church and graveyard for starters.

Most 50s and 60s suburban Dublin churches will be on the chopping block soon as they go the way of Finglas West. Could extend to the 80s even - the church in Mountview is pretty large...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Yes Just looking at the map I think there is a clear deficit of supermarkets in the area and having to drive long distances adding to traffic is in no ones interest.

Can I ask what is your definition of “having to drive long distances”?

Clonsilla to Dunnes in the Blanchardstown Centre, is 2.1Km.
    Clonsilla to Dunnes in Ongar is 2.6Km..
    Clonsilla to Tesco Roselawn is 2.7Km.
    Clonsilla to Lidl Blakestown is 1.9Km.
    Clonsilla to Lidl West End Retail 2.2Km.
    Clonsilla to Aldi Mulhuddart 2.9Km.
    Clonsilla to Supervalue Main St Blanchardstown 3.6Km.

(Apple Maps used to calculate distance)

L1011 wrote: »
    Most 50s and 60s suburban Dublin churches will be on the chopping block soon as they go the way of Finglas West. Could extend to the 80s even - the church in Mountview is pretty large...

Lots of old large buildings all over. Dublin Castle is another. Fit a load of apartments there also. Lots of empty space there also. Clonsilla schools both of them. Nice 10 storey set of flats better density. Luttrellstown Castle compete waste of space. Compulsory order, a good few massive estates would fit in there. A retail park and food hall.

...Dublin 15 is going to get a lot more congested...

Can't happen quick enough it seems....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Yes because bulldozing a church is exactly what I’m talking about...... I’m not advocating bulldozing anything. I am saying that just because there are bungalows with massive gardens in the area doesn’t mean that all developments in this area should be like this.

An eyesore compared to the overgrown field that originally existed? This may have been the Countryside at one stage folks but it certainly isn’t now. It’s a medium density suburban area which is next to a train station and hopefully soon to be Dart station. The population is increasing and the needs of the residents need to be met with adequate shopping facilities. Just looking at the map I think there is a clear deficit of supermarkets in the area and having to drive long distances adding to traffic is in no ones interest.

The population is increasing because planning permission keeps being granted for absolutely awful looking, and located, developments that are completely destroying the area.

And yes, a towering supermarket slap bang in front of some quaint cottages is most definitely an eyesore.

Are you a developer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭raheny red

Great work by Fingal here. Hopefully it helps more kids cycle to school instead of getting lifts down the road.

https://twitter.com/Fingalcoco/status/1321436376345284616?s=19

raheny red wrote: »
    Great work by Fingal here. Hopefully it helps more kids cycle to school instead of getting lifts down the road...

Great idea. I think everyone is a bit down with the second lockdown. It's a good time to promote cycling for people's general wellbeing. Even for those WFH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Great work by Fingal here. Hopefully it helps more kids cycle to school instead of getting lifts down the road.

Tokenism really, an easy job as cyclelane was already there.
    Why is there no cyclelane on station road to hansfield station? Also why no cyclelane from ongar road to clonsilla station? Too difficult/expensive for clonsilla and bad planning for hansfield, imho.

Paint isn't a cycle lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Paint isn't a cycle lane.

It always was.

Throwing paint down is the token gesture though. This is a big move by Fingal to ensuring safer cycling and to encourage more people to cycle. Which in turn should hopefully lead to less congestion in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Phil.x wrote: »
    Why is there no cyclelane on station road to hansfield station? Also why no cyclelane from ongar road to clonsilla station? Too difficult/expensive for clonsilla and bad planning for hansfield, imho.

From Clonsilla station to Ongar, the area around the new St. Joseph's housing development has cycle lanes now so apart from a section from hospital to Allendale roundabout, it's a bit of an improvement at least.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Phil.x wrote: »

A proper kerbed-off cycle lane is a lot safer than a painted line on the road, especially at the speed some people still drive on that road despite the ramps.

And the work now is being halted.....

https://twitter.com/CllrEOB/status/1325937251919015946?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Yeah because it's an absolute shambles apparently.

https://www.facebook.com/430906330320263/posts/3736584066419123/

Dangerous turns. People tripping and bus drivers noting that they don't have enough room to maneuver past each other without clipping mirrors and that's with only one side of the road done.

Thanks for that.

Awh Facebook..... "There will be fatalities because of this".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Driving past Mountview/Iceland the other day, I have to admit it makes the road much narrower so motorists have to slow down (not necessarily a bad thing) but I did think wider lorries/ buses etc would find it a challenge when meeting similar oncoming.

Also, the dividers stick way out at junctions (Lohunda for example) so motorists have to take extremely wide turns turning left in or out which could also create collision situations.

I'm pretty sure if cyclists repeatedly encounter a slow cyclist ahead of them and with no room to overtake, they'll just not use them, thus rendering them obsolete for a large number of cyclists.

Why can't they just continue the more traditional type of cycle lanes they have near Blakestown Lidl/ Huntstown shops?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

ongarboy wrote: »
    Driving past Mountview/Iceland the other day, I have to admit it makes the road much narrower so motorists have to slow down (not necessarily a bad thing) but I did think wider lorries/ buses etc would find it a challenge when meeting similar oncoming.

I'm much more of a fan of traffic slowing through road narrowing than the current speedbumps on that road, I find them brutal

I'll have to go look at them.

If they are a hazard then they have to be changed. The street is well lit so I dunno how you'd trip over them. They aren't that small. But if it's left the road too narrow that buses can't pass each other then something is wrong.

• Advertisement

Why can't they just continue the more traditional type of cycle lanes they have near Blakestown Lidl/ Huntstown shops?

They are great when people don't walk in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Also, the dividers stick way out at junctions (Lohunda for example) so motorists have to take extremely wide turns turning left in or out which could also create collision situations.

This bull**** is a lazy nonsensical pathetic excuse. FFS it's a car they're driving, not an artic. Slow the **** down and use your steering wheel, if you can't manage a corner like that without having to go to the other side of the road then you either can't drive, or are driving inappropriately.
    How do these morons manage to turn off a road and get into their driveways?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Treedays

Hurrache wrote: »
    This bull**** is a lazy nonsensical pathetic excuse. FFS it's a car they're driving, not an artic. Slow the **** down and use your steering wheel, if you can't manage a corner like that without having to go to the other side of the road then you either can't drive, or are driving inappropriately.
    How do these morons manage to turn off a road and get into their driveways?

Calm down. Do you really see nothing wrong in this picture?

https://scontent-dub4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/124373469_3736583966419133_8777961841836836856_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=9yaHzq2kgB4AX-Es8x9&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=93b4b38c69c110a3b5d5ae8adf82c81c&oe=5FD23B50

All they're requesting is a safety assessment. If the assessment determines there's no hazards being introduced then what's the problem? Hartstown/Huntstown is about 40-45 years old now, they have done without these lanes for that length of time - an extra few weeks , even a month or 2, to conduct a safety assessment isn't the end of the world.

Makes no sense to stick the kerb out that far.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Treedays wrote: »
    Calm down. Do you really see nothing wrong in this picture?

What I see is an unfinished piece of work with this as the current version
    124646725_3736583919752471_3766100627382496688_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=MO4WodJnBuoAX825_Me&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=994e181ca93cc7ba67e647256640ac89&oe=5FD2198C

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

beauf wrote: »
    Makes no sense to stick the kerb out that far.

Looks like they are moving them back about 1m now at some entrances. Just saw a post from Daniel Whooley on FB.
    Cycling Lanes in Hartstown
    A quick update on the segregated cycling lanes along the Hartstown road to Mountview. The local cllrs met with Fingal’s engineering team today at the cycling lanes to talk about what can be done to fix some the issues that you all have been emailing us about!
    It was agreed to pull back the curbs back about a meter or so at some entrances and junctions so turns are not as sharp and cars do not have to cross traffic.
    Fingal also are gonna look into painting the curbs luminous colour so that people can see them better, particularly at night! This should 2make the curbs more visible and easier to see for anyone crossing the road.

That the kerb was designed and then actually built so far out makes you question the whole process tbh.

Once the wands are installed, that looks to be a curb radius of around 3m, which is exactly what the design manual for urban streets calls for on roads with few large vehicles.
    Where design speeds are low and
    movements by larger vehicles are
    infrequent, such as on Local streets, a
    maximum corner radii of 1-3m should be
    applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭daymobrew

One has to ask the (rhetorical) question - why are these mini kerbs needed?
    Maybe solve that problem and they won't be needed.

• Advertisement

liamog wrote: »
    Once the wands are installed, that looks to be a curb radius of around 3m, which is exactly what the design manual for urban streets calls for on roads with few large vehicles.

Is a regular bus service "few" large vehicles? I don't know the answer and while I know these roads I'm not on them often enough, to know how suitable these lanes are on this road.

Seems odd to squeeze the road when there's acres of grass verge/green area to make a entirely segregated cycle path.

Advertisement