Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 is going to get a lot more congested.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...yeah its my imagination... yy quote earlier was from the rail review ...drawn up by the National Transport Authority and Iarnród Éireann..

http://www.tjclare.ie/2016/02/overcrowding-on-maynooth-line.html
    https://www.oceanfm.ie/2016/10/25/irish-rail-responds-to-harkins-concerns-on-overcrowding/
    https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2016-06-14a.1466

I'm surprised no one was dropped the usual nonsense about the passenger weight being within the limits of the carriage specifications.
    No detail of any safety spec for the number of standing passengers between carriages or anything like that.

Its not just 41 apartments. There are number of new developments all long the line all incrementally increasing the demand on the services.
    The off peak train I get must have about 3x more passengers now than 12 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Why would that be good news for Blanchardstown?
    I think it's good to have suitable sites developed for housing, especially near the village and its struggling retail environment. Everyone wants to drive to Roselawn or the shopping centre even if they're short walks away. Will be good for the village and will give more people a chance at living in areas which are well served by infrastructure.

I see beauf's point about Irish Rail, most services are overwhelmed in the mornings now, and the 6.37 train from Connolly is a sorry sight with its 4 carriages. The docklands services are getting a lot of use too on weekdays at least. We just have to hope this will be remedied quickly, Irish rail still have options on more ICR carriages and this can go towards the Newbridge-GCD services while they're not severely congested. They still have some diesel commuter trains they can rehabilitate in the near future too.

Well that's it entirely.

Driving I have to say I avoid this area at Peak (the turn off M50 into the bell) takes forever at peak. I assume its the same getting out in the morning.

I'm usually on the train. So thankfully I don't have to endure driving. I prefer cycling to the train though. Its become really unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Phil.x wrote: »
    From fingals website, 4500 people.

If utilities, transport and amenities are at breaking point, which they are, well then every extra house built is making it worse.

Nonsense. There are some issues with transport and schools, typical of any growing city, but they are not at breaking point and ive seen no problem with utilities browning-out or public parks or shopping centres queued out the gates. Builders of housing estates are required to contribute to infrastructure and pay development levies to improve the wider community. D15 is far from badly off in any of those respects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Breaking point?! You'd have to wonder where they come up with all this..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

They're two separate issues.

Should the train service be improved? Yes.

Should apartments be built on the Bradys site? Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Should people from D15 use their car to drive to work? No.

Although they can use them if they want, their moaning should not be paid attention to.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

RasTa wrote: »

Says you. I use it cos I have a free car park and I love it. Also can shoot off wherever I want after work without having to worry about arranging things.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Although they can use them if they want, their moaning should not be paid attention to.

I'm sure there a lot of people who work in places that a commute by public transport is either not possible or ridiculously long. Should they not be permitted to drive to work, or if they do should their concerns be dismissed out of hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Zaph wrote: »
    I'm sure there a lot of people who work in places that a commute by public transport is either not possible or ridiculously long. Should they not be permitted to drive to work, or if they do should their concerns be dismissed out of hand?

Precisely this! Public transport in D15 is poor unless you're going to the city centre or somewhere on the train line. We don't even have a direct link to the airport!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Caranica wrote: »
    Precisely this! Public transport in D15 is poor unless you're going to the city centre or somewhere on the train line. We don't even have a direct link to the airport!

Oddly the solution to this is to make the area more congested, I.e denser, then public transport routes become viable to a bigger and better range of destinations.

An airport route would be great for instance but I don’t think there’s any route you could run it that would serve a big enough population & be direct enough to make it viable.

The airport link will come with metro north and it will need that catchment to make it viable.

Public Transport has always been heavily used in D.15. I don't think its a lack of population or use the population.

Its the lack of political influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Kellystown Link Road parallel with the Clonsilla Rail Line linking to the N3 -N4 Link Road will open up further development = traffic

Fingal looking for consultant to bring throught route selecton and part 8 planning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

beauf wrote: »
    The airport link will come with metro north and it will need that catchment to make it viable.

Public Transport has always been heavily used in D.15. I don't think its a lack of population or use the population.

Its the lack of political influence.

A couple of points. Metro north 2027...i am working on a government tender that was supposed to be 2016 and is way past that so I wouldn't hold out for 2027.

Lack of political influence? The Taoiseach and a previous Minister for Finance?

Regarding the Brady's apartments...has anyone figured out that Leo lives in the penthouse 4 stories up in Rosehaven.

I don't drive into town as the 38 is grand for me, if it could decide which route it takes and signpost accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

amtc wrote: »
    A couple of points. Metro north 2027...i am working on a government tender that was supposed to be 2016 and is way past that so I wouldn't hold out for 2027.

Lack of political influence? The Taoiseach and a previous Minister for Finance?

Regarding the Brady's apartments...has anyone figured out that Leo lives in the penthouse 4 stories up in Rosehaven.

I don't drive into town as the 38 is grand for me, if it could decide which route it takes and signpost accordingly.

Having ministers in the constituency is of no value. You need independent TDs who'll sell their Dail support in exchange for local projects and we've never had one of them.

amtc wrote: »
    ...Lack of political influence? The Taoiseach and a previous Minister for Finance?...

BL was very active locally. Leo I never heard of on local issues. As he wants to avoid being seen as a "Dublin Politician" I think he'll avoid being attached to many if any local issues now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I think the likes of driving kids 1kn to school is the cause of plenty of congestion near 9am. And people have very peculiar ideas of "ridiculously long". Not everyone is commuting to Bray.

A lot of schools start at 8.30. But yeah schools cause a lot of congestion. But they are only part of the story.

The majority of the congestion in the evening is long after the schools are finished.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Says you. I use it cos I have a free car park and I love it. Also can shoot off wherever I want after work without having to worry about arranging things.

Drive away but don't moan about it. It's a 10-12k cycle into town and if you're too lazy to do that then you are a disgrace.

A disgrace? Get a grip of yourself.

• Advertisement

A disgrace? Get a grip of yourself.

Yup, over in Amsterdam last month and the amount of bikes parked up everywhere was great too see. Over in this small minded country everyone likes to complain about the traffic whilst they sit in their cars by themselves.

Public transport is terrible etc etc. Always an excuse for jumping in their car.

A disgrace

They also have individual traffic lights for cyclists over there and have a much better set up overall. You're taking your life in your hands in some parts of the city when on a bike. Also, what do you suggest for people without showering facilites in their workplace? A 10-12k cycle is gonna leave you sweating whether its lashing rain or roasting hot.

Drive away but don't moan about it. It's a 10-12k cycle into town and if you're too lazy to do that then you are a disgrace.

Hang on a minute, if you want to cycle then that's your prerogative, but you don't get to come on here and tell people they're a disgrace simply because they choose not to. There are many reasons why people would rather not cycle, ironically the volume of heavy traffic is one I've heard from a number of people, but that sort of judgemental crap is one reason so many people dislike cyclists.

Well don't moan about the congestion then when you're the person causing it. More excuses for lazyness is all I'm reading. Jump on the train then or get the bus and leave the car at home. Plenty of options and I feel like I'm repeating myself but car should be option Z. Run to work if you have to. Imagine telling someone from Europe you drive 10-12k to work which can take an hour each way and watch them laugh for 30mins as to how stupid you are

Almost all offices have showers these days.

Lazyness is a disgrace.

Well don't moan about the congestion then when you're the person causing it. More excuses for lazyness is all I'm reading. Jump on the train then or get the bus and leave the car at home. Plenty of options and I feel like I'm repeating myself but car should be option Z. Run to work if you have to. Imagine telling someone from Europe you drive 10-12k to work which can take an hour each way and watch them laugh for 30mins as to how stupid you are

Lazyness is a disgrace.

What if your workplace has no showering facilites? My last two didn't.

What if your workplace has no showering facilites? My last two didn't.

Then get the train, docklands or pearse. Maybe a bus can help. You shouldn't be working up much of a sweat on a downhill 10k cycle into town.

Then get the train, docklands or pearse. Maybe a bus can help. You shouldn't be working up much of a sweat on a downhill 10k cycle into town.

Yeah I think I'll just drive.

Also, I never once complained about traffic, I miss it cos I leave the gaff at a 7:10. I was simply commenting to say people drive to work from D15 for a myriad of reasons eg free parking, car pooling, commitments after work that require taking their own car.

Lazyness is a disgrace.

I get the train from Coolmine to Docklands every morning, so you can come down from that high horse of yours. But just because I use public transport it doesn't mean I don't have the right to complain about traffic congestion in the area and the fact that little is being done to resolve it.

Yeah I think I'll just drive.

Also, I never once complained about traffic, I miss it cos I leave the gaff at a 7:10. I was simply commenting to say people drive to work from D15 for a myriad of reasons eg free parking, car pooling, commitments after work that require taking their own car.

Complete nonsense. Buses and trains start at time. What commitments need a car from the bloody city center of all places.

It's the lazy Irish mindset and why we are losing business to frankfurt and Brussles as they are actual European cities.

Netherlands

dscf4508.jpg

Belgium

120924-gent6.jpg

Germany

30172135.jpg

Dublin

cycle-parking2.jpg

• Advertisement

So what if buses start at that time? How does that render my reason of there's very light traffic at 7:10 am nonsensical? It doesn't. I fly in at that time. When I finish, I've the freedom to go where I want and when.

People have commitments and lives outside of their jobs that may be away from the general locale of their office. I myself have football after work in Sandyford on tuesdays for example. It absolutely suits me to drive out there after my shift and then home directly from there. Spin to Sandyford takes no time and then drive home up the M50 is a doddle too. I'd take that over an eternity of stops and starts through town.

What if you have to pick children up? What if you have to do a hospital visits out in Beaumont for argument's sake. Family living somewhere not on a bus route convenient to you. Everyone has different circumstances and preferences.

Advertisement