Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 is going to get a lot more congested.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Sandyford?! Where the Luas goes? Yeah a car is needed to get there alright.

€50 congestion charge needs to implemented for the likes of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

RasTa wrote: »

Handy if you work near the Green Luas line. I'm on the other side of the city. Why would I bother travelling across the city on a bus to catch a Luas when I can drive over in the time it takes me to even reach the Green line? And for the return, by the time I get back into the city centre via Luas to catch another hour long bus journey, I'd be already home and spending time with my family, something I'd put more importance than anything else.

You go ahead and petition for your little congestion charge, I'll keep availing of my free secure parking ;)

Omackeral wrote: »
    Handy if you work near the Green Luas line. I'm on the other side of the city. Why would I bother travelling across the city on a bus to catch a Luas when I can drive over in the time it takes me to even reach the Green line? And for the return, by the time I get back into the city centre via Luas to catch another hour long bus journey, I'd be already home and spending time with my family, something I'd put more importance than anything else.

You go ahead and petition for your little congestion charge, I'll keep availing of my free secure parking ;)

They have these things called Dublin Bikes dotted around the city. Unhealthy the amount of time you spend in your car tbh.

I'm not petitioning for anything. It's your money you are wasting on insurance and petrol/diesel

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

€50? Now you're just being silly, they don't even charge that in London (£11.50 per day there).

They have these things called Dublin Bikes dotted around the city. Unhealthy the amount of time you spend in your car tbh.

I'm not petitioning for anything. It's your money you are wasting on insurance and petrol/diesel

I don't think you're convincing anyone. I haven't cycled in a good while, as it's far from practical for me. On a good day, it would be a 25km round trip, leaving the house at 6:15am (which can be brutal in winter). On a bad day, I'd have to make a 50km round trip. On top of this, I've had things like a broken collarbone a few years ago where I hit black ice in phoenix park. It really makes you question whether it's worth it.

I've also spent a good year using public transport almost exclusively. My time commuting each day went up to 2-3 hours, but at least I could get stuff done on the bus. Had I been driving, my commuting time would have been half this. This is a major failing of the public transport system.

My solution to all this? Ride a motorbike :)

• Advertisement

No, it's not. It's saving me loads of time if you care to read what I posted. As for unhealthy, I do Krav Maga and play football during the week straight after work and I can make it to those on time cos I just zip directly out to where they're on. It's great.

No, it's not. It's saving me loads of time if you care to read what I posted. As for unhealthy, I do Krav Maga and play football during the week straight after work and I can make it to those on time cos I just zip directly out to where they're on. It's great.

Good for you, you're still wasting a silly amount of money on tolls for football and petrol to get to all these places. Hope that Krav maga isn't the one in D15.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Zaph wrote: »
    I get the train from Coolmine to Docklands every morning, so you can come down from that high horse of yours. But just because I use public transport it doesn't mean I don't have the right to complain about traffic congestion in the area and the fact that little is being done to resolve it.
    If we're talking about "cyclists being hated by everybody" then perhaps take a glance in the mirror before saying someone else should come off the high horse. Whenever I do cycle in Dublin, I get beeped at and cursed for simply existing on the road. Like the Main St. / Clonsilla road slip road. Try leaving the bus lane there to go in the direction of the Garda station and see what happens when you get in the way of a car suddenly turning left. I guarantee you this stupid hatred of cycling wouldn't change even if everyone always respected traffic signals, lane position and having lights on at night. Ultimately bikes slow people going from A to B on the narrower roads around D15 and many other places.

I don't expect everyone to to cycle around all the time, I just don't think everyone around D15 is going that distance whenever they drive their cars. Many journeys could be walked and cycled, especially if the powers that be can't imagine life outside a private car and have a Maggie Thatcher attitude to buses.

Good for you, you're still wasting a silly amount of money on tolls for football and petrol to get to all these places. Hope that Krav maga isn't the one in D15.

A- Sandyford to Huntstown 22 min (28.1 km) via M50 by car

B- Sandyford to Huntstown 1 h 43 min via Westmoreland St by bus/luas

Anything other than Option A* is silly IMO.

Maybe you have no time for other activites or you're not a people person but I'd rather spend my free time not on a bus or a tram. I'll pay the toll once a week, it's grand, I'm not that mean! You can call it a waste, I'd rather have my own time for me. Anyway, that's me and I do realise I'm lucky enough with the on-site parking.

*Source - https://www.google.ie/search?q=sandyford+to+huntstown&oq=sandyford+to+huntstown&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.7169j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

30k trip once a week to play football that's a lot for someone who values their time so much? That must cost a lot in petrol plus 30k a day in and out of work?

I run 50-70k a week so have plenty of time, sometimes work out in Lepardstown and public transport out(50mins train/luas) and car pool home.

• Advertisement

30k trip once a week to play football that's a lot for someone who values their time so much? That must cost a lot in petrol plus 30k a day in and out of work?

I run 50-70k a week so have plenty of time, sometimes work out in Lepardstown and public transport out(50mins train/luas) and car pool home.

Home in Dublin 15 to office in Leopardstown in 50 minutes?

That's why it's only once a week, genius. Anyway, I'm absolutely minted so I don't care. Enjoy your sweaty peasant wagon.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Basil3 wrote: »

Coolmine train station, 1 min jog. 17mins to Connolly. 5-8mins Dublin bike to Stephens green.

25mins on Luas to Sandyford and another jog to the office
    That's why it's only once a week, genius. Anyway, I'm absolutely minted so I don't care. Enjoy your sweaty peasant wagon.

Then why are you living in Huntstown?

Because it's a dead handy commute to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

I think the likes of driving kids 1kn to school is the cause of plenty of congestion near 9am. And people have very peculiar ideas of "ridiculously long". Not everyone is commuting to Bray.

Dropping kids to school are the primary cause..traffic is almost non existent in the summer months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Coolmine train station, 1 min jog. 17mins to Connolly. 5-8mins Dublin bike to Stephens green...

That would be faster than the timetable. It's more like 25. Often longer if it has to wait to get into Connolly. I can get off at Drumcondra and cycle from there and be quicker to the luas stop outside Connolly than staying on the train.

That said it is a lot less work/stress than driving...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If we're talking about "cyclists being hated by everybody" then perhaps take a glance in the mirror before saying someone else should come off the high horse. Whenever I do cycle in Dublin, I get beeped at and cursed for simply existing on the road. Like the Main St. / Clonsilla road slip road. Try leaving the bus lane there to go in the direction of the Garda station and see what happens when you get in the way of a car suddenly turning left. I guarantee you this stupid hatred of cycling wouldn't change even if everyone always respected traffic signals, lane position and having lights on at night. Ultimately bikes slow people going from A to B on the narrower roads around D15 and many other places.

Well my own personal dislike of cyclists is as a pedestrian, rather than a motorist. I appreciate that it's often not easy cycling around the area so I will be patient when behind a cyclist and give them plenty of room when overtaking. However I do also have to avoid getting run over by one or more cyclists on an almost daily basis at Guild Street on my way to and from Docklands station because so many of them are incapable of obeying red traffic lights.

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Dropping kids to school are the primary cause..traffic is almost non existent in the summer months

Its a lot lighter. But there are still traffic jams at peak times. Though peak time shrink.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Zaph wrote: »
    Well my own personal dislike of cyclists is as a pedestrian, rather than a motorist. I appreciate that it's often not easy cycling around the area so I will be patient when behind a cyclist and give them plenty of room when overtaking. However I do also have to avoid getting run over by one or more cyclists on an almost daily basis at Guild Street on my way to and from Docklands station because so many of them are incapable of obeying red traffic lights.
    Not all of them do that. And you're less likely to notice the ones who obey the rules anyway. Not a great reason to hate all cyclists or cycling. I'm saying we could do much more to give it a help to deal with traffic congestion (and to reward safe and legal cycling).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I worked in Carrickmines. 22 minutes by car. 3 hours by bus Luas and walking plus I got wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

MayoSalmon wrote: »

It's not only the schoolkids, both primary and secondary, though they are part of it. The main problem IMO is when the older students resume college.

Traffic wasn't too bad when the schools went back, but as soon as all the colleges resumed, the traffic gridlock, overcrowding on trains etc, came back with a bang.

On my route had heavy traffic on and off all summer. Trains likewise have been getting massively busier all summer. I think that's more to do with the upturn especially around the ifsc over the year.

amtc wrote: »
    I worked in Carrickmines. 22 minutes by car. 3 hours by bus Luas and walking plus I got wet.

You're a lazy disgrace, you should take 3 buses, 2 luas rides and a rickshaw. You should have a 50 euro congestion charge applied to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

Coolmine train station, 1 min jog. 17mins to Connolly. 5-8mins Dublin bike to Stephens green.

25mins on Luas to Sandyford and another jog to the office

It's hard to take an argument seriously based on such obvious false info. You forgot waiting times and also the fact it takes about 5 minutes to get from the platform a Connolly to the nearest Dublin bike station, add another 5 minutes onto the cycle for traffic lights on the way and the fact that no commuter train gets from coolmine to connolly in 17 mins. This is assuming you can find a bike and also a parking spot for the bike. No bike or parking spot available and add another 5 to 10 mins onto the commute.

Do you use strava or anything - I would love to see the commute to sandyford tracked in the times you indicate.

I cycle almost every day and I used to take public transport but you will never convince people to switch with the poor arguments you are putting forward.

I wonder how long it will take with the Luas from BoomBridge.

AlanG wrote: »
    It's hard to take an argument seriously based on such obvious false info. You forgot waiting times and also the fact it takes about 5 minutes to get from the platform a Connolly to the nearest Dublin bike station, add another 5 minutes onto the cycle for traffic lights on the way and the fact that no commuter train gets from coolmine to connolly in 17 mins. This is assuming you can find a bike and also a parking spot for the bike. No bike or parking spot available and add another 5 to 10 mins onto the commute.

Do you use strava or anything - I would love to see the commute to sandyford tracked in the times you indicate.

I cycle almost every day and I used to take public transport but you will never convince people to switch with the poor arguments you are putting forward.

Yeah I use Strava but only track the running on the Garmin. There is no waiting time. I don't travel at peak times so 20mins(18 according to Irish Rail) You can argue over 10mins if you want but if I get the 2pm train I'm in lep for 3

...I get the 2pm train I'm in lep for 3

Its only 30 mins by car at 2pm.

beauf wrote: »
    Its only 30 mins by car at 2pm.

30-45mins traffic depending. However D15 to Lep is void of the congestion charge since you're not going through town.

Those disgraces going into town, €50 fat bastard tax. Same fine for parents who drive their kids to school if they live within 3miles

• Advertisement

30-45mins traffic depending. However D15 to Lep is void of the congestion charge since you're not going through town.

Those disgraces going into town, €50 fat bastard tax. Same fine for parents who drive their kids to school if they live within 3miles

How far do your kids have to travel to get to school, and how do they get there?

Advertisement