Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 is going to get a lot more congested.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Basil3 wrote: »
    How far do your kids have to travel to get to school, and how do they get there?

Don't have any thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    I get on at Ashtown station everyday for the last 5 years and while its busy I've never been unable to get on so not sure what your on about..

Maybe ask Paddy...

https://twitter.com/paddyjwalsh/status/920539832698499072

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

beauf wrote: »

Maybe tell Paddy to get a bit of perspective. We had a once in a lifetime weather event earlier in the week.

The trains were all delayed on Wednesday after the storms. When that happens, people cram into the first train that arrives, so of course they're going to be jammed.

Well can't say its never happened now though can ye? ;)

Leaves on the line is not a once in a lifetime event though. Neither are delays. All week I've had delays. Reason given was signalling issue.

A better train service would be great. Electrification, more frequent trains, less random stopping outside Connolly, these would all be wonderful. But Iarnrod Eireann is borderline insolvent and the government doesn't have any spare cash to fund these things.

How any of this is relevant to residential construction is still not clear though.

• Advertisement

How any of this is relevant to residential construction is still not clear though.

Do you work in the planning dept by any chance...

Do you work in the planning dept by any chance...

No, but I do live in the real world.

In a previous version of this thread topic I think we figured out over the past decade the capacity of the trains has doubled but the population and the demand has increased many times more than that.

In a previous version of this thread topic I think we figured out over the past decade the capacity of the trains has doubled but the population and the demand has increased many times more than that.

So we should improve the trains.

But there's no money to do so.

The next step is...?

Build more of everything and get everyone to drive apparently.

• Advertisement

Build more of everything and get everyone to drive apparently.

No. As far as possible, you build close to existing infrastructure.

Have you even one realistic alternative suggestion?

Page #3 of this thread...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104235060&postcount=45

People seem blind to poor planning. Maybe no one cares or notices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Why don't we use double decker trains? Have seen them in Paris and Chicago and I'm sure somewhere else too. Double capacity without needing to expand Connolly.

That was discussed previously. I don't think its the bridges, it was something else, can't remember. Lot of money though I expect.

Page #3 of this thread...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104235060&postcount=45

People seem blind to poor planning. Maybe no one cares or notices.

Maybe I'm confusing posters. Were you not opposed to the apartments at Brady's?

Not opposed. Though if I was local to them I'd be peeved at being overlooked by them.

More amused at all these new developments are sold and planned with the idea of fantastic transport infrastructure. When its all very badly congested.
    Phil.x wrote: »
    Man when will all this building in D15 stop.
    Roads, rail, bus, amenities are at breaking point and in some cases broken.

Potentially it should be great. If the cycle way on the canal was developed into city center, decent cycle lanes, including the quays. More capacity and frequency on the trains.
    But none of this is being done. We get the housing, but not the infrastructure. We seem surprised when obvious problems then occur. Like shortage of school places.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Scallywags closed down? Probably end up as apartments soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Scallywags closed down? Probably end up as apartments soon enough.

Heard some crazy stories about what went on there as to the reasons it was closed down...

Nothing to do with the children before anyone panics

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

http://www.pleanala.ie/documents/reports/249/R249188.pdf

The 103 residential units and neighbourhood shops at the junction of Clonsilla Link Road and Clonsilla Road got the go ahead from An Bord Pleanala this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

• Advertisement

That will make getting the train interesting down stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,529 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Train should have changed to 4 car commuter units - proper door positioning and designed for standing - at all times by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

L1011 wrote: »
    Train should have changed to 4 car commuter units - proper door positioning and designed for standing - at all times by then.

And hopefully more then 1 4 car unit.

And somewhere to put a folding bike...

ongarboy wrote: »

I don't care about the congestion or train situation (well, I do), but the real problem there is building hundreds of one/two bed apartments in Hansfield.

Did we learn absolutely nothing from the previous construction boom?

Considering we are repeating all the same mistakes. I say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

I don't care about the congestion or train situation (well, I do), but the real problem there is building hundreds of one/two bed apartments in Hansfield.

Did we learn absolutely nothing from the previous construction boom?

Weren't it mostly 3/4 bed semi d being build in the last boom?

What's wrong about building apartments close to a train line (so people can walk to the station)?

d15ude wrote: »
    Weren't it mostly 3/4 bed semi d being build in the last boom?

What's wrong about building apartments close to a train line (so people can walk to the station)?

They should be built closer to city center. That's where high density accommodation is needed. Then they wouldn't need the train at all.

Also there isn't capacity on that line. Never has been. So building beside it solves nothing.

Suburbs is generally where people want low density housing. Maybe we should have high density everywhere. Even in the middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

They should be built closer to city center. That's where high density accommodation is needed. Then they wouldn't need the train at all.

Also there isn't capacity on that line. Never has been. So building beside it solves nothing.

Suburbs is generally where people want low density housing. Maybe we should have high density everywhere. Even in the middle of nowhere.

No, there needs to be a mix.
    Endless estates of 3&4 bed houses are what was built in the boom and what you end up with is densities too low for public transport or local shops and services. Basically a car dependent lifestyle with no other options. On top of that you get incredibly homogenous estates with no options for different parts of people's life cycles.

Plenty of people are happy to live in less urban environments but want smaller dwellings, from late 20s couples thinking about marriage and first babies, divorced people who want to be close to their kids, retirees looking to downsize, single mom's. . .

• Advertisement

See you are talking about European design guidelines, where they build infrastructure like public transport, and schools, often before they build the housing. They build family sized apartments with integrated facilities for children etc.

In Ireland we do the opposite. We build the housing (in this case high density) in a location where there already already decades of shortages of schools and capacity on the public transport specifically in this case the rail link.

Most old people don't want to live beside young people in apartments and we don't build apartments complexes suitable for families. Single people don't want to live beside babies, and young families don't want to live beside a bunch of students. We don't even have enforcement of antisocial activity, that would force people to act with respect of their neighbours. So while what you say its true in theory and in practice in Europe. It are incapable of doing this in Ireland. We build to make a fast buck. That is why its shambles. We will not build a mix that is suitable for all types. Which is why people get trapped in unstable housing. The banks won't let them move, the govt sits on their hands.

Advertisement