Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Deposit

Options
  • 25-07-2017 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi all just moved out of an apartment in Dublin and the letting agency want to keep our deposit for

1. A stain on the matress €204 (the size of a 2 Euro coin)
    2. Not cutting grass in 6 months €50
    3. Downstairs loo not to their satisfaction

What are my rights here? The stain was there when I moved in. The grass was not cut we dint have a lawnmower but it's not as if it was very long maybe above my ankles and I scrubbed the downstairs loo.

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Argue the mattress. I would maybe accept the grass. So that leaves how much for the bathroom? Id be argueing that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

If they didn't supply you a means of cutting it ,then they have a responsibility to do it ,
    Stains on mattress likely well used before you got there ,

Laughable them holding out on the deposit

Do you have proof the stain was already there

• Administrators Posts: 53,839 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How much is the deposit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Inform them that unless they are willing to provide evidence to the RTB justifying deductions that you are expecting the full amount back. Agent may be aiming high so you'll accept a lower amount and hey presto easy money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Ask them for a date stamped photo of the jacks and mattress before moving in.
    It should be handed back in as like condition

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They might be trying a fast one, wouldn't surprise me.
    Ask what precisely is wrong with the toilet.
    See if kids in the area are willing to cut the grass. Is there a brown bin for it?

Ask for everything in writing as you "may need to share the details with others".

https://www.threshold.ie/advice/ending-a-tenancy/how-to-get-your-deposit-back/

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭utmbuilder

and if they dont have you registered with the RTB they will of coarse have to pay a late fee which will be a few hundred with registration

all though dont be surprised if you are registered these sound like they have been around the block

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Hmmm, sounds like they are making any old excuse to not give you back the full deposit. Hoping you would be a push-over.

Normally I would say get a lend of a lawnmower or strimmer from a friend and cut it. So you can turn around and say what's wrong with it now? etc.

But if they're pulling this sort then it is very possible that they will just keep coming up with other things. In any case fight it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Marykitty-

A security deposit is for damage over and above normal wear and tear.

1. The matress- unfortunately, they probably have you on this one, unless you can prove otherwise.
    2. Grass- legally the landlord is obliged to keep the exterior of the property, including any garden, in a reasonable state. They can offload this on the tenant in the tenant's lease- but only if they supply suitable equipment to conduct the maintenance. They didn't give you a lawnmower- QED- you're off the hook on that one.
    3. Downstairs loo- I'm not really clear what the issue is? Is it damaged- or just dirty? If its damaged, you are liable, if its just dirty- while disgusting, unless they specifically have a lease item covering cleaning- you're in the clear (and even if they do- I'd argue the case, as a lease cannot detract from your Part IV rights).

So- tough luck with the matress, you're definitely in the clear regarding the grass- and I'd 100% definitely argue the case regarding the toilet.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,839 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I would describe a small stain on a mattress as normal wear and tear.

Advertisement