Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I lost my job after 3 months

Options
  • 25-07-2017 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I've had a great working experience and CV until March 2017. This March I started in a new IT company in Dublin and things went wrong from the first month. I was fired after 3 months.

At first I thought 'ok, I can simply leave a 3 or 4-month gap on my CV, pretending I wasn't working since March', but a friend told me any new employer would find out that I was employed during that period. Could anybody tell me if that's true? I'd definitely prefer to leave my CV as it was until March, and simply say that I've been unemployed since then. I wouldn't lie, just wouldn't include this company I've been working for in the last 3 months.

Thanks for your advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

They will know when they see the P45, as it will have the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

myshirt wrote: »

Dont give them your P45, register the employment online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

myshirt wrote: »

Just don't give them your P45, say it was lost. Just ring Revenue yourself with the new companys details and assign your credits over that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 miguelba

Thanks both. I suspected that about the p45. How would I register the employment online? This IT company didn't provide any p45, but I still have the p45 from my previous employer.

miguelba wrote: »
    Thanks both. I suspected that about the p45. How would I register the employment online? This IT company didn't provide any p45, but I still have the p45 from my previous employer.

They have to give P45. However, your new employee doesn't need see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

miguelba wrote: »

Register for myaccount.

https://www.ros.ie/myaccount-web/home.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

So the advice is to lie to the next employer, getting off to a good start with that one.

Be honest say you took a job with X and it didnt work out, no need for details. Dont put them down as a reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭daheff

If i were you id say you went travelling etc for a few months and are back lookong for work again

As others said dont give p45 for this company to new co. BUT do get a P45 from them. Chase up if they dont give it to you soon. You'll need it for social welfare if you need to claim.

Good luck with the job hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

Your p45 details will be on the p2c file that they will get from revenue when you register with them, however they might not spot it or care. If it bothers you that much you can just lie and say you did a few hours to help out in a family members shop or something. (The key to successfully lying is to lie about something you know and keep it simple so you're less likely to say something that'll trip you up. Make it boring and uninterested and no one will ask any further questions)

I work in payroll and last year got a new p2c cert for an existing employee saying she had a large amount of income from previous employment and had paid 40% tax on it so as a result her weekly pay in my company generated a big tax refund. I checked with her to make sure it wasn't a mistake, but I was wary of asking for too much personal information. I didn't want to be nosey, she's a professional and if she had extra earnings on the side it's her own business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PAKNET

What were you fired for?
    Gross misconduct?
    Or just not a fit/job not as expected?

IT is a very broad industry, it would not be uncommon for someone to move on within a few months because the job was not quite what was anticipated.

Bear in mind that there is always a small chance that someone in your prospect employer knows someone in the company you departed from so that could generate some awkward questions in the future if it were to be discovered!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

been in iT and financial services for 20years.
    been fired twice within 5 month
    one was left on my CV as I could explain away it being a new field.
    The other was eliminated...dragged the previous job forward 1 month and said I took time off to travel.

nobody ever bothered to actually check,

also remember unless it's a tiny company (an the boss does many roles) HR will handle your P45 not your boss.
    All HR will care if getting you on the system, your boss won't bother with your P45 (in any case it would probably be gobbledigook to them)

in short , nobody will care enough to notice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I interviewed about 50 people a couple of years ago for 10 roles. Any time I suspected of lying about their employment history, and there were at least 2 that I remember, but there could have been more, it was a red flag in my mind. One guy who told me straight that he got fired, and explained why, I weighed everything else and hired him anyway. He worked out OK and I see on Facebook/LinkedIn etc. that he is still with the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I interviewed about 50 people a couple of years ago for 10 roles. Any time I suspected of lying about their employment history, and there were at least 2 that I remember, but there could have been more, it was a red flag in my mind. One guy who told me straight that he got fired, and explained why, I weighed everything else and hired him anyway. He worked out OK and I see on Facebook/LinkedIn etc. that he is still with the company.

Who's to say he wasn't lying either, his sacking stories may have been spun to make it look better "I was sacked as I pushed for better work process and the companies culture was against change". I've heard rubbish (and I found out they were lies) like that in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Senna wrote: »
    Who's to say he wasn't lying either, his sacking stories may have been spun to make it look better "I was sacked as I pushed for better work process and the companies culture was against change". I've heard rubbish (and I found out they were lies) like that in the past.

The story he told me was about a very specific incident that led to a disciplinary process and a sacking. He didn't paint himself to be blameless, but he did feel that sacking was an overreaction on the company's part. The point is, he told me the truth, or a version of it, and I was able to give him the benefit of the doubt, and it worked out for everyone. If he had tried to hide the sacking, and the reason for it, and I had spotted that he was hiding something, then I would have been wary of the unknown, and it would have probably been a no.

I've heard the "I left to go travelling" line when I had reason to believe it wasn't true, and I've received two CVs for the same person with different employment histories, and I've seen CVs that didn't match LinkedIn employment histories, and those people didn't get hired. Mostly because of what might have been behind the deception, (and to a small extent for the lack of attention to detail, which was a requirement for the job).

OP, if it wasn't your fault, explain what happened to the interviewer, without bullls**t. If it was partly or completely your fault (and be honest with yourself), then say you made a mistake and that you learned from it. In the current job market, being fired doesn't make you unemployable by any means.

Edit: Oh, yeah, just to add, be very careful that the next job and the next company is the right fit. You're interviewing them as much as they're interviewing you. You don't want two problems on your CV within a short period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

Great advice been given here....most recruiters will have to assume that someone who lies in small ways is capable of lying bigger ways....thats the reality...hiring the wrong person his just so messy...they have to err on the side of caution...so if you are going to be "economical with the truth" be damm sure you have thought it through and can't be found out...

My advice would be..if in doubt..tell the truth....most mature recruiters would say that if you join a company and are gone in three months that something was fundamentally wrong....bad fit...poor choice..incompetent recruiter.....they won't blame you if everything else stacks up and you have a plausible explanation.

Personally, when recruiting I am much more worried about people who have moved jobs and stayed around 1 year...thats typically how long it takes to figure out that someone is under performing in a role and they are "managed out". Most companies like to get people out cleanly with a couple of months salary...no drama .. no fuss...but someone else's problem,..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Personally, when recruiting I am much more worried about people who have moved jobs and stayed around 1 year...thats typically how long it takes to figure out that someone is under performing in a role and they are "managed out". Most companies like to get people out cleanly with a couple of months salary...no drama .. no fuss...but someone else's problem,..
    On the other side of the coin, there's also not exactly a plentiful supply of jobs that people are happy to remain in medium to long term, and remain motivated and respected in; in a booming market especially it's not automatically a case of under performing if someone is moving around, but rather that they are exploiting the market to find better opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

I left a role (by choice) after 9 weeks a number of years ago - and I left it on my CV for a while as it is easily explainable and I had (past tense) always felt that honesty was the best policy. But as time went on it seemed to draw negative attention, and was always something that would need an explanation in interviews. In the end I got to the point that I felt it was a distraction causing more harm than good and I removed it and "refactored" my CV accordingly.

Simply put the company interviewed me for role A, and put me in role B - while we like to think of ourselves as being somewhat flexible to our employers needs, this was beyond being flexible and would have had resulted in "negative career issues". Personally I feel that company was somewhat underhanded, but ultimately it reflects negatively on me while not necessarily my fault - so it's better gone.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 miguelba

Yes, my situation is similar to what you're describing: I was hired for a bilingual job where I was supposed to work both in English and Spanish 50% of the time for each language. The truth is that I was working in English like 95% of the time. I was the only non-native English speaker in the team and I had trouble keeping up. I was doing the same job in another company before, but there we were all working in both English and our native languages, so I never felt I was underperforming.
    I could say that on any job interview, but I'm afraid they'll call this company for references or something.

Advertisement