Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain

Options
  • 25-07-2017 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Any suggestions on how to prepare to face the rain? Equipment and gear wise.

Got my first road bike back in April, and fully prepped for cycling in nice weather after building up to spd cleats and shoes, bib shorts and a jersey but finding myself unprepared for rain.

I know there's no way of keeping myself and the bike clean but can anyone advise me on what's best to invest in first from past experience?

Worst thing i've found is the stained bib shorts and wet shoes, i've no problem with the bike getting filthy as i enjoy cleaning it so thinking of investing in overshoes first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Mudguards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

I find washing bib shorts regularly is a good idea, rain or not. Otherwise, yep get overshoes, and mudguards.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Don't fall into the trap:

cycling_in_rain.jpg

:)

As already mentioned, mudguards, overshoes and a lightweight rain resistant cape - ideally something you can fit into your back pocket. Can't really do much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Mudguards are for the weak.

Dress properly and don't cycle into a puddle you can't see the bottom of

• Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Lumen wrote: »
    Mudguards are for the weak.

Dress properly and don't cycle into a puddle you can't see the bottom of
    Mudguards are a common courtesy to the cyclist behind you.
    And do save you from getting soaked, long after it's stopped raining. Unlike going commando which recycles the ground water to soak you and the person behind you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

A breathable rain jacket that is cut for cycling, with a longer tail will help.
    Overshoes
    If you can't bear mudguards then you can get an ass saver butin fairness you can get some pretty small clip on mudguards and they do keep crud off you and the bike and stop you spraying people behind you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,839 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Turbo trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

1. Overshoes
    2. Packable rain layer
    3. Mudguards
    4. New bike (you never need a reason)
    5. Look up Rule V, see the rain, smile and get out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭HowItsMade

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Turbo trainer.

mainly commuting! won't get far with the turbo trainer haha

right, seems like mudguards are the way to go, thanks.

As for winter cycling do most people just bare through with shorts or would it be worth investing in full length bib shorts? not sure if they'll be restrictive or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

HowItsMade wrote: »

As for winter cycling do most people just bare through with shorts or would it be worth investing in full length bib shorts? not sure if they'll be restrictive or not.

As a cold blooded wimp I go with long legs, base layer and decent winter jacket in the cold months. Also neoprene over shoes, winter gloves, and thin beanie under the helmet. HTFU is for the young bloods and masochists, warm and comfortable suits me way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You will need full length winter bibs if you intend to cycle through the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ted1 wrote: »
    Mudguards are a common courtesy to the cyclist behind you....
    On a winter club ride certainly but in other circumstances, I don't really get this. If someone wishes to draft me on a solo ride/commute, then they must be prepared to pay the price - otherwise just back off or overtake.

To me common courtesy is applying the parking brake at night at traffic lights to avoid burning the eyes out of the motorist behind - a courtesy very few other motorists show to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

To me common courtesy is applying the parking brake at night at traffic lights to avoid burning the eyes out of the motorist behind - a courtesy very few other motorists show to me.
    Do you drive Formula 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

At least a rear mudguard. Nothing worse than a freezing line of water hitting your crack for the length of your ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Dress to stay warm, you'll never manage to stay dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Macy0161

They shouldn't be any more restrictive than bib shorts, but obviously depends on how they fit you.

Not sure if it's backed by research or it's a cycling equivalent of "bro-science" but the normal advice is to cover the knees in cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

I would go for "Raceblades" or similar rather than full mudguards - I use them all year round on the commuter and take them on and off the training bike as required during the winter!

Just hit the Order button on a set of Crud mudguards and dhb overshoes from wiggle, hopefully they do the job til next pay day...

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭gwakamoley

You will need full length winter bibs if you intend to cycle through the winter.

I find a pair of cheap leggings over or under my bib-shorts work well without having to fork out for expensive full length bibs...but maybe I'm just looking for my full length bibs in the wrong place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ted1 wrote: »
    Mudguards are a common courtesy to the cyclist behind you....
    On a winter club ride certainly but in other circumstances, I don't really get this. If someone wishes to draft me on a solo ride/commute, then they must be prepared to pay the price - otherwise just back off or overtake.

So you cycle in the city? I wouldn't call lining up at lights as drafting. Or going along a cycle path

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Leg warmers are handy for the cold mornings and can be removed easily if it's warmer later.
    I use them nearly all through winter, only needing the tights maybe for a month or so if there's a really cold snap. Hadn't gotten that cold these last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Azza89

+1 on avoiding a cool stream of water to the backside, it's not the nicest but then I still haven't bought mudguards so it doesn't bother me too much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Leg warmers are handy for the cold mornings and can be removed easily if it's warmer later.
    I use them nearly all through winter, only needing the tights maybe for a month or so if there's a really cold snap. Hadn't gotten that cold these last few years.

Knee and arm warmers this morning ... as well as shoe covers ... where did the summer go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

win the "follow summer around the world jackpot" and cycling in sunshine all year round, no need then for mudguards overshoes rain jackets etc.

Rule V, check the weather and dress accordingly and just go for it, you are going to sweat, perspire or gently glow so staying dry either way is not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Lidl/aldi occasionally do unpadded tights which are great for winter - wear them under your shorts. They are basically nylon tights like women would wear under a skirt, but they are opaque and don't look like women's tights. They may be polyester rather than nylon.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

I put one of these Topeak defenders on my bike last winter. Lads in group spin said it was angling the spray directly in their face and would I mind taking it off as no mudguard was better!
    Must get race blades or equivalent for this winter.

crud raceblades came today and dont fit my giant road bike running 25mm tires, not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

crud raceblades came today and dont fit my giant road bike running 25mm tires, not impressed.
    I'm in the same boat. Have to run 23mm on my winter bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Raceblades (XL I think) fit my Giant Defy with 25mm GPSII tyres anyway.

Advertisement