Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frampton/Gutierrez, Garica/Broner, Katie Taylor

• 25-07-2017 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

Good weekend for boxing coming up despite it being the middle of Summer.

Carl's back in action this weekend in Belfast since he lost to Leo Santa Cruz with a possible shot against Gary Russell junior or Lee Selby if he make it through it.
    It's on channel 5 if anyone's looking out for tv coverage

Katie Taylor is on the undercard of the Mickey Garcia Adrien Broner fight.
    Jermall Charlo is moving up in weight
    Those fights are on sky sports

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Charlo is going to be a serious contender at MW. He was really struggling to make so this is the right move for him. I think he will give the GGG/Canelo winner a serious challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Frampton should steer clear of Gary Russell Jr, wouldn't give him a chance of winning that fight and not much money in it. He ducked Rigo for those reasons so I don't see that fight happening anyway.

Selby is the one that makes the most sense. 50/50 fight and makes good money, I think Selby might be a bit too slick for him but it's a cracking fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I was thinking the same thing as regards Russell. Frampton is a great boxer-puncher, but I think Russell's speed and above average power could really cause Frampton issues. Loma had to work so so hard to beat Russell in an excellently competitive fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Charlo is a tougher fight for GGG than Canelo imo. Would love to see that next year.

Frampton should hopefully win via KO this weekend. Opponent looks tailor-made for Carl.

Also expecting Mikey Garcia to make fairly straightforward work of Broner. Probably goes to points but wouldn't be surprised to see a late stoppage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭megadodge

walshb wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing as regards Russell. Frampton is a great boxer-puncher, but I think Russell's speed and above average power could really cause Frampton issues. Loma had to work so so hard to beat Russell in an excellently competitive fight.

I don't disagree with your view of Russell, but Loma won that fight fairly comfortably. It was competitive early on, but as each round passed Loma became more and more dominant. In the end Russell really had that 'there's nothing I can do' look about him.

• Advertisement

megadodge wrote: »
    I don't disagree with your view of Russell, but Loma won that fight fairly comfortably. It was competitive early on, but as each round passed Loma became more and more dominant. In the end Russell really had that 'there's nothing I can do' look about him.

I agree....Loma did win deservedly. I more meant that even when he was looking more in control, that control was really hard effort and him working very hard to establish that control.

pac_man wrote: »
    That fight is really underrated and doesn't get the recognition it deserves.Not a barnburner or anything like it, just a good technical fight. I think a rematch would be even a better spectacle as both fighters have grown and look to be in their peak. Watching Lomachenko in action is just beautiful.

A super high paced intense and cleanly-fairly fought masterclass from both...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Frampton a 1lb over the weight.
    Why wasn't he given a couple of hours to lose the pound? Do the WBC not give that option? Bit sloppy from Carl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Carl :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Anyone think Mikeys power will carry over in the higher weight ? I dont think its as straightforward a fight as others think . A close pts win for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Let's be honest. It's highly likely that he doesn't want to be No1 Contender to Gary Russel Jr. Missing weight means it's not a WBC eliminator. Disappointing if true...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Let's be honest. It's highly likely that he doesn't want to be No1 Contender to Gary Russel Jr. Missing weight means it's not a WBC eliminator. Disappointing if true...

Yep i think thats nailed on what happened here. Couldn't be more obvious.

Very disappointing from Frampton, fight with Selby won't be happening now either.

Frampton will probably move up and target someone like Corrales - the WBA super feather champ.

No point in even mentioning him with Lomachenko because he won't be going near that fight. Don't think hell fight Davis either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭megadodge

Jesus lads, those last few posts are pathetic.

Some night of boxing tomorrow..

Broner 1.25 lbs under the LWW limit and Garcia .5 lbs under.

Has Broner overcooked it? At this level it can be the little things that make differences..

Frampton fight is off. Gutierrez in an accident apparently. ****ing hell.

Balls!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Just heard the same, slipped in the shower apparently!

From the ticket fiasco to weight to this, disaster from start to finish!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Hahaha anyone swallowing that? Frampton misses weight then homeboy ''slips'' and cant fight some operation.

• Advertisement

Gamebred wrote: »
    Hahaha anyone swallowing that? Frampton misses weight then homeboy ''slips'' and cant fight some operation.

I am not getting this..

Missing weight happens..

Fights getting called off last minute happens...

I am not getting this..

Missing weight happens..

Postpone it a few weeks and it becomes a wbc eliminator again, was just a nothing fight for Frampton having missed weight.

Gamebred wrote: »
    I am not getting this..

Missing weight happens..

Postpone it a few weeks and it becomes a wbc eliminator again, was just a nothing fight for Frampton having missed weight.
    There's no conspiracy here ffs. Gutierrez was just on BBC. Teeth literally in bits. Face mangled. Freak accident.

Time for Frampton to move on and get the Selby fight sorted for Belfast end of year instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Kenny Egan was spot on, listen back on off the ball. Frampton missing weight by 1 pound is perfect. He wins he don't have to face Russel jnr more money fighting Selby genius

If he does make weight he still doesn't "have to" face Russell...

What's all this bollix about set ups and sh1t?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Frampton fight is a huge mess. Seems genuine but a crazy mess nonetheless.

Broner/Garcia is a very interesting fight. There's definitely value to be had in backing Broner. It's a coinflip whether he'll actually show up or not but if motivated and looking to prove something I can easily see him dominate. There's a phenomenal fighter in there. Mikey is a beast though and obviously favourite given recent events/fights. I like Mikey Garcia but the sickness in me is rooting for Broner to win. I don't even know why man.

I honestly think Garcia is amazing value at 2/5. Was 1/7 little over a month ago. Very surprised by the money piling in on Broner.

I'll be very surprised if Garcia doesn't win fairly clear.

Damn didn't realise the odds have changed so drastically. I got Broner @5s a while back but surprised to see him @2s in a lot of places. I did hear rumours that Garcia is sick and that making the weight was tough.

I'm basing that Broner has a live chance in that the guys he's struggled with are come forward hyper aggressive guys who got in his face. Garcia is a hell of a fighter and a hell of a boxer and it's likely he finds a way to get it done, but if Broner turns up with purpose I'd give him a great shot. He's got the faster hands and feet and I think he's fighting at his ideal weight while Garcia moving up and fighting a talented big guy is a factor.

It's probably last chance saloon for Broner to make it big even though he's only 27. He made weight with ease and was well under which is interesting in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭squinn2912

That's an interesting take on it. Can frampton be accused of cherry picking? He ducked Riga already

• Advertisement

Zou Shiming found out again. If anyone comes across a link for that fight, would you kindly post it in here.
    https://youtu.be/Hdv32MKiJvQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

Is Garcia/Broner on tv?

Sky have it AFAIK. Their new channel system is a bit of a mess to get used to so no clue which one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Burial. wrote: »
    Sky have it AFAIK. Their new channel system is a bit of a mess to get used to so no clue which one.

It doesn't.

It's on Sky Sports Action, whatever channel that is.

Johner wrote: »
    It's on Sky Sports Action, whatever channel that is.

Now Sky channel 407

Coverage starts at 0100 'tonight.'

• Advertisement

We won't see Katie fight. Showtime will only be showing Charlo and Broner fights..

They will have a YouTube stream from just after midnight Irish time. Katie up first on that..

It will probably be a delayed broadcast but surely sky will show the Katie fight?

Yes, they may show it recorded. But she should be done and dusted by 0100.

What time will Katie be on?

Cheers, if I find a link I'll throw it up. Who do you fancy for the main event?

Garcia points...

But a real toss up..

What's Garcia's chin like at the higher weight?

Broner isn't dynamite, but he can hit a bit..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Has stream started for anyone else yet, or is it for 1am ?

• Advertisement

Taylor suited and booted 15 mins ago and hitting pads..

Link not playing yet!

The betting in the main even stinks, theres 14 million trying to lay Garcia on betfair right now.

Cali_girl wrote: »

Nice link..

Tempted to turn off. These mismatches are just repetitive one way traffic snoozefests...

Over..

Just nonsense really..

Nice link..

Tempted to turn off. These mismatches are just repetitive one way traffic snoozefests...

Yup...couldn't watch the last few, this is looking almost worse. Nothing Katie can do but go through what's put in front of her but it's barely watchable I think....

ooh, and there she goes!

Cali_girl wrote: »
    Yup...couldn't watch the last few, this is looking almost worse. Nothing Katie can do but go through what's put in front of her but it's barely watchable I think....

My exact thoughts..the opposition tonight was worse..

Whose sanctioning these fights, no disrespect but that girl is a complete bum with a losing record, her and Conlan are a joke with these world bum tours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Caught last minute of fight. Hopefully she gets a better challenge before her title fight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement