Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will any bike shop let you have a test?

Options
  • 25-07-2017 9:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭

Been in to my 2 local sellers and they won't hear of it, they don't even have pedals on the bikes ffs.

Have never been on a racer before so need a tester, don't know what I want, racer or "endurance" road bike, is their really much difference?

If none will give me a test sure I may aswell buy online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

A good LBS will want you to be entirely happy with your purchase, and as such will encourage you to get more than up close and personal with the bikes.

That said, you need to care about what you are testing. Rocking up and saying "Give us a spin on that yoke" will rightly get you shown the door. If you explain what you are looking for, what your budget is, and give that feeling that you actually want to buy from them, they tend to be much more forgiving.

That said, when I was shopping for my first bike in years, 3 years or so ago now, I was asked on occasion to leave security with them to make sure. My phone and wallet in my bag was sufficient.

Good luck with your search!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

I was disgusted when I came to buying my first Road bike - plenty of well established shops expected me to just order a 1500 euro purchase without seeing it in any size in most cases and without a test spin for sure. Happy to recommend bikeworx who setup the bike for me with pedals, and let me have a decent test spin on it.
    I'll just add that while bikeworx happened to have a few of the bike I was considering, in stock but they also had other bikes which they were happy to set up for test spins. the other shops did not have any bikes that they wanted to give me a spin on. As you say OP you do need to try to understand the difference between endurance and race bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

Try cycle superstore, they have an area to test drive the bike.. also have a bike fitting service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭BAAA RAM EWE

Gerry wrote: »
    I was disgusted when I came to buying my first Road bike - plenty of well established shops expected me to just order a 1500 euro purchase without seeing it in any size in most cases and without a test spin for sure. Happy to recommend bikeworx who setup the bike for me with pedals, and let me have a decent test spin on it.
    Honestly I'm getting fed up already, It took me a week to find out which fool at work I had to talk to to get the BTW scheme rolling, from the waste of time visits to my 2 lbs today it turns out I've been sent wrong, work does it through travelhub and I was supposed to have some form with me today, first I'd heard of it.

I'll try the next county over tomorrow and see do I get more than a look up and down and "Heres a great 56 frame bike in your budget"

The summer will be over again I get my head around all the options and differences.

I'll end up just buying some POS out of fatigue/frustration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭BAAA RAM EWE

No air in the tyres today either, I'm surprised their was a wheel on the bike at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they don't even have pedals on the bikes ffs.
    you know bikes ship without pedals?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

Luckily pedals are still a standard thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I don't know if it is just Dublin, or if I was asking all the right questions, and acting as if I was going to buy, but in four or five shops that I tried before purchasing my current bike all allowed me to take a bike out, no questions asked, in fact they all suggested it, not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... they don't even have pedals on the bikes ffs....
    ....It took me a week to find out which fool at work I had to talk to to get the BTW scheme rolling....
    Has it occurred to you that you/your attitude may be the problem and that the bike shops may be suspicious of you?

Referring to the person at work who processes the BTW scheme as a 'fool' is really helpful.

Bikes don't come supplied with pedals for a reason - cyclists have preferences for different types of pedals/shoes (Smimano SPD, Shimano SPD SL, Look, Speedplay etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

I bought my bike from Wheelworx a few years ago. I had an option to return in within 90 days if not 100% happy. So you just need to pick the right bike shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

strmin wrote:
    I bought my bike from Wheelworx a few years ago. I had an option to return in within 90 days if not 100% happy. So you just need to pick the right bike shop.

Jesus, that's customer service, good few scratches etc on mine after 90 days. Not a hope it would have been taken back. Take your time choosing, it can be very frustrating looking, but it's worth it. Best of luck

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Been in to my 2 local sellers and they won't hear of it, they don't even have pedals on the bikes ffs.

Have never been on a racer before so need a tester, don't know what I want, racer or "endurance" road bike, is their really much difference?

If none will give me a test sure I may aswell buy online.

Reason you use your local bike shop is primarily about service and expertise in giving you the bike that bests suits you, my experience of the small local bike shops I've used has been first class. If you feel you're not getting this, go to a different shop. If it is your first serious bike, you want to be happy with the crew you're buying it from, as chances are they'll also be looking after servicing / warranty repairs etc.. as well as general advice. Online can be great value if you know what you want and are handy with bikes, but a bit of a risk for a first bike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm not going to name the shop, but the very first time i was in a fairly well known bike shop, they let me take a bike out for a spin. i think you're possibly more likely to be allowed do this if you arrive with someone else (i was with my wife, who stayed in the shop). someone they've never seen before arriving on their own is probably less likely to be trusted.

anyway, i was impressed with the friendliness of the staff in the shop above until i realised that the bike they were trying to sell me - responding affirmatively to an explicit question as to whether it was the current model - was actually the previous year's model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Yep Wheelworx never seemed to have an issue with test rides, set the bike up with pedals, saddle height and loaned a helmet to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

Base2Race, Ballymount also allow a test ride

• Registered Users Posts: 8,839 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

CS used to require a credit card swipe to the value of the bike before a test ride would be allowed...

Though for the majority of LBS there's not a whole lot of scope for having test bikes in stock, and if there are then you'd have to be fairly well known to the shop owners...

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

my lbs told me to take the bike out for a few hours... i chickened out after about 30 mins of a test spin in case i stacked it (much more aggressive geometry than i previously had)

given you'll be riding this for a few years dont take 'no test rides' from a bike shop. go somewhere that will oblige you some time on a few models and build a relationship with the staff, i was into my lbs a few times gawking and chatting with the sales staff before even asking about a test ride.

Advertisement