Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Army Ranger Wing

Options
  • 25-07-2017 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭

see the new video the defence forces have released . looks great , but the question i have is what is he saying in the backround . my irish wouldnt be the best but it almost sounds like an irish version of the ranger creed that the us rangers have or am i completely off ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Very well made video. Fair play lads!
    They look top notch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

ya its the first proper video of the rangers ive seen . makes a nice change to see a video that presents them as professional as any other special forces unit in the world .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭sparky42

I do love the Indo trying to make an article out of the fact that the photo released with the Minister had the faces blurred? What did they think exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

see the new video the defence forces have released . looks great , but the question i have is what is he saying in the backround . my irish wouldnt be the best but it almost sounds like an irish version of the ranger creed that the us rangers have or am i completely off ?

I hear something like "I'm of the Finn-Oglaigh (The Fianna?), brother of Fionn MacChumhaill, ..." I didn't get any of the rest.

Edit: Actually, I see "Fianoglach" is on their crest, and is part of their title.

I hear something like "I'm of the Finn-Oglaigh (The Fianna?), brother of Fionn MacChumhaill, ..." I didn't get any of the rest.

Actually, I see "Fianoglach" is on their crest, and is part of their title.

ya Fianoglach is their name . i think Fianoglach is the accepted translation for Ranger and the full proper name for the unit is SciathFiannigh an Airm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Great video, and article. Glad to see them getting some recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Is that blacked out tricolour patch a standard ARW one or general defence forces?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Is that blacked out tricolour patch a standard ARW one or general defence forces?

It's an IR patch (infrared)

(Open to correction )

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Not fans of the Steyr then, are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Not fans of the Steyr then, are they?

Interoperability, as you know, is a key to SF operations.

Unless they are going to operate overseas with Australians, Saudis, Austrians, even, not many nations use the Steyr AUG.

s'nice though - my pal Adrian has one here in yUK - straight-pull though.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

As an outsider...what is the purpose of this video? Is it for recruitment purposes within the armed forces, or maybe for the general public?
    It looks well, but the Irish language would be lost on 90% of the population...my own brother in law is a serving NCO and he wanted me to translate for him... any ideas? I'm just curious really

Think just how useful it would be to have an SF unit that spoke a language that nobody else [prolly] could understand! It would make secure comms totally unnecessary, and mean that clear speech could be used.

Think about the Navajo coders in WW2 - the 'Wind talkers'. Using their own language totally confounded the Japanese who may have been listening, especially as they used their language in a double-speak code.

The same, of course, would apply to Welsh or Basque - even Hungarian or Finnish......

AAMOI, have you ever come across an Irish speaker in another country?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Quite surprised that they are using ACOGs with RMR mounted. Rather antiquated, issues with ITAR restrictions?

tac foley wrote: »
    Think just how useful it would be to have an SF unit that spoke a language that nobody else [prolly] could understand! It would make secure comms totally unnecessary, and mean that clear speech could be used.

Think about the Navajo coders in WW2 - the 'Wind talkers'. Using their own language totally confounded the Japanese who may have been listening, especially as they used their language in a double-speak code.

The same, of course, would apply to Welsh or Basque - even Hungarian or Finnish......

Actually, the Irish language is one of the most studied in academia.
    You can take Celtic linguistics in a few universitys (Oslo comes to mind)
    It's the only language that begins the sentence with a verb....so it would be useless as a "code" language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I think its very good, and I do like the voice over - I believe the whole Fianna bit gives them identity and "heritage" .
    But I'd personally prefer this video . Particularly the shooting the moving ground target from the helicopter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

The coy besieged at Jadoville were speaking Gaelic in their rt coms. Would you believe 2 Irish citizens in Kenya were translating and passing the content back to the gendarmie? ( I learned that from Cmdt Quinlan's son at a presentation he gives about the siege)

BTW, there was a U.S Marine who taught himself fluent Gaelic whilst he served in Iraq

Traitors.

It was only an idea, not a serious suggestion. Personally, I've NEVER met anybody on my travels who spoke Irish, but then I work mainly in Tokyo.

tac

Traitors.

It was only an idea, not a serious suggestion. Personally, I've NEVER met anybody on my travels who spoke Irish, but then I work mainly in Tokyo.

tac

I met an ex British soldier in Prague who was working in private security, I was introduced to him, we chatted for a while about football
    etc, I I asked where he had been stationed when he served and and he said Northern Ireland, he then proceeded to talk to me in Irish with a Belfast accent...caught me by surprise I'll tell you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Interoperability, as you know, is a key to SF operations.

Unless they are going to operate overseas with Australians, Saudis, Austrians, even, not many nations use the Steyr AUG.

s'nice though - my pal Adrian has one here in yUK - straight-pull though.

tac

Realistically, is a deployed SF unit ever going to be short on spare parts and magazines? "Oi! Yanks! I need to borrow a buffer spring...."

• Advertisement

However, with rather more experience of interoperability than Ranger Wing, the British Army has often found itself exchanging their 24hr RATPACKS for necessary shared components of various items, particularly in 'stan.

I was simply discussing a point of possibility, not inquiring why or why not it did or did not take place.

tac

Rough translation of whats being said in the video . complements of CrabRevolution over on the irish forum

I am a Ranger
    Son of Cumhall and Brother of Fionn Mac Cumhaill
    I am one of Na Fianna
    Acknowledging my heritage and my current comrades, until my day is over
    I fully accept/obey my (?), my duties and my (?)

I am a Ranger
    I am a leader
    I will show respect to all.
    (Something about honest words and solemn promises)
    I fully accept that at your signal (?), I will always come prepared

I am a Ranger
    I will follow my part in the mission without (?)
    I will be (?) during combat*
    I will not let down my comrades
    I will be un(something) when I am protecting them
    Because together we are Na Fianna
    And I am a Ranger.

(I keep hearing neamhdhleathach, which is "unlawful"....or maybe neamhlaofa which is "unbiased", neither fits really)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭sparky42

Erik Shin wrote: »
    As an outsider...what is the purpose of this video? Is it for recruitment purposes within the armed forces, or maybe for the general public?

The cynic in me wonders if it's a PR move by DF in light of the attention being paid to security (ie the Garda units doing exercises in Dublin?).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

I bet Mossad have never used Welsh, but then, what do I know?

Obviously, very little.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Eamonok

I would agree with the point it being a PR move, the Irish generally don't have much respect for our military (probably would be completely different now if we had participated in WW2) and especially with the young generation expecting military life to be similar to video games, it brings a bit of badass and well deserved respect to the IDF! To be honest, the way things are going I can see the Irish being involved in international conflict soon enough, especially now we are only down to a triple lock neutrality, and after that, the public would hopefully give them more respect! What are yer general thoughts about Irish participantion in conflicts?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Eamonok wrote: »
    I would agree with the point it being a PR move, the Irish generally don't have much respect for our military (probably would be completely different now if we had participated in WW2) and especially with the young generation expecting military life to be similar to video games, it brings a bit of badass and well deserved respect to the IDF! To be honest, the way things are going I can see the Irish being involved in international conflict soon enough, especially now we are only down to a triple lock neutrality, and after that, the public would hopefully give them more respect! What are yer general thoughts about Irish participantion in conflicts?

They should steer clear of the IDF anyway! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Reckon the rangers must be fairly bored of landing at the same pier and storming the same buildings in whitegate.
    . . Watched them doing it , from Crosshaven a couple of weeks ago,
    . Sounded impressive anyway

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Rough translation of whats being said in the video . complements of CrabRevolution over on the irish forum

I am a Ranger
    Son of Cumhall and Brother of Fionn Mac Cumhaill
    I am one of Na Fianna
    Acknowledging my heritage and my current comrades, until my day is over
    I fully accept/obey my (?), my duties and my (?)

I am a Ranger
    I am a leader
    I will show respect to all.
    (Something about honest words and solemn promises)
    I fully accept that at your signal (?), I will always come prepared

I am a Ranger
    I will follow my part in the mission without (?)
    I will be (?) during combat*
    I will not let down my comrades
    I will be un(something) when I am protecting them
    Because together we are Na Fianna
    And I am a Ranger.

(I keep hearing neamhdhleathach, which is "unlawful"....or maybe neamhlaofa which is "unbiased", neither fits really)

Almost as stupid as the carry on with the motorbike 'gangs' in Limerick at war with each other over a logo on a leather jacket and drinking in somebody else's turf.
    Apart from costing the taxpayer hundreds of thousands of euro every year, what exactly do these Rangers do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Markcheese

washman3 wrote:
    Almost as stupid as the carry on with the motorbike 'gangs' in Limerick at war with each other over a logo on a leather jacket and drinking in somebody else's turf. Apart from costing the taxpayer hundreds of thousands of euro every year, what exactly do these Rangers do.

Assume they just mess around and play games most of the time? Oh and get filmed for videos (that definitely don't explain what they do)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement