Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job

Options
  • 25-07-2017 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

So a new job opportunity has come up for me for a new business that opening in a few weeks,more pay more responability and better hours but the downside is that my boss requires me to work 4weeks notice and this new fella want me to start in 2weeks,my boss wont accept the 2weeks as im in the company 11years im doing a managers job without the title and ive on the same rate as pay im on when i started with company (only pay rise i got was when miniuium wage went up)and ive been screwed out of holiday pay as well the past 4year with this current job 2 paying me 15hours holiday pay and my contract 30 hours and im been i dont have time worked up im in 2 minds about throwing in the towel and not even working my notice but that not good for 11years in the company any advice on what to do and finish up sooner tia :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭californiabear

Do you have a written contract for your current job that requires 4 weeks notice?

I don't understand the point you made about holiday pay - can you give more detail? Have you taken holidays and not been paid for them? The law provides for a basic annual leave entitlement of 4 weeks. Information from citizensinformation.ie:

Holiday pay: Pay in respect of annual leave is paid in advance at the normal weekly rate. If your pay varies because, for example, of commission or bonus payments, your pay for your holidays is the average of your pay over the 13 weeks before you take holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 wifey2017

Do you have a written contract for your current job that requires 4 weeks notice?

I don't understand the point you made about holiday pay - can you give more detail? Have you taken holidays and not been paid for them? The law provides for a basic annual leave entitlement of 4 weeks. Information from citizensinformation.ie:

Holiday pay: Pay in respect of annual leave is paid in advance at the normal weekly rate. If your pay varies because, for example, of commission or bonus payments, your pay for your holidays is the average of your pay over the 13 weeks before you take holidays.

Thanks for the reply in my contract it states the basic employment law for resigning and as im there 11 years it 4weeks notices thats required

As for holiday pay i get 4weeks paid a year but i dont get paid my contract hours e,g went on holidays for 2weeks in april and was only paid 60hours for 3weeks 30hours as my weeks wages and 30hours holiday pay 15hours each week...when questioned i was told it was correct by HR as it was all id worked up baring in mind my last weeks holiday would have been september

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

See if the new boss can wait 3 weeks and compromise with your current employer, they want 4, you want 2, we'll meet in the middle.

Depending on if you think you can get a reference from the old employer, I'd be leaving when the new employer asks. An employer that hasn't raised your wages in 11 years while giving you management task, is not someone you should have been as loyal too as you have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Dee01

To be honest OP, I wouldn't go burning any bridges. 4 weeks for 11 years isn't the worst notice to have to give. You're moving to a start up and if that doesn't work out, although you mightn't go back to the last place, you will definitely need the reference for the 11 year period. I would approach the new boss and expalin you must give 4 weeks notice, but you look forward to coming on board on x date. Personally I'd offer to work out of hours for any assistance they'd need in the 2 weeks they want you to start (I know lots wouldn't).

Good luck in the new role.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

The new boss should completely understand the requirement for you to give 4 weeks notice.

If the tables were turned down the line he might appreciate having 4 weeks to find a replacement for you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

wifey2017 wrote: »
    As for holiday pay i get 4weeks paid a year but i dont get paid my contract hours e,g went on holidays for 2weeks in april and was only paid 60hours for 3weeks 30hours as my weeks wages and 30hours holiday pay 15hours each week...when questioned i was told it was correct by HR as it was all id worked up baring in mind my last weeks holiday would have been september
    If this is still in dispute, now is a good time to bring it up again and push for a resolution, especially if you have now have a way to motivate the company.

If you have any holidays left to take this year, could they be used to bring your leaving date forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Straight up, If the company is insisting on 2 weeks with your level of experience this is a HUGE red flag and run a mile.

Seriously, 4 weeks is an absolute mimimum for someone currently in full time employment and if they dont understand this then this is the tip of an big iceberg of pain.

Walk away.

Advertisement